Jump to content

Fall 2021 Religion PhD


Recommended Posts

Rejected from UT Austin (history).

Should've applied to their Religious Studies dept. Meh. Oh well. 

That's: 

2/8 accepted

5/8 rejected

1/8 pending

In short, I'm doing way better than the first round of applications (100% rejection 😂). But it still sucks to get rejected so many times. It's a mindf-ck really.  

____

I'll also mention that even though I had doubts about moving away from the Religious Studies track, I've had some of the most amazing conversations with folks in the Chicanx Studies program at UCLA. I also managed to find some new research opportunities so I'll potentially also be collaborating with theologians at Loyola Marymount Univ. I think I'll also reach out to the POI at Texas and see if it's still possible to work on a different project together. Rejection from a program doesn't mean I stop doing research, right? Besides, the AAR will be in Austin for Nov. 2021 🤣 (They thought they could get rid of me hahahaha!)

Okay, I'm ranting now.  

Edited by CafeConGabi
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received an offer of admission from the Toronto School of Theology. Financial aid information is forthcoming. Out of six applications, this means I got into two (Toronto and KU Leuven in B

Accepted to the MA program at UVA. Was wrestling between this or the PhD program at Marquette but finally decided that I'll be heading to UVA to work with the faculty that I'm more inclined to study w

In at Fordham!! Just got an informal acceptance over the phone!

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, CafeConGabi said:

Rejected from UT Austin (history).

Should've applied to their Religious Studies dept. Meh. Oh well. 

That's: 

2/8 accepted

5/8 rejected

1/8 pending

In short, I'm doing way better than the first round of applications (100% rejection 😂). But it still sucks to get rejected so many times. It's a mindf-ck really.  

Yeah, every rejection does sting. But at least you’ve got two pretty good choices! Congratulations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crossroadsph said:

Yeah, every rejection does sting. But at least you’ve got two pretty good choices! Congratulations.

Ohhhhhhhh! 

I didn't mention anything about Univ of Denver, did I? 

Well, lemme just say that UCLA has been courting me like crazy while Denver hasn't put in the same effort. This feels weird tbh. Like, aren't you even a little excited for me to come to y'all's campus? 😂

I didn't get the advisor I asked for and the funding feels light. I'm feeling iffy about Denver now. Mm, less confident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CafeConGabi said:

Ohhhhhhhh! 

I didn't mention anything about Univ of Denver, did I? 

Well, lemme just say that UCLA has been courting me like crazy while Denver hasn't put in the same effort. This feels weird tbh. Like, aren't you even a little excited for me to come to y'all's campus? 😂

I didn't get the advisor I asked for and the funding feels light. I'm feeling iffy about Denver now. Mm, less confident. 

Oh dear! In that case, I’m just glad that one school is making the effort and I’m not too sure about the other, given what you told me. 

Good luck with your decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, crossroadsph said:

Oh dear! In that case, I’m just glad that one school is making the effort and I’m not too sure about the other, given what you told me. 

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you! What an exciting time to be alive! 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CafeConGabi said:

Ohhhhhhhh! 

I didn't mention anything about Univ of Denver, did I? 

Well, lemme just say that UCLA has been courting me like crazy while Denver hasn't put in the same effort. This feels weird tbh. Like, aren't you even a little excited for me to come to y'all's campus? 😂

I didn't get the advisor I asked for and the funding feels light. I'm feeling iffy about Denver now. Mm, less confident. 

I found UCLA very enthusiastic and welcoming too (NELC in my case though)

Certainly made it easier to make up my mind! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hindia94 said:

Thanks! It might be worth dropping them an email just to check what your status is though?

I emailed them about a week ago and they said they were still finalizing and that they’d send out results by the end of March. So I’ll just assume that’s a no. And then if something changes, it’ll be a pleasant surprise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Official rejection from UChicago yesterday. Didn’t really sting since I’m used to it at this point 🥴 lol. No official word from Vandy yet but I already know what’s coming. At this point I’m shifting attention to the one MTS application I put out. I’m hopeful about that one but worried about funding. Will follow up on the MTS page.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, KungFuKenny said:

Official rejection from UChicago yesterday. Didn’t really sting since I’m used to it at this point 🥴 lol. No official word from Vandy yet but I already know what’s coming. At this point I’m shifting attention to the one MTS application I put out. I’m hopeful about that one but worried about funding. Will follow up on the MTS page.

Best of luck to you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just accepted my offer of admission to Fordham in Systematics. Declined my acceptance to Drew. Writing an email to my mentor at Drew was and is heartbreaking. These are such complicated decisions, decidedly not fun. Sigh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I was rejected by all my applied to schools this year. However I got a publication in a peer review journal 
(heythrop) after the fact. How much does a publication in a respected journal help with applications? Just trying to figure out plans for strengthening my profile for next year

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zwinger said:

So, I was rejected by all my applied to schools this year. However I got a publication in a peer review journal 
(heythrop) after the fact. How much does a publication in a respected journal help with applications? Just trying to figure out plans for strengthening my profile for next year

Very sorry to hear! I've been there. It's a cold comfort, but this application cycle was unparalleled in its competitiveness, and your results this cycle don't necessarily speak to your merits as a scholar.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have a publication in a respected journal. Without knowing much about your academic background, the only advice I can offer is to write a statement of purpose that is focused but not narrow. Be really specific about why you want to attend a particular program, though - make sure there is a direct link between your interests and the interests of faculty members. Strong letters of recommendation are a must - solicit four instead of three, if you can. Make sure your writing sample is the best possible demonstration of the work you would like to do.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, _Athena_ said:

Very sorry to hear! I've been there. It's a cold comfort, but this application cycle was unparalleled in its competitiveness, and your results this cycle don't necessarily speak to your merits as a scholar.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have a publication in a respected journal. Without knowing much about your academic background, the only advice I can offer is to write a statement of purpose that is focused but not narrow. Be really specific about why you want to attend a particular program, though - make sure there is a direct link between your interests and the interests of faculty members. Strong letters of recommendation are a must - solicit four instead of three, if you can. Make sure your writing sample is the best possible demonstration of the work you would like to do.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

My references are good, and didn't know about having a fourth. Honestly my GPA is not low but not high (3.6 range), so I kinda hope the publications can make up for that fact. Thank you for all this information! It will be helpful for next year

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zwinger said:

My references are good, and didn't know about having a fourth. Honestly my GPA is not low but not high (3.6 range), so I kinda hope the publications can make up for that fact. Thank you for all this information! It will be helpful for next year

Is that undergrad or masters gpa?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KungFuKenny said:

Thought y’all should know since we go way back to like January lol...Just received an admissions offer from Candler school of Theology (Emory) with 75% tuition funding! This was the only MTS program I applied to along with my 4 PhD apps.

 

Congratulations!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I've been actively primarily on the 2021 MTS thread, but for this question your expertise here is more applicable.

I've been accepted to Notre Dame and Yale Divinity's MTS/MAR programs in moral theology/ethics. Funding is similar. I was many years ago an undergraduate philosophy major at the University of Chicago but have been working in investment banking for a decade and am now in my mid 30s. When my masters work is complete, I'm planning to apply for PhD programs.

All of this said, can you please help me weigh Notre Dame and Yale against one another? Which in your mind would position me best for doctoral applications?

Edited by Chicago Guy
Link to post
Share on other sites

FINALLY got an answer from BC - it was a rejection but dear me what a LONG PROCESS! Not sure what their deal was but I did the interview back in mid-January and they told me they would give me an answer no later than early early Feb. Really surprised - luckily I have accepted an offer at elsewhere in history of religions. Really excited about it since the faculty is wonderful and they are really doing great thing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.