Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Willing to start a support group for those rejected by Indiana or really anyone who didn't get into their top choice. It was tough to read the email but deep down I knew it was coming, the competition

NYU sends the last official notification of rejection to me today, which marks the end of my 0 acceptance cycle. Though some people are questionning about spam and troll info, I think all the result p

JUST REJECT ME ALREADY SCHOOLS SO I CAN MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE   or accept me plz

10 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

Honestly, that's my feeling too (that next cycle will be equally ridiculous) which is why I shot my shot this time around, but it's been mind-boggling to see how crazy competitive everything is. I know this is a very personal decision for you, but I think you absolutely deserve to have funding whilst pursuing your PhD and I sincerely hope that you receive all the funding you need whether at University of Oklahoma or somewhere else because your intellectual labor matters and it should be compensated. Let keep fingers crossed that we get what we need this time. 

 

And thank you!!! ❤️ 

Thank you, I really appreciate those kind words! I had a chat with them about the process and options, so it's kind of a waiting game at this point (just like waiting to be admitted all over again lol). I definitely agree, PhD's should be funded and I'm hoping things work out there or something else does so I'm not left applying another cycle 🙃.   

Also re: Stanford, I want to say it was a sisterfield to sociology too and they basically said the same and encouraged others to not lose hope. But like what a twist of events to have that be the first acceptance! I can't even imagine, but it's just a testament that you really never know where your chips will fall when you apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 6:11 PM, super12345 said:

Claiming the Harvard acceptance! I'm honored, and a bit shocked. 

It seems that the people accepted to the standalone sociology program have all been notified, but that may not be true for the joint programs (Social Policy, etc.). 

Congratulations!! That's really amazing 🙂 Can I ask what your intended subfield is?

I applied to both the standalone and JDP. No clue what my shot is but holding out hope...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, samuelmsafford said:

Cornell doesn't typically request interviews, and consistently sends out their first round of decisions mid-February. So we can either expect to start hearing back next week or potentially even later, since they made the GRE optional.

 

Edit: last year was a bit out of the norm with them sending rejections early, but previous years they sent out both in mid-February. They seem a bit inconsistent. Best to reach out if you're anxious!

Thank you so so much! 

 

I saw a couple of Development Sociology decisions. So I am guessing it isn't the same timeline for Sociology too? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sdas123 said:

Thank you so so much! 

 

I saw a couple of Development Sociology decisions. So I am guessing it isn't the same timeline for Sociology too? 

 

The Development Sociology program is a PhD in another department in another college, so I'm pretty sure they're on their own timeline!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

How many people here have a masters? It’s starting to frighten me about going straight to a PhD from undergrad...seems like a lot of people already have their masters 😞 

I have two actually. Don't be intimidated. I think as long as you have humility, open-mindedness and intellectual curiosity, it won't matter whether you have a master's or not. One thing I will say is that real life experience outside of academia is incredibly enriching. I worked during my first master's and did a practicum experience during my second and it's informed my future research interests a ton. Not to mention it's given me a lot of perspective that's helped ground me during the...CRAZIEST ADMISSIONS CYCLE EVER 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nicolesaparty said:

How many people here have a masters? It’s starting to frighten me about going straight to a PhD from undergrad...seems like a lot of people already have their masters 😞 

I have a master's of science in Negotiation and Conflict Resolution (so related to sociology in ways, but more social and organizational psychology) and it was anchored in the scholar-practitioner model.  I'll add this too: most of my research experience comes from undergrad with the exception of my master's thesis. So there's a good chance you could have more direct research experience than me and be better prepared in that way. I've also been out of school for 3-4 years now, but have stayed connect to academia in a teaching capacity. I do consulting and facilitation work in conflict navigation and emotional intelligence currently outside of academia. So I have a master's, but will be starting a program essentially without one based on conversations I've had with faculty.

There's pros and cons to both, but you taking the initiative to apply is alone a sign you're ready! I firmly believe people who apply are qualified for programs, even if they aren't admitted (tough cycle this round).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

I have a master's of science in Negotiation and Conflict Resolution (so related to sociology in ways, but more social and organizational psychology) and it was anchored in the scholar-practitioner model.  I'll add this too: most of my research experience comes from undergrad with the exception of my master's thesis. So there's a good chance you could have more direct research experience than me and be better prepared in that way. I've also been out of school for 3-4 years now, but have stayed connect to academia in a teaching capacity. I do consulting and facilitation work in conflict navigation and emotional intelligence currently outside of academia. So I have a master's, but will be starting a program essentially without one based on conversations I've had with faculty.

There's pros and cons to both, but you taking the initiative to apply is alone a sign you're ready! I firmly believe people who apply are qualified for programs, even if they aren't admitted (tough cycle this round).

Negotiation and Conflict Resolution sound very compelling and also very useful considering our current climate. I've taken one negotiation class and realized very quickly that I suck at it 😭😂. I also find it great that you have been able to use the tools and knowledge you've developed to consult and do facilitation work on the side. You have extra income, more flexibility and these grad schools can't bluff you. I love it. Would you say your research interests are more aligned with social/organizational psychology or are you doing a 180 from your master's?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

Negotiation and Conflict Resolution sound very compelling and also very useful considering our current climate. I've taken one negotiation class and realized very quickly that I suck at it 😭😂. I also find it great that you have been able to use the tools and knowledge you've developed to consult and do facilitation work on the side. You have extra income, more flexibility and these grad schools can't bluff you. I love it. Would you say your research interests are more aligned with social/organizational psychology or are you doing a 180 from your master's?

It definitely has come in handy teaching political science too (this semester I'm teaching American Government and Politics lol)! I'm an independent consultant, so COVID hit my practice hard, but I get really energized from the work plus it helps me refine my teaching skills. I plan to keep it up as I work through a program.

As for negotiation, I tend to be a little too accommodating (🙃😭) and still work hard to be more assertive so I'm more collaborative vs. conceding or people-pleasing. I've also learned how to frame and work a conversation more (pro tip: always leverage shared interests, warms up the other side and you're more likely to get some version of what you want). 

A yes and no to that last question: I studied the Islamic State all through undergrad and grad school (both capstones were on it), after grad school I got more into EQ and negotiation work because I didn't want the UN or DC at the time. My current interests are related to past work in studying violent extremism and radicalization processes, but now are more focused on political sociology, social movements, violence, and power themes explicitly. I hope to focus on the rapidly evolving radical right-wing movements in the US, particularly those with capacities for violence. Some folks thought it'd give me competitive edge given our current climate but that proved to not be the case this round lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LMSoc said:

It definitely has come in handy teaching political science too (this semester I'm teaching American Government and Politics lol)! I'm an independent consultant, so COVID hit my practice hard, but I get really energized from the work plus it helps me refine my teaching skills. I plan to keep it up as I work through a program.

As for negotiation, I tend to be a little too accommodating (🙃😭) and still work hard to be more assertive so I'm more collaborative vs. conceding or people-pleasing. I've also learned how to frame and work a conversation more (pro tip: always leverage shared interests, warms up the other side and you're more likely to get some version of what you want). 

A yes and no to that last question: I studied the Islamic State all through undergrad and grad school (both capstones were on it), after grad school I got more into EQ and negotiation work because I didn't want the UN or DC at the time. My current interests are related to past work in studying violent extremism and radicalization processes, but now are more focused on political sociology, social movements, violence, and power themes explicitly. I hope to focus on the rapidly evolving radical right-wing movements in the US, particularly those with capacities for violence. Some folks thought it'd give me competitive edge given our current climate but that proved to not be the case this round lol.

WHEWWWWW🔥🔥🔥🔥 you are a whole powerhouse!!!!!!!! I have no idea where you'll end up, but I hope it's somewhere fantastic because your research interests are important and your skill set is so needed (accommodating or not 😂). I appreciate the pro-tip and look forward to reading some of your work some day! I already feel like I could learn a lot from you. It's amazing how some of these adcomms aren't on the same wavelength 😭. The blindness and gatekeeping sometimes makes me feel like starting a college or university lol. But only when I'm feeling especially silly and salty 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wilderivywander said:

WHEWWWWW🔥🔥🔥🔥 you are a whole powerhouse!!!!!!!! I have no idea where you'll end up, but I hope it's somewhere fantastic because your research interests are important and your skill set is so needed (accommodating or not 😂). I appreciate the pro-tip and look forward to reading some of your work some day! I already feel like I could learn a lot from you. It's amazing how some of these adcomms aren't on the same wavelength 😭. The blindness and gatekeeping sometimes makes me feel like starting a college or university lol. But only when I'm feeling especially silly and salty 😂

Thank you! Haha my hope is to change academia once I get in or shake it up from the outside. My students usually tell me they appreciate having me because I'm more compassionate than most faculty (beyond my department). I think that's what's been so hard to reconcile this cycle: I know what I can do and offer to the field and to know that some programs probably didn't see the value hurts a little. I talked a lot in my SoP about how I wanted to contribute to the field: theory, solutions to social problems, breaking down phenomena to the public, making the work accessible... and maybe it worked against me in ways 🤷‍♀️. Either way, I'm going to do the work the world needs.

If you ever want to start that college or university let me know and I'll help! I worked in Higher Ed for a while, and it was an interesting experience to say the least. Bureaucracy stifles so much potential change in academia (when they say they can't do something, most of the time they really mean they won't). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, donaldduckheim said:

Does anyone know how typical is it to have to apply more than one cycle to get into a soc program? 

 

It's not uncommon, though take that with a grain of salt, as I can only say that from anecdotal knowledge. I've definitely seen a few people here and on Twitter who have had to apply multiple cycles. I feel like unless you have a very clear research agenda and know how to sell yourself well, it can be difficult to get through the applications and figure out how best to approach each school's SOP requirements, etc.

That said, it is VERY likely that a large number of people applying to Soc programs this year will have to apply again next cycle. A lot of top programs have suspended admissions, leaving a larger pool of applicants than normal vying for a limited number of spots. Don't feel bad if you have to apply another cycle, as this is 100% out of our control. If you do end up applying again, at least you will have the experience gained navigating the process this time around!

Edited by samuelmsafford
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samuelmsafford said:

It's not uncommon, though take that with a grain of salt, as I can only say that from anecdotal knowledge. I've definitely seen a few people here and on Twitter who have had to apply multiple cycles. I feel like unless you have a very clear research agenda and know how to sell yourself well, it can be difficult to get through the applications and figure out how best to approach each school's SOP requirements, etc.

That said, it is VERY likely that a large number of people applying to Soc programs this year will have to apply again next cycle. There are a large number of top programs who have suspended admissions, leaving a larger pool of applicants than normal vying for a limited number of spots. Don't feel bad if you have to apply another cycle, as this is 100% out of our control. If you do end up applying a second cycle, at least you will have the experience gained navigating the process this time around!

Due to so many top programs suspending their admissions, do you think that being accepted to a lower ranked school (40s-50s) is going to be more acceptable? Just in your opinion!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

Due to so many top programs suspending their admissions, do you think that being accepted to a lower ranked school (40s-50s) is going to be more acceptable? Just in your opinion!

That's hard to speculate on I think. It definitely says something about you if you get accepted with full funding during one of the worst cycles in a long time (I know it got spotty during the Great Recession too). If the market improves, there will be fewer people looking in 5-6 years, which might also play out in your favor if you're not coming from a top program.

That having been said, I think that your match with a program, publishing as a graduate student, and impressing your advisors and people in your subfield(s) of interest can go a long way in "overcoming" the lower ranking of a program. I also think that you shouldn't accept an offer to a program that you aren't excited about even if it's your only acceptance this cycle. If you believe you can get into a program that is a better match/ranking next time around, and you're willing to hold off another year, do it. Don't "settle!" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

Due to so many top programs suspending their admissions, do you think that being accepted to a lower ranked school (40s-50s) is going to be more acceptable? Just in your opinion!

I was wondering about the same thing.

But in my opinion, by the time we finish with our PhD (5-7yrs), people are going to forget about the mess the pandemic caused in academia. So when we enter into the job market, the pandemic wouldn't "compensate" (for the lack of better word) the low-ranking status of the program. 

But I tend to think negatively, so feel free to disregard my opinion! And like the poster said, what you do during your PhD journey could help overcoming the low-rank status of your program! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gforgreat said:

I was wondering about the same thing.

But in my opinion, by the time we finish with our PhD (5-7yrs), people are going to forget about the mess the pandemic caused in academia. So when we enter into the job market, the pandemic wouldn't "compensate" (for the lack of better word) the low-ranking status of the program. 

But I tend to think negatively, so feel free to disregard my opinion! And like the poster said, what you do during your PhD journey could help overcoming the low-rank status of your program! 

 

I’m thinking just like you 😭😭 but I’m also legitimately wondering if a program in the 40s is good enough to get a job that I want! It’s just a big decision and I don’t want to waste my time 😭😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 78iooi said:

Did everyone applying to Stanford get the result??? I am pretty sure my email works fine but I have not heard from them yet... Do they send out rejections in multiple waves?

I didn't apply but I think that could be a good sign you're still in the mix of things and they don't want to let you go yet! A poster earlier had a theory about a "discreet" waiting list and I agree.. Especially during a cycle like this one. Good luck with everything !!! 

Edited by donaldduckheim
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.