MSW.K

Hello All!

I am starting the application process for MSW programs for Fall 2021. I am applying to a wide range of schools in CA, Boston, NY, and more. 

I created this post to discuss the application process, decision, stats and any insight anyone can share. Has anyone else stated the MSW app process? 

Kelly :) 

Hi @MSWKelly ! I spent the summer attending information sessions and have narrowed my selection to 3-4 schools.  Most have a priority deadline of February, except one which is in December. Since I am applying as an advanced standing student I am aiming to have all of my applications in by  December/ early January. 

How many schools do you plan on applying to? I tried to stay local to where I am, especially living in a COVID-19 world. 

@LML2021 hey! That's great. I am trying to attend more virtual webinars this month. So I have a list of about 15 right now that I am narrowing down. (lol)

I have a lot of California schools on my list and a few in Boston and New York.  I think I definitely want to apply to a solid 10 schools. I am starting to work on apps and getting LOR's this month and want to hopfully be done in Novemeber/December. 

I am from California and would be happy with EC or CA. I think it would be nice to live on the EC for a change. 

Hi! I have narrowed my list down to three schools after researching and contemplating since June. UMD is my top choice because of the convenience to where I currently live and the opportunities for field placement in the area.

I haven't been able to attend any info sessions yet but plan to do so throughout September. Have the info sessions been useful for you? What kind of questions do you usually ask? @MSWKelly @LML2021

The regular deadline for UMD isn't until March 15, but their app opens on September 1. I'm planning to ask for letters of recommendation in September and apply by late Oct/early Nov.

What does a typical timeline looks like for requesting letters of rec. look like?

Hey @monavocado ! I have only attended a few with UCLA so far. They are pretty interesting, especially when you are able to see alumni panels. People have asked application and field work questions during the webinars. I am going to try and attend more soon. I think @LML2021 has been to more. 

For my letters of REC, I am going to make sure I have asked my three recommenders by Sept. 5, just to give them enough time to write. 

I am hoping to have all of my apps done by mid November, so I have enough time to make sure everything is in and confirmed by the schools.  On some other threads, people have mentioned that the school will contact you if your app is missing a document or something.  

@MSWKelly @monavocado so I live in NYC and especially living in an uncertain COVID-19 world I wanted to stay local, I also felt that fieldwork opportunities in NYC would be excellent.  The furthest school I am contemplating is UPenn. 

Since I would be applying for advanced standing, I start my MSW with the specialization year and I’ve been adamant about a macro concentration with a specialization in policy. That has dramatically limited school options, Almost immediately. There aren’t many schools that have a macro concentration.. most are clinical focused and then specialized in children & families,, mental health, forensic etc.

The information sessions have been great because you learn about the different programs, specific areas of specialization .. their financial aid options, the cost etc. Acceptance rate. I’ve also been interested in their theoretical perspective, class size, how they schedule their classes, fieldwork opportunities and how diverse their staff and student body are. This is all important for me since I’m only going to be there for one year and things need to get rolling fast in terms of placement. Another bonus I learned about was alumni boards and meetings for job postings. Especially since I want to take the macro route, that’s An excellent opportunity for networking jobs. And it ended up being important after I learned about it. 

I planned on starting all of my applications early September and asking For my letters of recommendation early October. The earliest priority deadline of the schools I planned on applying to has been December 1st. But,  I need to wait for mid-year fieldwork review which won’t happen until late December/ early January anyway. I’m guessing the school understands that. And like @MSWKelly mentioned other People have mentioned contacting you if something is missing.  All together I wanna be done applying by January... and then make the best decision. 

i have a first choice school but I’m open to see what happens with the other ones. 
I would advise reading through some other posts, I’ve learned about asking for a Financial aid reconsideration and getting an extension if they want you to put down $$ to reserve your seat but you’re waiting for acceptance from other schools before you make a decision.  It’s been super informative! 

edit: I also have asked about the breakdown of their program/ classes. I didn’t want a research focused program since I’ve already done enough research. and learning if they do a capstone project or not. 

Edited by LML2021

4 hours ago, LML2021 said:

@Minhessica during the information session they said it would be available in August and Priority deadline was in December. 

Thank you for the information! I checked signed into the application portal but nothing popped up. I’ll check again. 

Curious if anyone has any input regarding letters of recommendation. Before COVID I had one full semester of in-person classes after transferring to a university from community college. I'll graduate in December this year. This means most of my BSW classes have been online and I haven't developed a real relationship with any of my professors. In fact, I wonder how many would actually know who I am.

There is one professor whose class I really enjoyed last fall (in-person) and I thought I'd ask him. I'm also hoping my field instructor (starting field on Wednesday) will be open to sending a letter. However, with apps opening up this month and me wanting to submit them asap I wonder how much a field instructor could say if they've only known me a month. I do have the option of asking my employer to write one, however, I work in hospitality so I don't know if this would be acceptable. I may be overthinking everything but I'm at a loss as to who to ask . Also, how much to letters of recommendation weigh in the application process?

@meld42 every information session I attended said that your essay and your letters of recommendation make the most effective case for how you are as a person/social worker. If you will have your BSW, you are probably applying as an advanced standing student. Most schools require your field evaluation.  

Every school has said that they look at a student holistically, especially with advanced standing having a letter of recommendation from an LMSW/LCSW , a professor and or an employer will make the most difference.

GOOD LUCK! 

hi everyone! i'm trying to apply to all california schools for my msw and i'm looking at UCLA, SF State, SJ State, and CSU Fullerton/Long Beach/LA. i'm kind of worried to apply for some, as some of the schools require a passing grade in an elementary stats course, and i'm not sure if a class i took during undergrad would count or not. it's a time sensitive manner (ie trying to enroll into a stats course in a local cc, having to take a prerequisite class for the stats course itself) so lowkey stressed but! trying to be chill about it and if anything, i'll hopefully apply for Fall of 2022 instead and add Berkeley to my list. 

another thing i'm ~worried~ about is my lack of social work-like experience due to personal circumstances, but i've recently taken a position to volunteer for a local youth center and hope to weave that in somehow :') 

would love to connect with anyone else, especially those looking into california state schools! 

How many schools is too many to apply to do you think? I am looking at UChicago, UDenver, Loyola Chicago, UI Chicago, Portland State, UC Berkeley, and UM Missoula. Will probably trim a couple off soon but I would love to hear what other people are doing as well.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:08 AM, doievenknow said:

hi everyone! i'm trying to apply to all california schools for my msw and i'm looking at UCLA, SF State, SJ State, and CSU Fullerton/Long Beach/LA. i'm kind of worried to apply for some, as some of the schools require a passing grade in an elementary stats course, and i'm not sure if a class i took during undergrad would count or not. it's a time sensitive manner (ie trying to enroll into a stats course in a local cc, having to take a prerequisite class for the stats course itself) so lowkey stressed but! trying to be chill about it and if anything, i'll hopefully apply for Fall of 2022 instead and add Berkeley to my list. 

another thing i'm ~worried~ about is my lack of social work-like experience due to personal circumstances, but i've recently taken a position to volunteer for a local youth center and hope to weave that in somehow :') 

would love to connect with anyone else, especially those looking into california state schools! 

Hi there! I am also applying to a lot of the same schools in CA. For the Stats Req, I would reach out the schools and see if that class would count. I would try and obtain the syllabus from that class and send it to at least a few of the schools to make sure it counts :)

It's great that you have that position- I would definitely add that and add literally any other from of service you've done (even from the end of High School Maybe?). It's tricky becuase they want to see a lot of involvement. 

On 9/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, maxwellk said:

How many schools is too many to apply to do you think? I am looking at UChicago, UDenver, Loyola Chicago, UI Chicago, Portland State, UC Berkeley, and UM Missoula. Will probably trim a couple off soon but I would love to hear what other people are doing as well.

Hey! I say apply to as many as you can but more importantly apply to a good medium of choices and have some "safety" choices for back up. I am definitely applying to around 10 schools which idk maybe that is a lot! haha

@MSWKelly @maxwellk I’m applying to about 3-4 schools. Obviously a reach school, a safe school and then one or two schools that I love the programs. Living in the world we are currently living in, I wanted to stay local and in person education would be my preference if it’s plausible. I’m also applying as advanced standing so I needed to find a grad school program that had the speciality I want to focus in.   
but applying to more schools gives you a chance to find the program you get most $$ from and even use those offers to ask for reconsideration of aid from a program you prefer more! 
Good Luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 3:10 AM, esthermarbx said:

Hey guys, I applied for admission to 3 grad schools for MSW. Have you submitted any applications? do you have a first choice? 

hey! wow- you completed your apps already?! I am in the works with my statements rn. I hope to have everything in and completed by early November. I am leaning more towards east coast as I am from Nor cal and stayed close for undergrad. What about you?

Hey lol I’m from the UK and worked on my application through the summer so when the applications opened literally was just good to submit. I applied to Penn, NYU and Columbia but also gonna apply to Michigan when it opens and then I’m done lol. Columbia is my first choice and Michigan is my second I think. I hope I get in tho ? apparently you still have to wait until like jan/Feb to hear back so it’s gonna be alottttt of waiting lol 

On 9/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, doievenknow said:

Hello,

I'm considering applying this year to UCLA and SDSU. I emailed SJSU regarding social work related experience and they said the application process is competitive and average applicants have 3000 hours. Just thought I'd pass that along. 

I'm hoping to do a part-time program but am not interested in evening, summer, or weekend classes. That's taken some of the cal state schools off my list. And I like Berkeley but don't have enough experience to apply. Also, I'm trying to be realistic with how many personal statements I can write (considering the variance in prompts and length). 

**CSULB does provide a list of stats courses that can be used to fulfill that requirement. It's organized by school names so you should be able to see if your current class will meet that criteria.

ElementaryStatisticsF20Accessible.pdf

Edited by Diamond

On 9/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, maxwellk said:

I have a list of about 10 schools that I like. But I will be applying to 3 for sure, maybe 1 or 2 more. I know someone talked about safety and reach schools but I feel like it's all a gamble.

6 hours ago, Diamond said:

Hello,

I'm considering applying this year to UCLA and SDSU. I emailed SJSU regarding social work related experience and they said the application process is competitive and average applicants have 3000 hours. Just thought I'd pass that along. 

I'm hoping to do a part-time program but am not interested in evening, summer, or weekend classes. That's taken some of the cal state schools off my list. And I like Berkeley but don't have enough experience to apply. Also, I'm trying to be realistic with how many personal statements I can write (considering the variance in prompts and length). 

**CSULB does provide a list of stats courses that can be used to fulfill that requirement. It's organized by school names so you should be able to see if your current class will meet that criteria.

ElementaryStatisticsF20Accessible.pdfUnavailable

thanks so much! yea, now i'm considering whether or not i should hold off on applying. i got the stats thing figured out, but realized i need another prereq for ucla (in which i'm planning to enroll at a local cc and get it done with by Winter 2021/Spring 2021). i think i'll just apply though, to get a feel for applying and if i don't get in, apply for both ucla (again) and berkeley the next round.