Jump to content

Fall 2021 Applications


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been such a difficult year to apply. For all applicants, we all deserve a round of applause for applying this year and sticking with that decision, congrats to all of those who were accepted! Sim

Hi all! Just checking back in after some time and wishing the best for everyone this week into next. I got my first official decision today, which was a rejection from Princeton. Not how I wanted to s

Since decisions have started rolling in, I wanted to wish everyone good luck! Admissions to anthro seems so random and there’s a lot of luck involved—I think that’s probably even more true this year w

14 minutes ago, superduperpetra said:

Are there any other people here that can claim more JHU interviews? I don't think JHU accepts anyone without an interview. However, it doesn't make sense that we were not included in the first round of rejections if we never made it to the interview round, seems like we should've been out after the first cut. Not sure what's going with JHU. It is the last school that I am waiting to hear back from and it is already very late in the process. 

I have emailed them today. I hope there will be some clarification from their end soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, superduperpetra said:

It's been such a difficult year to apply. For all applicants, we all deserve a round of applause for applying this year and sticking with that decision, congrats to all of those who were accepted! Similar to previous year's trends, anyone want to share their happy news? 

Truly such a difficult cycle and kudos to everyone for getting through it during the middle of a PANDEMIC! 

Still waiting on final funding but very happy to have to be considering an acceptance from University of Florida 🙂

Edited by paulacole
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 6:17 AM, superduperpetra said:

It's been such a difficult year to apply. For all applicants, we all deserve a round of applause for applying this year and sticking with that decision, congrats to all of those who were accepted! Similar to previous year's trends, anyone want to share their happy news? 

Agreed! Congrats to everyone who applied in not only such a difficult cycle but a difficult time to live through!!! It takes so much patience and determination to actually apply and wait out a cycle.

I’m happy to announce that I was accepted to Washington State university’s MA and PhD program with full funding, insurance, and a research assistantship :) It was my top choice and I’ve accepted the offer although I still have yet to hear back from the other school I applied to.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 12:33 PM, Sajjad Hasan said:

I have emailed them today. I hope there will be some clarification from their end soon. 

Did you / anyone hear back from JHU when you emailed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, anth-em said:

Did you / anyone hear back from JHU when you emailed?

I have mailed them on Friday, early morning. I haven't heard anything back from them as of now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, superduperpetra said:

any luck? I emailed them about a week ago, no response yet.

Still nothing. Feels like their silence indicates something :D . Since none of us received any reply and there is a person who made a post saying, he/she not only got an interview call but also got interviewed by a faculty member, may be the rest of us will get an email together to "check the portal"(my wild guess since we haven't received any reply yet). Also we can't expect all of the people who applied to JHU be present in this forum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 5:04 AM, anth-em said:

Any word from Johns Hopkins last week? I don’t see anything posted but previously an interviewee mentioned end of last week as the timeframe.

I was told I would receive an update over the weekend and assumed a rejection. I see on the results page that someone was waitlisted and someone was accepted. Probably have a rejection coming my way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, superduperpetra said:

I was told I would receive an update over the weekend and assumed a rejection. I see on the results page that someone was waitlisted and someone was accepted. Probably have a rejection coming my way.

same here. Expected a rejection and checked the portal. No update yet. No replies to the e-mail as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hello, just wanted to send a message to the CUNY waitlistee who may or may not be on here that has been asking about the admissions spot I am in -- I apologize for keeping you in limbo, as I too am on a waitlist for another school I am holding out hope for. I believe most of us are in this state and will have to wait it out to see what happens :( Hoping for the best outcome for all of us!

Link to post
Share on other sites

First time poster and first application cycle. Rejections from University of Chicago and Northwestern (brutal admissions process) and still waiting on UPenn. Beyond thankful to be claiming acceptances at UVA, Oklahoma, UMich and U South Carolina. Didn't think I would make it anywhere for a long while there. Focus is in linguistic Anthropology.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, IdRatherBeReadingMorrison said:

First time poster and first application cycle. Rejections from University of Chicago and Northwestern (brutal admissions process) and still waiting on UPenn. Beyond thankful to be claiming acceptances at UVA, Oklahoma, UMich and U South Carolina. Didn't think I would make it anywhere for a long while there. Focus is in linguistic Anthropology.

Do you have an idea which program you would attend given your acceptances? I am also in my first application cycle as well, my waitlist (and first choice) is actually for Michigan (also with focus in ling anth!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have an idea which program you would attend given your acceptances? I am also in my first application cycle as well, my waitlist (and first choice) is actually for Michigan (also with focus in ling anth!)

----

Unfortunately I'm leaning heavily towards UMich as it was my and fiance's first choice. To offer some encouragement I was also on waitlist and was told last week when I was accepted that there's still room for movement and I think only a few of the admitted students have officially accepted. 

Can I ask what your interests are? I hoping you get good news soon!

Edited by IdRatherBeReadingMorrison
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MochaMoch said:

Do you have an idea which program you would attend given your acceptances? I am also in my first application cycle as well, my waitlist (and first choice) is actually for Michigan (also with focus in ling anth!)

Also, I don't know if it's something you've already done but I'd definitely still reach out to faculty as they seem super open to keeping an open line of communication with waitlisted and accepted students. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IdRatherBeReadingMorrison said:

Unfortunately I'm leaning heavily towards UMich as it was my and fiance's first choice. To offer some encouragement I was also on waitlist and was told last week when I was accepted that there's still room for movement and I think only a few of the admitted students have officially accepted. 

Can I ask what your interests are? I hoping you get good news soon!

Ah that is totally fair! And that is encouraging, I am holding out hope as its a program with faculty who specialize in my theoretical area and Michigan has an institution that specializes in what I want to do. I'm interested in the semiotic productions of identity, personhood, and interaction and want to analyze it via the lens of disability (as you probably know, the Michigan faculty have a great foundation in semiotic theory, and the UMich Institute for Disability Studies offers cross-certificate appointments and courses that would really benefit my studies!) I should also clarify that I was a sc waitlist admit and not a ling admit, but many of the faculty I cited in my sop are from the ling branch.

I talked to a faculty just recently and attended a lecture, and plan on doing so for a few more professors who I've cited interest with -- still hoping for the best but appreciate the opportunity to talk to them about ideas and things within the field!

 

Edited by MochaMoch
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 6:17 AM, superduperpetra said:

It's been such a difficult year to apply. For all applicants, we all deserve a round of applause for applying this year and sticking with that decision, congrats to all of those who were accepted! Similar to previous year's trends, anyone want to share their happy news? 

So difficult! I was rejected by 8 of the 9 PhD programs I applied to, and never heard back from 2 of the 3 MA programs I applied to. Rejections hurt a lot, but they aren't a reflection of our worth, whatsoever. This year was exceptionally tough to get into PhD programs, and even in a "normal" year it's pretty difficult to get into grad school. I sincerely wish the best for everyone who applied this cycle, regardless of the outcome. 

As far as good news, I'm excited to say that I accepted my offer to attend CUNY's Cultural Anthropology PhD program with full funding and a stipend, health insurance, and a fellowship! CUNY was my top choice, so I'm absolutely ecstatic. Congratulations to those who received offers!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's going on with McGill? There's been no movement at all on my application since I submitted...? Has anyone else heard anything? it's so late, and especially as they usually interview!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2021 at 4:07 PM, anth8 said:

Does anyone know what's going on with McGill? There's been no movement at all on my application since I submitted...? Has anyone else heard anything? it's so late, and especially as they usually interview!

I haven't heard anything back either, but I checked on the admissions section of their website and they say "the department admissions committee announces its selections by end of April". So it may still be a little while longer until we hear anything unfortunately...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anthrowantro said:

Has anyone heard back on the waitlist situation? People with multiple offers are most humbly requested to please take their calls early. 

I am waitlisted at UConn and there has been no movement yet. I am in the dark on what my chances are of getting in. I am unfamiliar with the application cycle in anthropology. Is it safe to say that all top programs have released their offers already? If so, should we assume that there will be a lot of movement the next week or two?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Larry David said:

I am waitlisted at UConn and there has been no movement yet. I am in the dark on what my chances are of getting in. I am unfamiliar with the application cycle in anthropology. Is it safe to say that all top programs have released their offers already? If so, should we assume that there will be a lot of movement the next week or two?

Yeah, similar situation at Stanford and UChicago. Haven’t heard back from anyone yet. It seems people selected would have had multiple equally valuable offers, otherwise we would have heard at least a no from somewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.