Jump to content

2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ilovechem123 said:

For those accepted to Princeton what subdivision did you guys apply to? it is my dream school and I am really bummed that I have not heard back yet :(

I didn’t apply to Princeton, and while I heard they tend to send all admits at once, anything can happen. I just wanted to say keep your head up, this process is so hard but I promise there’s a light at the end of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, This is it. It's February. We're all going to be hearing back a lot in the next few weeks.  Don't give up. We're so close. I hope that you all receive good news!! Good luck everyo

Apparently the ACS submission deadline for the spring 2021 conference is tonight at midnight, which explains why chemistry seems very slow today.  Remember to take a breath and keep things in per

There's delays this year across every department and almost every college. I've only really heard from a third of my applications, my friend has heard from 1/8 (in math), and some other chem majors I

Posted Images

Just now, ashortchemist said:

I didn’t apply to Princeton, and while I heard they tend to send all admits at once, anything can happen. I just wanted to say keep your head up, this process is so hard but I promise there’s a light at the end of it. 

thank you :) I wish you the best of luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 4:10 PM, chemgirl99 said:

Has anyone heard back from UWashington, Northwestern, Cornell, or Berkeley? I am waiting on those 4 and really want to know when to expect them... I am going crazy over here

I heard back from UWashington and Berkeley with acceptances for their PChem programs! I think its by topic though and still early rounds!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2021 at 10:25 PM, byegal said:

Hi there, I also got an acceptance! I didn't interview or hear back before today, I just received an email from the vice chair of admissions informing me that they are recommending me for admission, haven't received the formal acceptance letter.

Same! No interview just an email!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I've been lurking for a while but reading about the Caltech interviews finally got me anxious enough to make an account lol. I haven't been contacted by them all. I wish if I were rejected they would just tell me already!!

I do feel lucky though because I already have 3 acceptances I'm excited about, just waiting to hear back from the remaining 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, quantummoon said:

Hey, I've been lurking for a while but reading about the Caltech interviews finally got me anxious enough to make an account lol. I haven't been contacted by them all. I wish if I were rejected they would just tell me already!!

I do feel lucky though because I already have 3 acceptances I'm excited about, just waiting to hear back from the remaining 4.

Im in a similar boat (I made an account to comment on the caltech status lol). Been accepted and rejected by a few schools. I havent heard back from Caltech either! Anxious but sorta calm because ive only seen one person from Organic say they got a second round interview..... Hoping to hear by the end of this week and whatever the outcome, Im going to grad school!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, certain_sweet_ochem said:

Im in a similar boat (I made an account to comment on the caltech status lol). Been accepted and rejected by a few schools. I havent heard back from Caltech either! Anxious but sorta calm because ive only seen one person from Organic say they got a second round interview..... Hoping to hear by the end of this week and whatever the outcome, Im going to grad school!  

This is a great attitude to have!


It’s easy to get caught up on a certain school, but the reality is that you will probably have a similar caliber experience and career prospects at most of the top 10/ top 15 schools.

Not to mention that just going to grad school is a huge accomplishment that not many achieve. I hope you hear back soon, though!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, certain_sweet_ochem said:

Im in a similar boat (I made an account to comment on the caltech status lol). Been accepted and rejected by a few schools. I havent heard back from Caltech either! Anxious but sorta calm because ive only seen one person from Organic say they got a second round interview..... Hoping to hear by the end of this week and whatever the outcome, Im going to grad school!  

Same here, chemical biology focus instead though, I have yet to see any second interview offers since our interview days at the end of last week, does anyone know when the organic folks did their first interviews and then when they heard back?

On another note does anyone know when scripps is doing invites to their virtual visitation weekend?

The suspense is killing me.

Edited by ChemBioApplicant
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChemBioApplicant said:

Same here, chemical biology focus instead though, I have yet to see any second interview offers since our interview days at the end of last week, does anyone know when the organic folks did their first interviews and then when they heard back?

My interview was 1/4, she told me I would hear at the earliest, 1/15, but im anticipating hearing back sometime this week. I know some people were interviewed the week of 1/11, which makes me think only second round people were interviewd again for 5 mins?? I have no idea tho TBH, and it doesnt really matter because it is out of our control. Bottom line- dont worry! If you are admitted or not it is likely for the best :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes, re:Caltech I'm going Pchem, if that matters. From what I read on here and the results page it sounded like all the interviews for pchem went out already so I'm not hopeful haha 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chemintuition said:

Update for those in the organic division, Purdue accepted me January 14th at like 1 am and have been declined from Emory and Vanderbilt. Still waiting to hear from 8 schools. Waiting on 3 different UC schools.

I was also rejected from Vanderbilt on Friday night, and I applied organic as well. The research fit was admittedly poor and I only applied to have another chance to stay with my boyfriend. It was shocking none the less, as I’ve been accepted into multiple top 20 programs with large fellowships. 

I contacted my PI about it and she said she heard Vanderbilt Orgo was really struggling with money, so please don’t beat yourself up about it too much. 
 

Sincerely hoping your remaining 8 are all acceptances :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ashortchemist said:

I was also rejected from Vanderbilt on Friday night, and I applied organic as well. The research fit was admittedly poor and I only applied to have another chance to stay with my boyfriend. It was shocking none the less, as I’ve been accepted into multiple top 20 programs with large fellowships. 

I contacted my PI about it and she said she heard Vanderbilt Orgo was really struggling with money, so please don’t beat yourself up about it too much. 
 

Sincerely hoping your remaining 8 are all acceptances :)

 

Thank you!! Best wishes for you moving forward. Was definitely surprised to get denied to Emory and Vanderbilt when I got accepted to Purdue. Oh well, all ya need is one right? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

Same here, chemical biology focus instead though, I have yet to see any second interview offers since our interview days at the end of last week, does anyone know when the organic folks did their first interviews and then when they heard back?

On another note does anyone know when scripps is doing invites to their virtual visitation weekend?

The suspense is killing me.

Also chem bio! Last week Scripps reached out to me to schedule a short, informal interview. The interviews have been taking place late last week and early this week. They should reach out about the virtual visit weekend in a few days! 

Edited by spaghettios
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChemBioApplicant said:

Same here, chemical biology focus instead though, I have yet to see any second interview offers since our interview days at the end of last week, does anyone know when the organic folks did their first interviews and then when they heard back?

On another note does anyone know when scripps is doing invites to their virtual visitation weekend?

The suspense is killing me.

Hi! Also chem bio applicant here, Scripps sent me their virtual interview weekend invitation in late December, but it sounds like they're sending out more this week/next week according to @spaghettios. Hope this helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spaghettios said:

Also chem bio! Last week Scripps reached out to me to schedule a short, informal interview. The interviews have been taking place late last week and early this week. They should reach out about the virtual visit weekend in a few days! 

Firstly congratulations on the interview!! and wow, do you know if you'll know whether you're accepted after your informal interviews? I never did any informal interviews, just got the formal interview invite back in December to their interview weekends in feb and march and I have no idea if the weekend is more like a recruitment thing or a serious interview type thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, elle_chem said:

Firstly congratulations on the interview!! and wow, do you know if you'll know whether you're accepted after your informal interviews? I never did any informal interviews, just got the formal interview invite back in December to their interview weekends in feb and march and I have no idea if the weekend is more like a recruitment thing or a serious interview type thing

I think I will just know whether I will get the formal interview invite! I'm not exactly sure what the actual visit weekend is either. But it's probably a good thing that you got your invite so early and didn't have to do the preliminary interview! I would guess I was probably in a pool of second-tier choices or something 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spaghettios said:

I think I will just know whether I will get the formal interview invite! I'm not exactly sure what the actual visit weekend is either. But it's probably a good thing that you got your invite so early and didn't have to do the preliminary interview! I would guess I was probably in a pool of second-tier choices or something 😅

thats interesting, never knew scripps had multiple rounds, but best of luck to you and hope to see you at one of the interview weekends!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, elle_chem said:

thats interesting, never knew scripps had multiple rounds, but best of luck to you and hope to see you at one of the interview weekends!! 

Yeah I was not expecting it! I hope to see you tooooo 🙂 Congrats on getting the real interview invite so early!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kathinated said:

Hey, has anyone head anything about Harvard Chem? They haven't let anyone know anything right? Is this normal?

I just heard back from a prof today! I can't believe it! I applied for physical chemistry. I am still shocked and mildly convinced I will get an email tomorrow telling me they made a mistake, lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.