Jump to content

MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum


Recommended Posts

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

Well thats disheartening. But do you think that the opportunities at Otis arent as great as SVA or that you would rather be in debt just for SVA's opportunities?

That's a really great question that I've been asking myself this whole time. 
I've also applied to ArtCenter in Pasadena, and EKA in Estonia and am awaiting their decision. 
What I've seen with Otis is their student work is conceptually strong, and there seems to be a strong connection with industry studios in LA, they also have some international offerings which is great. 

However if you know anything about Otis let me know!!! 

I think personally for that matter of debt in attending SVA and the quality of life I may have paying off that debt is not worth it for a MFA in Design, it's my top pick and it hurts a-lot to say but I simply cannot afford that. As a $150k in debt plus interest over time may be a $200k and more.  :( just wish the school was more supportive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we just let everyone on this forum shoot their shot despite what school they are going to. Everyone here has a different story with a different background and different schools fit different peopl

Accepted to UMass Amherst (3 year program)!! They waved tuition and offered me a teaching assistantship with a stipend and health/dental insurance covered  

I would also just like to chime in-- I worked for a non profit artist residency and was on the jury and when we reviewed applicants WE LOOKED AT THEIR WORK FIRST. Their education hardly ever came into

Posted Images

1 minute ago, CMCM said:

That's a really great question that I've been asking myself this whole time. 
I've also applied to ArtCenter in Pasadena, and EKA in Estonia and am awaiting their decision. 
What I've seen with Otis is their student work is conceptually strong, and there seems to be a strong connection with industry studios in LA, they also have some international offerings which is great. 

However if you know anything about Otis let me know!!! 

I think personally for that matter of debt in attending SVA and the quality of life I may have paying off that debt is not worth it for a MFA in Design, it's my top pick and it hurts a-lot to say but I simply cannot afford that. As a $150k in debt plus interest over time may be a $200k and more.  :( just wish the school was more supportive. 

I totally feel you, especially about the last part. I really wish some departments at SVA were more supportive because with the industry connections the college has, its prime location at NYC and its very accomplished faculty, SVA can easily be a rival to bigger 'name colleges' like SAIC or UCLA if only it was better priced. I've seen on this forum that a lot of able artists who have applied to places like Yale/SAIC/Bard etc deter from applying to SVA only because of its cost- And somewhere even the college loses out on some truly great artists.

And as for Otis, well I have no idea honestly about any West coast colleges. I myself have only applied to the East coast since I wanted to stay close to my partner who starts school in Virginia this fall. That being said, if you have any information about the opportunities at Parsons, I'd be glad to know

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

I totally feel you, especially about the last part. I really wish some departments at SVA were more supportive because with the industry connections the college has, its prime location at NYC and its very accomplished faculty, SVA can easily be a rival to bigger 'name colleges' like SAIC or UCLA if only it was better priced. I've seen on this forum that a lot of able artists who have applied to places like Yale/SAIC/Bard etc deter from applying to SVA only because of its cost- And somewhere even the college loses out on some truly great artists.

And as for Otis, well I have no idea honestly about any West coast colleges. I myself have only applied to the East coast since I wanted to stay close to my partner who starts school in Virginia this fall. That being said, if you have any information about the opportunities at Parsons, I'd be glad to know

I have a close friend who is a top notch artist who graduated from Otis and I can say woohoo for that choice too! :)

Plus it doesn't hurt to go to a place where Art School Confidential was shot at (LOL or maybe not :p)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I have a close friend who is a top notch artist who graduated from Otis and I can say woohoo for that choice too! :)

Plus it doesn't hurt to go to a place where Art School Confidential was shot at (LOL or maybe not :p)

You got any sources from Parsons? :( 

I'm seriously losing hope seeing nobody on this forum ever talks about the college

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dramallama_07 said:

You got any sources from Parsons? :( 

I'm seriously losing hope seeing nobody on this forum ever talks about the college

I actually don't sadly enough. I think I knew of a printmaking professor from Parsons who gave a lecture here at the U but apart from that, I really don't have any info regarding it. Pratt on the other hand...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wambam said:

Anybody want to weigh in on RISD painting? Is it worth it? (If you had some funding, but not a ton)

 

Hey! I'm not sure any program is worth going into debt for. But RISD painting is an excellent program with awesome faculty who are all quite prominent and active (and mostly live in NY). I think Providence is such a cute college town. You could likely live downtown and walk to class/your studio. Lots of cool gay bars.  You have constituent access to Brown, if you want to do research. RISD has a cool little research center for biomorphic design with animal specimen called the Natural Lab, a good museum, and a nice art library. You can take lots of classes outside the department, which is nice if your work is interdisciplinary. RISD definitely has some of the nicest and largest maker spaces out there. The painting department has their final show in the city's exhibition center and another final show is organized in NYC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Hey! I'm not sure any program is worth going into debt for. But RISD painting is an excellent program with awesome faculty who are all quite prominent and active (and mostly live in NY). I think Providence is such a cute college town. You could likely live downtown and walk to class/your studio. Lots of cool gay bars.  You have constituent access to Brown, if you want to do research. RISD has a cool little research center for biomorphic design with animal specimen called the Natural Lab, a good museum, and a nice art library. You can take lots of classes outside the department, which is nice if your work is interdisciplinary. RISD definitely has some of the nicest and largest maker spaces out there. The painting department has their final show in the city's exhibition center and another final show is organized in NYC.

Thanks for your insights.  It does sound like a great experience if you can afford it!  Ha

 

have most people on here made decisions? Still waiting on schools? It’s gotten really quiet... Columbia????

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey any thoughts/comments would be super appreciated! I got accepted into MFA Photography program 2021 at SAIC and CalArts. Does anyone have any impressions on either school in general or the photo program/faulty/student body specifically? Anything is worth sharing. Just trying to cast a wide net of opinions.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, I just got accepted into my 2nd choice school from the waitlist. If I decide to decline and reapply next year because the timing is bad, will that hurt my chances of being re-admitted? Any thoughts on this? I’m debating just accepting it but I didn’t get to apply to my first choice (UCLA) this year which has left me slightly hesitant. Anyone in a similar situation? Maybe I should just be grateful and accept the offer? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last I heard from Tyler was an email a couple weeks ago (3/5) from the head of the department saying decisions should be out in "the next weeks". I wrote admissions earlier that week, got the same response about it being through the department. Maybe I'll check in about it again if I don't hear by Friday.

dotdotdot.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 4:08 PM, dramallama_07 said:

That's exactly the dilemma. And I was hoping somebody here would help me on it. My motivation to go to SVA initially was its faculty and the fact that it has a lot of reach and provides good networking opportunities for its students. But in contrast, Parsons is way cheaper and I probably won't even have to apply for loan whereas I would've gone into considerable debt for SVA.

So is the debt worth it for all the opportunities SVA provides? Or should I rather be debt-free?

 

Also, another's question- SVA originally offered me 8k but when I requested for more, they brought it up to 32k (for both years combined). Do you guys think I can negotiate more now that I have Parsons in hand with a much better scholarship? Or is that just rude to ask since I've already requested once before?

How do you guys go about negotiating with schools for scholarship? It's something I should do but I'm scared of seeming rude or ungrateful, which I know is silly. Have y'all used any form letters or articles that might be helpful? Do you mention other schools and the aid they offered as leverage or is that not appropriate? Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eiffel65 said:

How do you guys go about negotiating with schools for scholarship? It's something I should do but I'm scared of seeming rude or ungrateful, which I know is silly. Have y'all used any form letters or articles that might be helpful? Do you mention other schools and the aid they offered as leverage or is that not appropriate? Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

I was to told to absolutely mention aid from other schools as that makes your merit grow in their eyes. As long as you do not sound like a mob boss lol, but are respectful and realistic about the prospects, they will be understandable. Remember - they can not retract their offer once they sent you an acceptance letter. 
Unfortunately, I do not know much beyond it, but I will be writing such letter to Parsons the moment SVA lets me know the amount of $$ I get in scholarship (which I hope will happen soon)

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mfaer said:

Hey all, I just got accepted into my 2nd choice school from the waitlist. If I decide to decline and reapply next year because the timing is bad, will that hurt my chances of being re-admitted? Any thoughts on this? I’m debating just accepting it but I didn’t get to apply to my first choice (UCLA) this year which has left me slightly hesitant. Anyone in a similar situation? Maybe I should just be grateful and accept the offer? 

It might be worth taking the offer. UCLA is extremely competitive, doesn’t accept many students, and kind of a dice roll anyways. Depends really if you think you can handle waiting another year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killerdonuts said:

Tyler painting folks - any updates? I reached out to Tyler Grad admissions on Friday, but they said everything was through the department, so they couldn't provide any ETA on admissions decisions. 

Still crickets over here 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Question. 
 

SVA wants everyone either to accept or reject the offer by the 1st of April. I am still waiting on some schools and I need time until the 15th of April to decide. Do you think if I ask they can hold off one spot for me and wait for my decision on the 15th? 
 

did anyone have experience asking a certain school to wait? I feel like they will immediately understand that they are not much top priority school just by the nature or my request and will not allow me to hold off until the 15th...

 

dilemma. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Question. 
 

SVA wants everyone either to accept or reject the offer by the 1st of April. I am still waiting on some schools and I need time until the 15th of April to decide. Do you think if I ask they can hold off one spot for me and wait for my decision on the 15th? 
 

did anyone have experience asking a certain school to wait? I feel like they will immediately understand that they are not much top priority school just by the nature or my request and will not allow me to hold off until the 15th...

 

dilemma. 

Different school, but I asked IIT ID for more time to decide and they were super flexible with me-- moved the deadline from Mar 5 to Mar 30th. No harm in asking -- I emphasized how much I liked the school but wanted to make a fully educated decision by hearing from everywhere I applied to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Question. 
 

SVA wants everyone either to accept or reject the offer by the 1st of April. I am still waiting on some schools and I need time until the 15th of April to decide. Do you think if I ask they can hold off one spot for me and wait for my decision on the 15th? 
 

did anyone have experience asking a certain school to wait? I feel like they will immediately understand that they are not much top priority school just by the nature or my request and will not allow me to hold off until the 15th...

 

dilemma. 

I think that it's unlikely that you will be able to hold your position. After all, others are on a waiting list and they want to vye for your position. So it's a do or die type of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfaer said:

Hey all, I just got accepted into my 2nd choice school from the waitlist. If I decide to decline and reapply next year because the timing is bad, will that hurt my chances of being re-admitted? Any thoughts on this? I’m debating just accepting it but I didn’t get to apply to my first choice (UCLA) this year which has left me slightly hesitant. Anyone in a similar situation? Maybe I should just be grateful and accept the offer? 

Out of curiosity what was your second choice?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks I just wanted to share this sentiment from one of my former professors that has been a guiding light for me and I think a good way to think about final selections...

“...it's worth considering that the best schools are sometimes more likely to take someone who's applied once before (it shows both progression in the work and also a desire to go to that particular program), so consider carefully whether you really want to apply to "safety" schools- you only get one MFA, and it's often better to be patient and reapply than to go somewhere that you're not really excited about.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfaer said:

Bard MFA 

That's quite a wonderful program and dependent on whether you like the faculty. If you think Bard fits your concepts well then go for it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.