Jump to content

Biomedical Science PhD Applicants (Fall 2021)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Needanswers1 said:

I was thinking sinai 

Regardless of how true this is, I think a lot of the people applying will fit at least one of these criteria so the faculty review probably weeds out a lot of people. Lots of grad school have an "average qualification" listed and still wont give you an interview even if you exceed them:/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got accepted to NYU Vilcek!!!! It was the only school that gave me an interview and literally all other schools rejected me but I don't care anymore because I am getting my PhD!!!!

Does anyone know how competitive interviews will be this year? I've received 10 invites so far, but decided to decline three offers because I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other program

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind if I rant a bit. I guess this entire cycle has just been really hard. I received my waitlist from BU (where I currently work, got my undergrad and masters degree from AN

7 hours ago, hot leaf juice said:

From my understanding they only have one interview weekend (first week of Jan) & some acceptances went out on Monday! It's a really small program though (~6), so I'm not sure if all acceptances were extended or if they are going to wait to hear back from applicants before extending all offers? 

yeah, i saw that some people posted acceptances -- did you interview there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 9:14 PM, ood63 said:

just anxious.....anyone heard from the following:

EMORY - GDBBS - Microbiology & Molecular Genetics 

USC Pibbs

UC Irvine - Cell and Molecular Sciences

Is no news good news or accept reality of rejection

I applied to the same track at Emory and havent heard anything!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HJB_4 said:

I applied to the same track at Emory and havent heard anything!

I applied to Emory Microbiology & Molecular Genetics as well and was waitlisted at the beginning of January. I was told I'd hear back about my acceptance status in March. 

I'm new to GradCafe so please forgive any posting errors!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Canaduh said:

I applied to Emory Microbiology & Molecular Genetics as well and was waitlisted at the beginning of January. I was told I'd hear back about my acceptance status in March. 

I'm new to GradCafe so please forgive any posting errors!

I understand! are you an international student? Im not sure if i should take the silence ive heard as a rejection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Canaduh said:

Yes, I'm international with a US undergrad. 

I see, i am international with an undergrad from the UK so maybe thats why i havent heard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, sirtuingirl said:

Is this possibly the Sinai process?

I also thought Sinai at first but I meet criteria #2 and I got rejected.

Also, they made it really clear during an info session that they don't even want to see GRE scores, so I doubt that they would consider them while offering interviews. They also said that they take opportunity into account when looking at achievements, so I highly doubt that they would include a minimum number of publications in their criteria for offering interviews.

Edited by biomedgal
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 4:14 PM, ood63 said:

just anxious.....anyone heard from the following:

EMORY - GDBBS - Microbiology & Molecular Genetics 

USC Pibbs

UC Irvine - Cell and Molecular Sciences

Is no news good news or accept reality of rejection

Got a generic rejection from Emory (Molecular Pharmacology)  last week. No news is good

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a rejection from the Rutgers Molecular Biosciences (Microbiology and Molecular Genetics track) program 2 days ago, and a few hours later, I received an email inviting me to extend my application to their Integrative and Computational Biology Program at Rutgers Camden. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have an idea about what the program is like? The website says there's an 8% acceptance rate, so I'm quite skeptical, especially since I wouldn't consider myself a stellar applicant. I'm just tired at this point, and I don't want to be led along by false hope. Any advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anybody can give insight or share their experiences! What is the usual time grad school can take to send out acceptance/rejection letter to their first slot of interviewees? I am confused at this point.

Edited by FTJ27
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FTJ27 said:

If anybody can give insight or share their experiences! What is the usual time grad school can take to send out acceptance/rejection letter to their first slot of interviewees? I am confused at this point.

This varies by program, but I think that most adcoms will meet in the week following the interview. There would be three options for decisions about the applicants they interviewed - accept, reject, or wait to make a decision until they have done more interviews.

In my experience, I had one interview on a Thursday and received an admissions offer the following Wednesday, and with another interview on a Thursday/Friday I received the offer the following Friday. Also, during each of these interviews someone in the program admin said something along the lines of “we expect to make decisions by the end of next week”

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FTJ27 said:

If anybody can give insight or share their experiences! What is the usual time grad school can take to send out acceptance/rejection letter to their first slot of interviewees? I am confused at this point.

I got a call from the program director at UCLA about a week after I interviewed. That being said, she mentioned for the vast majority of applicants, they would not be informed of their status until after the second recruitment weekend/interviews took place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FTJ27 said:

If anybody can give insight or share their experiences! What is the usual time grad school can take to send out acceptance/rejection letter to their first slot of interviewees? I am confused at this point.

Like everyone else has said, it depends largely on the school but also if they give out interviews by selectivity. For example  Dartmouth MCB gave us a choice of two dates but didn't indicate a preference. MD Anderson however said that they were interviewing their top applicants at their first date, and they accepted me within a week of that interview. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, hope everyone's interviews have been going as smooth as possible! In terms of being prepared for interviews, (besides knowing your own research in detail) how helpful is it to know 1-2 of the PI's papers in detail? Has anyone been reading papers and thinking of follow-up experiments/questions to ask? Or am I overthinking this.. 🙈

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sippinmytea said:

Hey all, hope everyone's interviews have been going as smooth as possible! In terms of being prepared for interviews, (besides knowing your own research in detail) how helpful is it to know 1-2 of the PI's papers in detail? Has anyone been reading papers and thinking of follow-up experiments/questions to ask? Or am I overthinking this.. 🙈

Hello! First time posting so sorry if the format is off lol. For interviews with faculty of interest, I've been reading some of their most recent publications and trying to get a better picture of their methods and future research directions. I think preparing a couple of potential research questions based on their pubs would be helpful. However, I think it depends on how long your interview with the faculty of interest will be. If the interview is a bit lengthier, I would prepare more questions or think of potential follow-up experiments or anything else that shows that you are familiar with their literature and are able to discuss their project with them. Hope this helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, green_tea_pls said:

Hello! First time posting so sorry if the format is off lol. For interviews with faculty of interest, I've been reading some of their most recent publications and trying to get a better picture of their methods and future research directions. I think preparing a couple of potential research questions based on their pubs would be helpful. However, I think it depends on how long your interview with the faculty of interest will be. If the interview is a bit lengthier, I would prepare more questions or think of potential follow-up experiments or anything else that shows that you are familiar with their literature and are able to discuss their project with them. Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing, this is a helpful perspective! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.