Jump to content

Linguistics Applicants for Fall 2021


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, IvanC said:

Hi, Amelia! Me again! 
 

I had a blast yesterday. I was interviewed by 4 professors, they asked me only 4 questions, but we talked for 31 minutes. It was really amazing and I believe they liked the chat. 
 

UIUC is an awesome university. I just hope I get in! 
 

Good luck on your interview! I’m rooting for you! 

Hi Ivan!

That's awesome news! Looks like an offer is on your way!

I'm going to meet them in two days! Fingers crossed! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for answering my question, guys!  I have good news. My PI emailed me a couple of days ago and said my application is among those selected for the next step, the interview.  I’ll be inter

Hey guys! I've been reading the posts you've submitted. I didn't apply to any programs in Linguistics this year (last year broke my heart) but I wish you all the best. Please keep the thread upda

Much to my surprise, I got my first interview offer for January! I know it's not an admission, but I do feel a huge sense of relief knowing that my application wasn't an instant reject.  Thank yo

1 hour ago, AmeliaP said:

Hi Ivan!

That's awesome news! Looks like an offer is on your way!

I'm going to meet them in two days! Fingers crossed! 

 

I hope so!!!

🤞🏻🤞🏻for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all! Congrats on the acceptances so far everyone! 

I have an interview this week and as I'm preparing, I'm just curious what interview questions you all have been asked this year? Any suggestions for questions to ask, or better yet, what *not* to ask?

I've had two interviews with different schools so far and they couldn't have been more different... one was a very casual and informal conversation with three faculty members — honestly their questions felt like lobs so I left the interview feeling great!

The other interview was way more formal and the questions were super generic to the point that they caught me off-guard. I was expecting specific questions but it was very much like "What do you expect of this program" and "What are you reading" etc. I left feeling like I totally bombed, so I really want to do well on this next one!

Any advice or insight is much appreciated!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, paulacole said:

Hey all! Congrats on the acceptances so far everyone! 

I have an interview this week and as I'm preparing, I'm just curious what interview questions you all have been asked this year? Any suggestions for questions to ask, or better yet, what *not* to ask?

I've had two interviews with different schools so far and they couldn't have been more different... one was a very casual and informal conversation with three faculty members — honestly their questions felt like lobs so I left the interview feeling great!

The other interview was way more formal and the questions were super generic to the point that they caught me off-guard. I was expecting specific questions but it was very much like "What do you expect of this program" and "What are you reading" etc. I left feeling like I totally bombed, so I really want to do well on this next one!

Any advice or insight is much appreciated!

 

those types of interviews seem so stressful, I hate questions like that omg! I just did my best to ask what I was genuinely worried about, like training. the department I want to join at Stanford does a lot of outreach work, so I asked questions like "how does the training of new research students work" or like "when I can expect to start actively contributing the projects" stuff like that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnxiousBeaver said:

those types of interviews seem so stressful, I hate questions like that omg! I just did my best to ask what I was genuinely worried about, like training. the department I want to join at Stanford does a lot of outreach work, so I asked questions like "how does the training of new research students work" or like "when I can expect to start actively contributing the projects" stuff like that!

That's super helpful, thank you! 

Congrats on your acceptances so far too! Are you leaning toward any one program at this point? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 12:05 AM, AmeliaP said:

 

I'm going to meet them in two days! Fingers crossed! 

 

How did your interview go, Amelia? 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IvanC said:

How did your interview go, Amelia? 😃

Hi Ivan! I just finished the interview. I got raddled by something at work just before the interview, so I couldn't focus properly. Also, it's more formal than I expected, so I was caught off-guard several times. I even said something that is so irrelevant that the professor had to repeat her question. So, in short I bombed some questions, but got a lot of nodding on the others. Anyway, I'm not sure how they feel about me and I think they are discussing my performance as of now, but I forgot to ask for a timeline (yeah... that's how brain-fogged I was...) so I'll know when I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AmeliaP said:

Hi Ivan! I just finished the interview. I got raddled by something at work just before the interview, so I couldn't focus properly. Also, it's more formal than I expected, so I was caught off-guard several times. I even said something that is so irrelevant that the professor had to repeat her question. So, in short I bombed some questions, but got a lot of nodding on the others. Anyway, I'm not sure how they feel about me and I think they are discussing my performance as of now, but I forgot to ask for a timeline (yeah... that's how brain-fogged I was...) so I'll know when I know.

Hi Amelia, 

I’m so sorry to hear you couldn’t focus... unfortunately, these things happen sometimes 🙁

I wouldn’t be worried if I were you. If the interview was hard for you, it was probably hard for everyone. 
 

I don’t know if you’ve emailed them to thank for the interview, but if you haven’t, do it and ask for the timeline. I believe they’ll send their acceptances/rejections for now (maybe today or tomorrow) 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IvanC said:

Hi Amelia, 

I’m so sorry to hear you couldn’t focus... unfortunately, these things happen sometimes 🙁

I wouldn’t be worried if I were you. If the interview was hard for you, it was probably hard for everyone. 
 

I don’t know if you’ve emailed them to thank for the interview, but if you haven’t, do it and ask for the timeline. I believe they’ll send their acceptances/rejections for now (maybe today or tomorrow) 😬

Hi Ivan,

I emailed them each a thank you note and to my surprise, their responses are quite positive. The PhD committee will not meet until next week but I believe I'll hear from them "soon after their meeting." 

I think you will have the good news before I do, so all my best wishes to you!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AmeliaP said:

Hi Ivan,

I emailed them each a thank you note and to my surprise, their responses are quite positive. The PhD committee will not meet until next week but I believe I'll hear from them "soon after their meeting." 

I think you will have the good news before I do, so all my best wishes to you!

 

I’m going to send you a DM... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was accepted to the French Linguistics program at Indiana-Bloomington! Still waiting on the decision regarding funding. Keeping my fingers crossed because if I'm fully funded this is my dream school and I will absolutely be going there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, IvanC said:

Guys, I was accepted to Iowa State University. Fully funded! 
 

My first acceptance came from my top choice school. I’m so happy! 

 

 

10 hours ago, kso1634 said:

I was accepted to the French Linguistics program at Indiana-Bloomington! Still waiting on the decision regarding funding. Keeping my fingers crossed because if I'm fully funded this is my dream school and I will absolutely be going there.

this is so amazing! congrats you both!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AnxiousBeaver said:

 

 

this is so amazing! congrats you both!!

Thanks!!!!

I’ve just messaged my POI and he replied: 

“Please note that you are not accepted until you receive the official letter.”

I really don’t know what to think! I thought it was pretty official :( I even celebrated my acceptance yesterday. My kids wanted me to throw a party hahaha I cooked some pasta and my wife baked a cake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, IvanC said:

Thanks!!!!

I’ve just messaged my POI and he replied: 

“Please note that you are not accepted until you receive the official letter.”

I really don’t know what to think! I thought it was pretty official :( I even celebrated my acceptance yesterday. My kids wanted me to throw a party hahaha I cooked some pasta and my wife baked a cake. 

He replied to my last message: 

“I'm really hoping that you will get your letter soon. I am monitoring progress, and everything is looking good now.” 

I believe it’s a more positive message 😅😅😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IvanC said:

He replied to my last message: 

“I'm really hoping that you will get your letter soon. I am monitoring progress, and everything is looking good now.” 

I believe it’s a more positive message 😅😅😅

it is very normal to receive a letter from your POI before the official acceptance! He is technically right, but while his message was blunt and seemed scary you were definitely accepted already so your celebration was justified :)! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Ivan:
 

In our review of your application for admission to Iowa State University for graduate study and your supporting credentials, a thorough evaluation of your previous education was completed.  

 

Our review indicates that you do not have the prerequisite degree requirements for consideration for graduate study.  Iowa State University does not consider a three-year degree from  Universidade Anhembi Morumbi as comparable to a US bachelor’s degree. 

Thank you for your interest in Iowa State University. 

Sincerely,

 

 

 

XXXXXXXXXXX

Assistant Director of Admissions Operations

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IvanC said:

Dear Ivan:
 

In our review of your application for admission to Iowa State University for graduate study and your supporting credentials, a thorough evaluation of your previous education was completed.  

 

Our review indicates that you do not have the prerequisite degree requirements for consideration for graduate study.  Iowa State University does not consider a three-year degree from  Universidade Anhembi Morumbi as comparable to a US bachelor’s degree. 

Thank you for your interest in Iowa State University. 

Sincerely,

 

 

 

XXXXXXXXXXX

Assistant Director of Admissions Operations

Oh no!! I am so sorry! Did you email your POI? DIdn't he say that everything seems okay on his hand? Email them again, also see if you could have a better explanation of why your degree is considered a BS, have them point out the specific classes you need, etc.! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I had a long conversation with my POI. He did his best to help me, but the evaluators said they wouldn’t accept my degree. 
 

I emailed the evaluators to know why they didn’t consider my degree equivalent to a BA degree, but they haven’t replied yet. 
 

10 minutes ago someone from the English department  emailed me to say “goodbye” :( 

It’s sad! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnxiousBeaver said:

Oh no!! I am so sorry! Did you email your POI? DIdn't he say that everything seems okay on his hand? Email them again, also see if you could have a better explanation of why your degree is considered a BS, have them point out the specific classes you need, etc.! 

Mark, 

 
 Since it says on Iowa’s website that from India, Bangladesh, Canada,Nepal, and Pakistan are not accepted, but 3-year degrees from other countries are reviewed on an individual basis, I kindly ask you: what’s missing? What’s wrong with my degree? I’m pretty sure my university will do its best to help with this process. I’ve just reached out to my advisor in Brazil and he said there’s nothing wrong with my degree. Many of my classmates have been accepted to American and Canadian universities. 
 
Please, let me know if there’s something I can do to change that. 
 
Best, 
-Ivan 
 
This is what I asked the evaluator - but he seems to be a cold person. He doesn’t really care about my situation. 
 
PS. I don’t know why the first is highlighted 😂😂😂
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a newbee in this website. Congrats to those who got in. Ivan, been scrolling through your posts in these 3 pages, I sincerely hope you get in on your other choices. Or your petition is accepted by the committee at IOWA state U

Since there are many prospective linguists here and not many active topics in linguistics forum, I decided to ask my question here. hope it's not absurdly off-topic.

I'm bound to defend my M.A. thesis around september. I live in Iran and my M.A. will be in TEFL (almost equivalent to TESL). My B.A. was the same major. These days I'm browsing linguistic departments websites and gathering information to apply for 2022. My focus is more oriented towards L2 acquisition, CALL, TESOL, etc. 
What do you suppose are best choices in this area for PhD. ?
I've checked uMass Amherst, UCLA, Penn, UMD, and some other websites, TC columbia, NYU Steinhardt and...  even in the UK, Birkbeck and York... .

I found many university faculties are interested in phonetics, semantics, pragmatics, computational L and ..., but not many in L2 acquisition or related areas. 

Any tips for narrowing down choices, or finding relevant programs in PhD?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.