2021 Applicants Forum

10 minutes ago, anna23 said:

Got rejected from Brown lol (of course) BUT.... I GOT ACCEPTED TO NORTHWESTERN FOR A MASTERS IN JOURNALISM!!

(I applied to journalism and creative writing) sooooo it looks like I'll be going to grad school after all! I still have 2 MFA programs left to hear back from since I only applied to 4. Exciting yet nerve-racking times!! 

That’s an amazing journalism program, congrats!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I GOT INTO SJCNY!!!!!!! I’M GOING TO COLLEGE. Brb I’m gonna go move my car and maybe cry happy tears a little bit.

Babes, I was just waitlisted at Michener for fiction!! ❤️❤️❤️

I just got accepted at Miami of Ohio (poetry)! My little ones and I just popped open the bottle of sparkling Welch's that has been sitting in the fridge door. I told them I got into an MFA and my d

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Cristie said:

So that's three then: Fairbanks, McNeese, and Alabama. 

Anyone know of any others to add to that list? I'd like to know for the next round just in case.

Cristie

Northwestern's program is also a dual MFA+MA.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from University of Washington's MFA program? do they email you or do you just check the portal?

Hope you all are doing okay in this insane application season!

9 minutes ago, lenagator1997 said:

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from University of Washington's MFA program? do they email you or do you just check the portal?

They'll email you if you're waitlisted. My portal didn't change after I got the email. 

8 minutes ago, fireflystasis said:

They'll email you if you're waitlisted. My portal didn't change after I got the email. 

Okay thanks good to know! I haven't gotten any email from them as of late so we will see!

37 minutes ago, lunch said:

Northwestern's program is also a dual MFA+MA.

That's 4...can we make it 5???

Off topic a bit but I have 4 poems, I CNF piece and a short story at the moment staked out in Submittable Land and I've gotten this almost exact rejection from 2 separate pubs recently. Is this a new kind of form rejection letter? Any one else getting this response?

Thank you for sending us  ">>>>>>>>>>>>". We appreciated the chance to read it. Although there was a lot to like here, it didn't quite come together for us in the end, and we regret to pass. Although we're sorry we don't have better news at this time, consider submitting to us again in the future!

Thanks again for thinking of us. Best of luck with this!
Sincerely,

57 minutes ago, lenagator1997 said:

Hey Guys,

They emailed all the acceptances and waitlists. I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but they said they reached out to everybody that's in.

16 minutes ago, mrvisser said:

They emailed all the acceptances and waitlists. I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but they said they reached out to everybody that's in.

Okay that makes more sense honestly! thank you!

55 minutes ago, elemves said:

wanna upvote but also don’t wanna change the trio. here’s my axe in stead 

Thank you for your consideration.

Holy crap, I almost forgot. When the hell are we gonna have this poetry Zoom meeting/informal workshop thing? DM me and I'll add you to a group message on here. I want this to happen so bad.

3 hours ago, CrankyGinger said:

That’s an amazing journalism program, congrats!

thank you so so much and thank you to everyone here for being so supportive and kind!! :)

Just going to throw out this plug, anyone else in here still waiting on USC (University of Southern California)? Like, I saw a ton of rejections go out a week ago, and still haven't heard anything. I'm honestly a bit confused, I was expecting they'd reject me pretty promptly... Anyone else in this boat with them? 

On 3/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, panglosian said:

Has this happened to anyone else? Mine still says under program review (active), but I don't want to get my hopes up. Portals are never reliable, but I'll let you know today if mine changes!

Hey! I'm new here, but I just noticed my University of Maryland (fiction) also says Under Grad School Review instead of Program review now too. 

Hey, all! I've read quite a lot of your posts. Keep hanging in there! I'm curious if anyone has heard from the following:

- University of Virginia (Charlottesville)*

- Boston University*

-John Hopkins*

-University of Maryland

-Iowa Writer's Workshop 

Rejected: Michener; Cornell; Vanderbilt; Michigan Helen Zell; Brown; GA State

Long term lurker here 👀

@SofiTheCatGuardian I believe Boston usually comes out late March/April. 

For Hopkins, I think notifications have gone out. At least I’ve seen them on Draft. For Maryland, I’ve seen some waitlists on draft as well. And for Iowa, I think you should be receiving a letter for waitlist or rejection any day now since a few have gotten it on Draft! 

Has anyone heard anything from NYU, Columbia, or The New School yet about waitlists or rejections? 

6 hours ago, iai said:

Has anyone heard anything from NYU, Columbia, or The New School yet about waitlists or rejections? 

I have no access to Draft but I haven't seen anything for NYU on waitlists or rejects on Gradcafe. For CU, I've seen 1 CNF result but nothing for fiction or poetry. I don't think they've released fiction/poetry results yet bc given the large size of the cohort, there would be multiple postings. Not sure about New School waitlists but I think all acceptances have gone out.

Edited by Boomer not Ok
18 hours ago, koechophe said:

I would honestly love more of your insights on this. First off, which schools would you consider to be lesser-known fully funded programs?

Second, my list of schools I applied to is:

University of Utah, University of Houston, Florida State, Oklahoma State, University of Lincoln-Nebraska, University of Nevada Las Vegas, University of Southern Californa, Washington State University (Rhet/comp, not MFA). 

I'll admit that "lesser-known" is super subjective. But anything outside of Iowa, Michener, Brown, and the NYC mileiu is a good start. A decent measure is how often you're seeing fellow applicants here and on Draft (by this metric, I'd also consider UVA, for example, in the "super competitive" tier).

The list you have here seems strong to me. I've heard good things about many of those programs, and they're not what I would call "household names."

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with applying to the big names. I'm just encouraging people to be strategic. Plus it breaks my heart to see people getting discouraged about their writing because they didn't get into these programs with a .5% acceptance rate.

9 hours ago, SofiTheCatGuardian said:

Hey, all! I've read quite a lot of your posts. Keep hanging in there! I'm curious if anyone has heard from the following:

- University of Virginia (Charlottesville)*

- Boston University* - nothing yet

-John Hopkins* - I received an email to check portal 3/6 (rejection)

-University of Maryland

-Iowa Writer's Workshop - Acceptance calls have gone out; waitlists and rejections via snail mail

Rejected: Michener; Cornell; Vanderbilt; Michigan Helen Zell; Brown; GA State

Hi! Here's all I know:

- Boston University* - nothing yet

-John Hopkins* - I received an email to check portal 3/6 (rejection)

-Iowa Writer's Workshop - Acceptance calls have gone out; waitlists and rejections via snail mail

Hope this helps!

43 minutes ago, scully7584 said:

Has anyone heard anything from LSU, Florida, Alabama, or UVA? 

Thanks for the replies in advance

I was notified by AL about two weeks ago. Haven't heard from LSU of UF. Didn't apply to UVA. 

42 minutes ago, scully7584 said:

I got a waitlist email from Alabama (fiction) a few weeks ago. I think I saw an acceptance call on the results page around the same time. My portal was never updated, though, so I’m not sure when official rejections/acceptances will come out. I’m also waiting on UVA but don’t think they’ve contacted anyone yet. 

43 minutes ago, scully7584 said:

I didn't apply to these schools but I came real close to sending in an app to LSU. Really regretting not doing so now. Anyway, I've been keeping an eye out for their results in an effort to further torture myself. Noticed a fiction acceptance (via phone) posted yesterday. Best wishes to you - I hope you hear word soon!