Theories on How Grad Committees Decide?

nina gorman

I meant by government, what if government was dishing out the white supremecist propaganda? But we're getting off that tangent. I'm sorry I ever used the ethnicity component in my original theory example. I take primary responsibility for this can of worms I am glad to see getting sealed up. :oops:

Re: your theory: most ethereal yet technological. Mmmm. I think it precisely explains some of my own rejects and several of those in the submits data of the Grad cafe. We are a creative bunch indeed. :D

Re: your theory: most ethereal yet technological. Mmmm. I think it precisely explains some of my own rejects and several of those in the submits data of the Grad cafe. We are a creative bunch indeed. :D

it's not a problem. it's not the first time someone hasn't agreed with me, and most certainly not the last.

and the ketchup is most integral to the decision making process, as is the age of aquarius influence.

I hear from my first schools next week so I've found myself analyzing the process more than ever before. I imagine a hypothetical scenario where a handful of professors and such sit in a room and pour over the applications, comparing and contrasting while subsequently sorting from greatest potential to least. This list is only predicated on all the components of our applications and ultimately decided by their proclivities for what they look for individually within the personal statement or letters of recommendation. Finally, they deliberate and compromise their decisions and, of course, pick me as their top choice and elect me for the highest honor fellowship...and then my daydream ends and am struck with the stark reality that its March and I've heard nothing yet...

Dear DuGuy,

Your conception has a strong view of the adcoms as rather subjective. I think a certain amount of fantasy helps us get by. Maybe if you think you might be a tad bit telepathic, you might consider expanding these visualizations and channeling them to the adcoms, preferably with mantra that suits your aims and mood -e.g. OOOOOMMMMM, The universe is one-ADCOMS OMMMMMM, R- E- A-D, OMMMM- MY OMMMM - W-R -I -T-I-N-G S-A-M-P-L-E. :D Not a bad idea. Hang in there, Grasshopper, :shock: DuGuy. May the Tao be with you. :) nina gurley flynn

Nina, you don't think there's a degree of subjectiveness in the deliberation process? I think we prefer to believe that equity is the rule of thumb but everyone knows unique backgrounds, connections, and other "ins" certainly help your application shine. Not to say that there's biases or even prejudices, I just believe that in fields such as one of mine (Geography) where there's a good deal of intimacy between professors and graduate students, certain traits are sought in an application.

Yes, DuGuy, I AGREE wholeheartedly- at least from what I have gathered from browsing the Grad Cafe submit results, from conversations with other grad students. I imagine what really goes on behind the closed doors of the adcoms is practically impossible to research, and atherefore to assess.

I would guess however, that the HIGHER UP you go in rank and research productivity of a university, the MORE SUBJECTIVE the process may become. Let's face it. The high tier schools want BOTH research assistants in the top 5 or 10% of their classes who have kicked butt on the GREs, AND they want them with THEIR research interests. I have also heard the theory that they want to get students at a middle range level of qualification- high enough to keep up with the work but not so high that the profs can't "mold" them into the professionals they hope them to be (whatever that is). I hope this molding rumor is more stereotype than reality based.

I also think it is impossible for adcoms to avoid bias towards applicants who share their theoretical and sometimes political views. Your subjective hypothesis supports that of the almighty crapshoot theory discussed earlier in this forum.

I was just playing with you about the mantra- trying to joke around to ease the pain of this application process, A REAL TRIAL FOR THE OL EGO I have found, and I only applied to three schools (two dinged and one to go) It must be hell for those who applied to 10 or more.