Best University for Theological Studies

jasreid3

Hello. I am currently searching for universities that offer a PhD in Theological Studies. I first will need to enter a Master's program  as my academic background is not of the field. I currently have a MBA. My ultimate goal is to become a professor. I am needing assistance in my search due to my need for an (mostly if not completely) unbiased school. Those I have come across so far are seemingly focused on Christian ministry and mostly from a traditional/conservative viewpoint. It is a bit frustrating because I do not want to miss out on a solid education because the school is pushing a biased perspective/curriculum; this includes schools that claim to be progressive but appear to be pushing liberalism a bit too much. I do not want a school with an agenda to sway my beliefs or keep me from accepting others. 

I am strongly considering Harvard Divinity, Yale, and Duke University (due to $); however, I feel I may experience this frustration still..

My last choice is Notre Dame but I want to get the hell out of Indiana/midwest.

Edited by jasreid3

You need to focus on the masters at this point. The rest will come. You will learn, I think, that there is no "unbiased" education in the humanities. As for finding a doctoral program that isn't liberal. They exist, but they are not well regarded outside of theological circles. If you want to be a professor at a (semi-)conservative Christian school, those doctoral programs would set you up well enough. I don't know the job market in that sector at all, but my guess is it's about as bad as the rest of the humanities (maybe slightly better, given the large numbers of seminary students in the USA). In short, the kinds of jobs you want may well not exist when you're finishing up--assuming you even get into a funded doctoral program. 

I'll second @sacklunch here in that your focus needs to be on the M* degree. The PhD application is going to be 2-3 years away, at best.

My second bit of advice, if you want to be in a PhD program and make that as easy as possible - attend a school with a PhD program. On that end, you're on the right track.

I'd look at Harvard, Yale, Duke, Chicago, and Princeton. Backups to that, Vanderbilt and Emory - not sure about anywhere else. 

As already noted, you need a backup plan. Theology professor jobs in mainstream colleges/universities are rare, and I do mean exceptionally rare. Even schools like Yale, Harvard, Princeton (PTS), etc are struggling to place PhD graduates in theology. There is an increasing belief, rightfully so I think, that theology has limited/no place in Religious Studies departments. As such, most are being hired by divinity schools and seminaries, where an increasing number of faculty are working into their 70s and 80s, reducing jobs and schools are cutting those positions.

• 2 months later...

It will be nearly impossible to find a school that is unbiased. They typically lean conservative or liberal institutionally. You may find professors that are more politically moderate/center, so that could be a way to find a school you are looking for -- find professors you might be interested in learning from and attend those schools. If you are ultimately interested in a PhD, it would be good to research those programs a bit and apply to Master's programs in the schools you might be interested in attending for the PhD. Students who do PhDs sometimes find it easier to get into programs in the same school they did their Master's, because the professors know them already and they have been able to build relationships with those professors over the years. If you are interested in a career as a professor, it would be good to choose one of the Ivy schools for your Master's, or at least one of the top-tier theological schools. Take a look at the profiles of professors who work at schools you might be interested in working for one day -- where did they get their Master's and PhDs? You'll notice that most have their degrees from top-tier theological schools. It is not easy to find a job as a theology professor. I'm in the final year of my PhD program in theological studies and very few of my colleagues have found professorial jobs in the academy, and I myself have chosen another career route (happy to elaborate if you send me a DM). It's not impossible, but it's not easy either. You'll want to also look at programs along the way that might help you in professional development and career search -- if you pursue this route I definitely recommend getting involved in organizations such as the Forum for Theological Exploration. Also, find programs that fund your PhD -- it is not worth it to get the PhD if you have to pay for it. Happy to talk more if you have any other specific questions, feel free to message.