2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

8 hours ago, lipward said:

Thank you and congrats! Another former Ph.D. student here. I mastered out as I had to teach, do research, take classes, do my missed seminar and candidacy exam all at once. I got sick in my first year and missed a semester. As an international student, I was alone and got exhausted.

Are you in organic track? does it matter which track someone has master out? and again is applying for PhD?

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, This is it. It's February. We're all going to be hearing back a lot in the next few weeks.  Don't give up. We're so close. I hope that you all receive good news!! Good luck everyo

Apparently the ACS submission deadline for the spring 2021 conference is tonight at midnight, which explains why chemistry seems very slow today.  Remember to take a breath and keep things in per

There's delays this year across every department and almost every college. I've only really heard from a third of my applications, my friend has heard from 1/8 (in math), and some other chem majors I

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

I don't know if they are still accepting people (if I had to venture a guess, I'd say they probably are), but I can tell you that the Virtual Open House events will be hosted on February 20 and March 27.

I have the same question to you regarding UW-Madison:) I applied there as well but still haven't heard back. Maybe, that has sth to do with the fact that I'm an international applicant, but it seems some other internationals have been accepted...

As far as Wisconsin goes, they are having 2 visit weekends the first is 2/12-2/14 and the second is 3/12-3/14. I think they are probably mostly done with admissions as I have seen they have sent out rejection letters. But if you haven't gotten a rejection you may be on a wait list of some kind, they will probably admit a certain number of additional people once they get a better idea of how many of their offers are going to enroll.  

1 hour ago, kenzithecat said:

Hi, international student here. I was accepted at Cornell on Dec 17th; visitation days will take place on Feb 20th and Mar 27th. I'm still waiting on UMich and MIT decisions!

Thank you, and congrats on Cornell, it was my top choice along with MIT, although I am very excited about the possibility of going to Michigan, at this point I am satisfied, I just want a decision from MIT and Cornell so I can figure out where I am going, this process is so long and drawn out.  Good luck with the waiting. I know Michigan has a visit weekend scheduled March 11-13, I am not sure if they are done with admissions yet.  

41 minutes ago, ARSack02554 said:

As far as Wisconsin goes, they are having 2 visit weekends the first is 2/12-2/14 and the second is 3/12-3/14. I think they are probably mostly done with admissions as I have seen they have sent out rejection letters. But if you haven't gotten a rejection you may be on a wait list of some kind, they will probably admit a certain number of additional people once they get a better idea of how many of their offers are going to enroll.  

Thx.

26 minutes ago, ARSack02554 said:

Thank you, and congrats on Cornell, it was my top choice along with MIT, although I am very excited about the possibility of going to Michigan, at this point I am satisfied, I just want a decision from MIT and Cornell so I can figure out where I am going, this process is so long and drawn out.  Good luck with the waiting. I know Michigan has a visit weekend scheduled March 11-13, I am not sure if they are done with admissions yet.  

Thank you! Congrats on getting into Michigan! Fingers crossed for your Cornell and MIT acceptances. I assume you're focusing on physical chemistry?

1 hour ago, spaghettios said:

CONGRATS! Me too! I was so happy :~) Hopefully we'll hear from Scripps this week. This really has felt like it's been dragging on and on... 

1 hour ago, chembioapplicant_int said:

Still waiting on Scripps here, but got into Caltech :)

Seems like the three of us have had a very similar experience, were either of you at the Friday zoom call? Maybe we met?

3 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

Guys, can anyone please tell me when the visitation weekends for Yale, Columbia, and Berkeley will be held?

For Yale they are on Feb 11/12 and March 11/12

10 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

Guys, can anyone please tell me when the visitation weekends for Yale, Columbia, and Berkeley will be held?

Berkeley's are March 5-6, 12-13, and 19-20

17 minutes ago, CoordinationChem said:

Columbia’s are Feb 26th and March 12 with optional info sessions about apartment hunting and stuff on the corresponding Thursdays and Saturdays 

8 minutes ago, ashortchemist said:

Honestly, it seems like the admissions cycle is starting to come to an end. Everyone in this thread has some great options and a lot of celebrate. 

Man, I’m still waiting on three! UCSD, UCI, and Stanford. It sounds like everyone will hear back from Stanford either way by Monday from past years. The other two, I’m not sure since there isn’t really a clear pattern. I still have some good offers though :)

10 minutes ago, Fechef said:

Man, I’m still waiting on three! UCSD, UCI, and Stanford. It sounds like everyone will hear back from Stanford either way by Monday from past years. The other two, I’m not sure since there isn’t really a clear pattern. I still have some good offers though :)

UCI (Irvine, right?) is also SO spread out. I have friend there who got in mid Feb.  Stanford, I’m worried all that’s left is the slaughter day, based on how many admits have been posted so far and that they tend to do it all in one or two days. 

1 hour ago, ashortchemist said:

UCI (Irvine, right?) is also SO spread out. I have friend there who got in mid Feb.  Stanford, I’m worried all that’s left is the slaughter day, based on how many admits have been posted so far and that they tend to do it all in one or two days. 

Yes! I KNOW. It’s so stressful lol. I feel like I should get in based on stats, but it’s so random. I think if we don’t get admitted by the weekend, Stanford is a no. But it was also a reach for me, so that’s okay. 

20 minutes ago, Fechef said:

Yes! I KNOW. It’s so stressful lol. I feel like I should get in based on stats, but it’s so random. I think if we don’t get admitted by the weekend, Stanford is a no. But it was also a reach for me, so that’s okay. 

Yeah I applied to Irvine too. I thought based on my current results I wouldn’t have trouble getting in but I haven’t heard anything yet. 

My friend who goes there had like a 3.2 in undergrad and was in my research lab on the same project. Sigh. 

Honestly, the worst part of this process is the rejections you know are coming but haven’t gotten yet. I have a couple rn.  It’s like waiting for a meteor to hit. 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, chem2021 said:

Thank you!! :) 

Hi! I just got response from Duke. PI told me that admission decisions this year are delayed until some time in Feb by mandate of the University. I'm not sure what that means and the "decisions" here just sound like official decisions sent after the virtual open house, since unofficial offer with open house invitation should be sent by the department first. Maybe just a nice PI wants to give a polite response which does not tell me directly that I was rejected...