2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, This is it. It's February. We're all going to be hearing back a lot in the next few weeks.  Don't give up. We're so close. I hope that you all receive good news!! Good luck everyo

Apparently the ACS submission deadline for the spring 2021 conference is tonight at midnight, which explains why chemistry seems very slow today.  Remember to take a breath and keep things in per

There's delays this year across every department and almost every college. I've only really heard from a third of my applications, my friend has heard from 1/8 (in math), and some other chem majors I

Posted Images

2 hours ago, matthewe123 said:

Has anyone else not heard back from UW-Madison yet? They're my last school really and I saw lot of rejections going out yesterday, but haven't heard myself yet. Anyone else in this boat?

Might be on the wait list then - Tuesday night an email was sent out that gave the impression anyone expected to sign up for the recruitment weekends already has

10 minutes ago, lilbroccoli13 said:

Might be on the wait list then - Tuesday night an email was sent out that gave the impression anyone expected to sign up for the recruitment weekends already has

Can you explain what you mean by the last part (about the recruitment weekend)?

In any case, thanks, I kind of figured I was on a waiting list of some kind. If anything this gives me the initiative to turn down offers from schools I know I’m not attending now myself lol

31 minutes ago, matthewe123 said:

Can you explain what you mean by the last part (about the recruitment weekend)?

In any case, thanks, I kind of figured I was on a waiting list of some kind. If anything this gives me the initiative to turn down offers from schools I know I’m not attending now myself lol

There’s one recruitment weekend in February and one in March, I guess just as like a thing to meet faculty and current students? But the email said there are currently 100 signed up for Feb and 60 for March and they were hoping for ~80 at each, so I’m guessing those weekends being right around full means that’s all the students they’re expecting to admit by then. Could be wrong though! 

Honestly yeah at this point I haven’t heard from Michigan which is my top choice so I’m just hoping that means I’m wait listed and someone turns their spot down 🙈

3 hours ago, matthewe123 said:

Has anyone else not heard back from UW-Madison yet? They're my last school really and I saw lot of rejections going out yesterday, but haven't heard myself yet. Anyone else in this boat?

for which department? i got an email in december l for an interview with their biophysics department

Edited by Atom345
59 minutes ago, lilbroccoli13 said:

There’s one recruitment weekend in February and one in March, I guess just as like a thing to meet faculty and current students? But the email said there are currently 100 signed up for Feb and 60 for March and they were hoping for ~80 at each, so I’m guessing those weekends being right around full means that’s all the students they’re expecting to admit by then. Could be wrong though! 

Honestly yeah at this point I haven’t heard from Michigan which is my top choice so I’m just hoping that means I’m wait listed and someone turns their spot down 🙈

Thanks! That doesn’t sound too promising but hopefully enough people turn down the program so I can get in 😬. Congrats on your admissions tho-for my sake as much as yours I hope you get into Michigan!

47 minutes ago, Atom345 said:

for which department? i got an email in december l for an interview with their biophysics department

I applied to the Chem PhD with the materials route as my top choice. A lot of my professors are in both the organic and materials tracks though it seemed.

3 hours ago, Chemintuition said:

For everyone in organic waiting for a reply from Berkeley, just got a reply from professor I had been in contact with, said if we didnt hear anything yet an acceptance is a long shot as all first round offers have been sent. Said theyre accepting a really small class due to COVID

Damn, I'm in inorganic, but that still got me worried...

15 hours ago, Beau said:

Do you basically have to be published to be admitted to a top ~15 organic program?

Not at all. I got into top 10 organic programs, including Berkeley, without a publication.

Just now, ilovechem123 said:

What time do schools usually stop sending out notification. Idk if I should stop checking my email lol. I need to hear back from Princeton, UPenn, UMich, and MIT still :(

I still haven't heard from UMich or MIT 

1 hour ago, ilovechem123 said:

What time do schools usually stop sending out notification. Idk if I should stop checking my email lol. I need to hear back from Princeton, UPenn, UMich, and MIT still :(

If you look at past years' data Princeton release all admits at once then either 7 or 14 days later send all rejects rip my $95. Michigan also appears to be mostly done but still may be some sliver of hope there

On 1/16/2021 at 7:05 AM, bubblology said:

Anyone know if Columbia is done with acceptances?

I have not received any feedback yet. My field is inorganic, what about you? Based on previous years, those who receive email notification by 2nd week Feb will likely get a rejection. So sad.

22 minutes ago, a.rose said:

Seeing people hear back from schools that I am waiting for sucks. I know that a lot of us are in the same boat. 

Waiting or all of this is the actual worst. I'm happy that I found this forum. Anyone have any advice for how they're coping with no responses?

spending as much time away from my computer as I can, also working out a lot to get the rage out LOL

11 hours ago, certain_sweet_ochem said:

spending as much time away from my computer as I can, also working out a lot to get the rage out LOL

I totally understand. School is already in full swing for me so I'm on my computer all the time and super busy. Honestly, it's nice to know that we are all struggling together lol

I'm going to try to go to the gym more often but school is already getting to me. 

14 hours ago, metal0114 said:

I have not received any feedback yet. My field is inorganic, what about you? Based on previous years, those who receive email notification by 2nd week Feb will likely get a rejection. So sad.

Organic 😬 someone previously said to be patient so I’m hopping they’re just being slow this year 

58 minutes ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

I am once again asking, anyone have any updates on caltech chem bio or scripps 2nd round interviews? Been seeing inorganic and organic folks post an acceptance here and there.

I did both of these interviews and haven't heard anything. I am going crazy!!! Because for Scripps they said we would hear back early this week, but did not.. 

21 minutes ago, chembioapplicant_int said:

I did both of these interviews and haven't heard anything. I am going crazy!!! Because for Scripps they said we would hear back early this week, but did not.. 

you and I seem to keep coming back to this, it's comforting to know someone else is feeling the same way.

28 minutes ago, chembioapplicant_int said:

I’m in the same boat!!! I was really hoping to hear something today. The day is still young over there I suppose