Application review - MA in Political Science at UBC

Question

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to apply to the MA in Political Science at UBC for the September 2021 intake (I've got everything ready but the three recommendation letters but that shouldn't be a problem)

Here's my "stats":

GPA of the last two years (BA degree): 3.73/4.0 and 3.8/4.0. My final grade was 110 cum laude which in my country (Italy) is the highest you can get

TOEFL: 107/120

Extra curricular: sadly not much except for the fact I've spent a semester in China (my BA is in East Asian studies, so I want to conduct research into Asian politics at UBC as it's one of their strengths) and that I've done my internship abroad (Taiwan). Also my final dissertation centers around Asian politics

I also hold an HSK5 for Chinese and a N3 for Japanese so I have a certified intermediate level for both languages

I have no idea about my chances of being admitted tbh, so if anyone could help me understand what my chances are and/or give me some heads up I'd be extremely thankful!

Edited by Marco9

2 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, desertwoman said:

Based on your GPA, I think you have a good chance at a master's degree, though you didn't include your GRE scores. I wouldn't worry about the lack of  extracirricular activities, as they're not important for graduate school. If you were applying to a PhD program, you'd need more research experience, but you'll get that experience in your master's program. I can't comment on your TOEFL score because I'm not familiar with that test; the score looks decent to, but again, I'm don't know what the percentiles are.  Overall, I think you have a good change; good luck! 

Thanks! Unfortunately I didn't take the GRE 😕 do you think that will significantly weaken my application?

Anyway thank you for your opinion, at least I know my application is (somewhat) competitive!

7 minutes ago, desertwoman said:

@Marco9  It depends on the school's requirements. If the school you're applying to requires the GRE, then they won't even process your application without it. However, some master's programs make the GRE optional. So if you take it and score high, it will enhance your chances, but if you don't take it, I think it depends on the rest of your application. 

Hm I see. Political Science does not require the GRE for the MA, only for the PhD

However yeah it's optional, so I hope the rest of the application can be good enough

Thanks again!