Jump to content

How to approach career change/ Masters IO Psych

Recommended Posts


In college I studied economics and have been working the last 3 years as a paralegal and Economics tutor.  I took several (4) statistics courses in college and one intro psych course ( which I got a B in). I did not take any research methods courses.  I am now interested in changing careers and going into industrial/organizational psychology as a Master's student (terminal Master's program). I have done research into schools + found several that I am interested in, but I am a little concerned about my background not being a match (especially since I don't have even a minor in Psych). My undergrad GPA was a 3.4, and I went to a top 20 private university in the US. Some of the programs specify requirements on their websites but some do not or keep it vague (ie. we "recommend" a research methods and I/O psych course).Should I contact the program coordinators where the requirements are not listed and ask about course pre-requisites? Should I include my transcripts when I contact them? I have done that in the past and the program lead said they require a certain number of credit hours in psychology. I am not sure how to best approach this. 

Any advice appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, try to contact the grad coordinator for the programs you are interested in and ask.  Many Pysch programs require a set of undergrad psychology classes, including a methods class, prior to admission. You may be able to take those through a local community college between now and next year to fulfill those requirements.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree that its best to research the programs as best you can and email the coordinators asking specifically about what prerequisites you need. Often they won't pre-assess your eligibility so sending your transcript may not be helpful. But you can ask for a number of credit hours or what courses are required. You could then take these courses as a non-degree/community student at a university or community college to fill the requirements, or may even be able to take them online. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.