2020-2021 Application Thread

17 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Speaking of the GRE, does anyone have any resources they recommend for studying? I already have a practice test book that I work on, but I'm wondering if there's more (like online classes). I'm pretty much out of the running everywhere pending Yale, so now I'm turning to a 2nd master's as well!

I am in a pretty similar boat and am debating if I should try to retake it as well. Not sure where you're looking to improve, but here are some things that helped me.

The that helped me by far the most was an online Princeton Review class (like all things standardized test related, it was a bit pricey).The teacher was wonderful, and having the class helped me hold myself accountable to actually studying. Beyond the class content itself (which varied in how helpful I found it) the class provided me with a lot of practice drills, tests etc. The class definitely helped me a lot, I ended up getting a 164V, 160Q and 6 AW, which going into this cycle I had thought was good enough but apparently not!

Beyond that, I did a TON of flashcards for verbal. I got both of the sets of 500 high frequency cards from Manhattan Test Prep (they were maybe like $20 on Amazon or something) and those were a big help for me on the verbal section. But most people on here are likely to already know at least 2/3 of the words in their "starter" set, so might not be as worth the investment. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JUST GOT A FULLY FUNDED OFFER FROM CONCORDIA!!!!!

I just got a call from the program director for Government & Social Policy at Harvard letting me know I've been accepted! Really can't believe it, I had completely given up hope for this cycl

I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM USC WITH FELLOWSHIP AAAAH (still have to put it in the survey) 

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

Speaking of the GRE, does anyone have any resources they recommend for studying? I already have a practice test book that I work on, but I'm wondering if there's more (like online classes). I'm pretty much out of the running everywhere pending Yale, so now I'm turning to a 2nd master's as well!

I think nothing helped me personally as much as simply doing a lot of practice questions. There are tons of textbooks online and I just purchased most of them and did the questions. 

59 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

N=1 but I cannot recommend Magoosh enough. I was plateauing around the mid-160s (quant) and after a couple months of Magoosh videos and exercises I nailed a perfect score! The exercises are actually a bit more difficult than the real thing, which I think is good since it gave me a cushion (particularly in terms of time management).

Edited by smug-face
explained better
4 minutes ago, smug-face said:

N=1 but I cannot recommend Magoosh enough. I was plateauing around the mid-160s (quant) and after a couple months of Magoosh videos and exercises I nailed a perfect score! The exercises are actually a bit more difficult than the real thing, which I think is good since it gave me a cushion (particularly in terms of time management).

Did you mostly just use it for Quant? I just looked at the prices and it seems way more affordable than any other option I've seen.

1 hour ago, icemanyeo said:

+ gregmat and vince kotchian-i liked them and think I will get back to them to refresh my gre powers in case this cycle is not nice to me

23 minutes ago, Uberfloweret said:

+ gregmat and vince kotchian-i liked them and think I will get back to them to refresh my gre powers in case this cycle is not nice to me

Gregmat is truly helpful and the videos are all easily accessible on youtube. Good luck

29 minutes ago, btermite said:

Did you mostly just use it for Quant? I just looked at the prices and it seems way more affordable than any other option I've seen.

Yeah, my verbal was already good and I applied to do formal theory so I just did the quant! I heard good things about verbal, too.

I used Manhattan Prep's self-guided online platform and I found it extremely helpful. I really liked the interface and the way it progresses through the material. I only used it for quant though, since I was already scoring well on the verbal. So, I can't speak to the verbal training it provides. The Manhattan practice tests are also much much harder than the actual GRE, which as @smug-face said, is actually helpful. 

My main issue going in was variance--I would get 168 on one practice test and a 159 on another. Manhattan helped me stabilize that and bring up my average so that I was scoring between 166 and 169, depending on how hard the specific test was. And I ended up with a 167. No perfect score, but certainly respectable for someone whose quant background is entirely self-taught. 

30 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Good morning everyone.  :) 

It's Friday... I think some people will receive acceptances today.  

This positivity is largely welcome both today and throughout the remaining weeks haha 

Northwestern Update -- I just called the department and whoever answered says that they're working as fast as they can to notify applicants. I asked if all the acceptances have gone out and he said he did not know and that they work on each file one at time. In other words, they don't send all acceptances and waitlists and then all the rejections. They send them all mixed throughout. No clue when they'll be done. :(

8 minutes ago, loiewo said:

Northwestern Update -- I just called the department and whoever answered says that they're working as fast as they can to notify applicants. I asked if all the acceptances have gone out and he said he did not know and that they work on each file one at time. In other words, they don't send all acceptances and waitlists and then all the rejections. They send them all mixed throughout. No clue when they'll be done. :(

is that true though or just them saying that? (not doubting you but rather wondering if others wanna weigh in with their opinions)

4 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

is that true though or just them saying that? (not doubting you but rather wondering if others wanna weigh in with their opinions)

I would guess that if everything left for them to do was send rejections, their work would be a lot quicker.

I may be biased though as I'm holding out hope for an A...

15 minutes ago, loiewo said:

Interesting.  In previous years Northwestern always sent out acceptances first.  Maybe they have a new procedure this year.  

58 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Can anyone claim the Cornell waitlist?

Longtime lurker here (sorry, I know that sort of decreases any incentive to trust this, I'm just not a big internet poster!). I can claim a Cornell waitlist in CP. It didn't look like a mail merge, so more could certainly be coming but I honestly don't know. It's a dream program for me, so I'm really hoping it works out! 

4 minutes ago, Sharpweaselz said:

I would guess that if everything left for them to do was send rejections, their work would be a lot quicker.

I may be biased though as I'm holding out hope for an A...

I’m hopeful we get good news but I just can’t justify betting on it at this point. Feels like they gave us a cop out answer

3 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Interesting.  In previous years Northwestern always sent out acceptances first.  Maybe they have a new procedure this year.  

it's also possible that the person i talked to doesn't actually know the procedure and only admission committee does

13 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

i wonder the same thing! don't know if he was just sort of guessing but he did say that they do it that way to keep it fair for everyone... whatever that means?

Just now, StarkDark1 said:

I am sorry guys but no. I have been lurking here since early Jan and NW has been saying the same thing since the first acceptance came out. @nivy25 and @polnerd have called a few time and its is the same story. You really think a standardized acceptance/rejection letter (so far the acceptance and rejections have been a standardized letter in the portal) will take them these long? Nope. Something else is going on - and it doesn't send a good message for that department.

4 minutes ago, polisci19 said:

Longtime lurker here (sorry, I know that sort of decreases any incentive to trust this, I'm just not a big internet poster!). I can claim a Cornell waitlist in CP. It didn't look like a mail merge, so more could certainly be coming but I honestly don't know. It's a dream program for me, so I'm really hoping it works out! 

Congrats! When did you receive the waitlist notification? Was it from the DGS or the coordinator? Thanks

4 minutes ago, Prof2B said:

I am sorry guys but no. I have been lurking here since early Jan and NW has been saying the same thing since the first acceptance came out. @nivy25 and @polnerd have called a few time and its is the same story. You really think a standardized acceptance/rejection letter (so far the acceptance and rejections have been a standardized letter in the portal) will take them these long? Nope. Something else is going on - and it doesn't send a good message for that department.

So at this point do you think there are only rejections remaining?