Should I submit my GRE scores? 170V / 167Q / 4.5W, CS PhD

merritt

I'm applying to top CS PhD programs (CMU, UW, Stanford, Berkeley, etc), for which the GRE is optional this year due to COVID. From what I can tell, most of these programs have an average score of 168/169 Q. Do you think submitting my scores would help or hurt my application?

• 4 weeks later...

UMass Amherst has a student-run PhD Applicant Support Program. This program provides 1-on-1 support for underrepresented applicants, as well as a webinar which is open to all. The webinar will be held on Monday, November 23rd at 11am EST (details at the above link).

Note that a number of schools are running similar programs this year, including MIT, Stanford, CMU, Brown, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, UW, and UT Austin. Though I think UMass Amherst is the only one additionally holding a webinar that is open to all applicants. Also note that the deadline for many of the programs has already ended, but you can still apply for support from UMass Amherst students until Dec 4th.

Good luck with your applications this year!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I have 2 years of experience in cloud computing and HPC. I would recommend reading their documents online and checking out examples and containerized software on docker hub. Now, it is best to distinguish between a VM and a container to learn what a container is... VM requires a hypervisor to emulate, you can think it as more hardware intensive with the benefit of security. A Container operates on top of the OS and thus, eliminating the hypervisor layer and it is essentially software oriented. One great benefit is that software rules the hardware. Container can easily be replicate, move, redeploy, test, etc. Of course, it is not as secure as a VM. You can check out Kata-container for better security (container encapsulated in vm). There are a lot of benefits of using containers over VM and since cloud computing is a growing field, I am unable to give you a good source that covers all topics.

Any idea on how does the school determine if one is underrepresented? Since I am an immigrant with parents making on the lower end of income and I was recently naturalized, would I be underrepresented? I am only asking for others to know if they qualify in the future.