Jump to content

Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread


Recommended Posts

On 3/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, PLessPoint05 said:

Anyone hear back from UW Stats of those that are “still being considered” yet? 

No word. Did your email talk about an actual waitlist or about the number of apps/offers that have been made so far?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me when UWashington acceptances came out and my inbox was empty: It is the evening of the day I press refresh on gradcafe Rows of green I can see But not for me I sit and watc

Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to @bayessays for being around and giving solid input/advice to a lot of people on here.

Just got an unofficial acceptance from NC State in an email from Graduate program director. Finally some relief! 

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, confusedbear said:

Are you allowed to renege and take an offer that was extended after 4/15?

If you think UCLA may give you an offer, you can ask the school you would otherwise commit to if you can have a few extra days extension in light of the situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, confusedbear said:

I emailed UCLA coordinator and she said that if they make any more offers it will be after 4/15. I'm very confused by this - what happens if you accepted another offer before that date? Are you allowed to renege and take an offer that was extended after 4/15?

When I applied to UCLA (several years ago) they told me the same thing. Basically it's a waitlist, and they're going to wait and see if there are spots left after 4/15.

If you really want to go there, then I agree the best thing to do is to email the program of the offer you would otherwise accept and ask for like a 1 week extension. Given the current climate with COVID, it's possible they will let you. Otherwise, it's not really worth the risk IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MrKrabs3 said:

Does anyone know what's going on with UCI stats PhD?  Got an e-mail that UCSD will have their decisions out "very soon."

Hi, are you applying for Stats PhD or Biostats PhD? I am the latter and I am still waiting on UCSD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StatsG0d said:

When I applied to UCLA (several years ago) they told me the same thing. Basically it's a waitlist, and they're going to wait and see if there are spots left after 4/15.

If you really want to go there, then I agree the best thing to do is to email the program of the offer you would otherwise accept and ask for like a 1 week extension. Given the current climate with COVID, it's possible they will let you. Otherwise, it's not really worth the risk IMO.

How do you ask for an extension like that? Do you have to tell them why? I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if you tell them it's because you're waiting for another school, but maybe this happens more often than I think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JeffSg said:

Hi, are you applying for Stats PhD or Biostats PhD? I am the latter and I am still waiting on UCSD.

Stats.  Also they still haven't updated since that email for me either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, confusedbear said:

How do you ask for an extension like that? Do you have to tell them why? I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if you tell them it's because you're waiting for another school, but maybe this happens more often than I think?

I mean I didn’t do it because I was worried about what they might think but I think with COVID they might be more flexible.

 I guess I wouldn’t provide disingenuous reasons of why you want the extension but if it’s for family reasons or something you could just say that due to your personal situation you strongly desire to live in area X. If it’s just because “UCLA sounds cooler”  then I probably would just accept one of your other offers. 

Edited by StatsG0d
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, confusedbear said:

How do you ask for an extension like that? Do you have to tell them why? I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if you tell them it's because you're waiting for another school, but maybe this happens more often than I think?

Last year I've asked for an extension on April 15th due to getting an offer very late in the cycle.

IMO it doesn't hurt to try and ask at least; the most likely worst-case scenario is that your request for extension gets denied (I would be quite shocked if anything worse than this happens) but there is a chance that they would grant you an extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone still waiting for the statistics phd program decisions of UC Davis and Rice? They are saying both admission and waitlisting decisions would be released no later than April 15, but I'm seriously considering just accepting an offer by OSU...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shyburrito said:

U should check the portal, I got a rejection earlier today 😐

Sorry to hear that. Where on the app are decisions? I am only able to see my submitted app, letters of rec, etc. No decision letter yet.

Edited by bayesboi
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bayesboi said:

Sorry to hear that. Where on the app are decisions? I am only able to see my submitted app, letters of rec, etc. No decision letter yet.

If you haven't seen the link, they're probably still considering you. It should look like this when the decision is out:

Best of luck to you bro!

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 7.42.18 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to everyone making last-minute decision before the April 15th deadline!  I know it is stressful to make such a life-altering decision and it is easy to be overwhelmed.  Just remember that it is impossible to predict the future (even when you have a PhD in statistics!) and all you can do is inform yourself as best you can and follow your gut!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw some people got rejections from UW today. I got the “your application is still under review” a few weeks ago but haven’t heard back, reject or accept. Does anyone know what this might mean? I have other programs to commit to but UW is my first choice! Help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PLessPoint05 said:

I saw some people got rejections from UW today. I got the “your application is still under review” a few weeks ago but haven’t heard back, reject or accept. Does anyone know what this might mean? I have other programs to commit to but UW is my first choice! Help!

I'd email the grad coordinator and tell them they're your first choice but your other deadline is tomorrow and asking if they have an update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bayessays said:

I'd email the grad coordinator and tell them they're your first choice but your other deadline is tomorrow and asking if they have an update.

I already responded what you said to the grad coordinator when I got the original email. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I guess I must wait. Thanks for the advice! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone else also waiting for TAMU Stats PhD? I've emailed the department three times regarding result over the past few months, but the response is always generic. (A little frustrating.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.