Jump to content

Recommended Posts

One of my friends got Boren last year (South Africa) but hasn't been given the green-light to leave yet. A couple weeks ago, she told me that Boren sent out emails and notified last year's recipients that they'd be updated on their country-specific program status on April 16th (Friday). I'm assuming that's when we'll hear back at the earliest since I don't think it would make much sense for them to notify the new cohort about their program statuses before the older cohort. But maybe that's not the case - fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!🙃

Edited by lexiree123
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well i am desperate so i called and they said there is a good chance notifications will go out today but no guarantees. they said if not today then tomorrow but good chance it will be today

Patience is key! I am sure we will get good news soon. In the meanwhile, the NSEP Annual Report for 2020 was released a couple of weeks ago. Worth taking a look at, maybe that will help us during this

One of my friends got Boren last year (South Africa) but hasn't been given the green-light to leave yet. A couple weeks ago, she told me that Boren sent out emails and notified last year's recipients

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, lexiree123 said:

One of my friends got Boren last year (South Africa) but hasn't been given the green-light to leave yet. A couple weeks ago, she told me that Boren sent out emails and notified last year's recipients that they'd be updated on their country-specific program status on April 16th (Friday). I'm assuming that's when we'll hear back at the earliest since I don't think it would make much sense for them to notify the new cohort about their program statuses before the older cohort. But maybe that's not the case - fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!🙃

That's a very good point. But they did tell us (old cohort) it would be *by* April 16th, so there's still that possibility. Oh well, no use in guessing. Hopefully in the next few days both news should come out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Umenohana said:

That's a very good point. But they did tell us (old cohort) it would be *by* April 16th, so there's still that possibility. Oh well, no use in guessing. Hopefully in the next few days both news should come out!

Oh! "By" being the operative word! That gives me a little more hope! Thanks haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lexiree123 said:

Anyone else holding their breath today😅? I'll be refreshing my email nonstop until 11:59 PM haha! Good luck to us all🤞

I'm waiting on a tweet like this today, if I don't see it by like 3PM I assume it won't be today 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tomsand said:

I'm waiting on a tweet like this today, if I don't see it by like 3PM I assume it won't be today 

 

Oooh yeah. Well they haven't been super active on twitter in the past few days/weeks so who knows if they'll say anything or if it will just be a surprise. I wonder if they tweet something like this every year. I know some people from the last cohort called Boren to ask when they'd be announcing, so if any of us get desperate enough that's another option lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, lexiree123 said:

Oooh yeah. Well they haven't been super active on twitter in the past few days/weeks so who knows if they'll say anything or if it will just be a surprise. I wonder if they tweet something like this every year. I know some people from the last cohort called Boren to ask when they'd be announcing, so if any of us get desperate enough that's another option lol

well i am desperate so i called and they said there is a good chance notifications will go out today but no guarantees. they said if not today then tomorrow but good chance it will be today

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, foreignpolicy123 said:

well i am desperate so i called and they said there is a good chance notifications will go out today but no guarantees. they said if not today then tomorrow but good chance it will be today

Thank you for your service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, utpaturaldrisur said:

Does anyone know if you will be able to differ the scholarship until 2022-2023? Or are you expected to just work with what you get?

Probably not, deferrals were not allowed last year (at least in the beginning-- not sure if things ended up changing as covid got more serious)

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bethanyc19 said:

Does anyone know if the decision email will contain the decision? or does the email direct you to a portal to view the decision? I just need to be cautious today when opening my email and make sure I'm ready😅

It will contain the decision in the email itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AONomad said:

Probably not, deferrals were not allowed last year (at least in the beginning-- not sure if things ended up changing as covid got more serious)

They kind of allowed us to defer, but not really. At first it was "you must leave by March 1st 2021, no matter what." I think that's the usual Boren guidelines. Then closer to the end of fall, they allowed us to defer our departure date to either summer or fall 2021. But in either case, we'd absolutely HAVE to come back to the US by December 31, 2021. Nobody would be able to stay into 2022. 

As mentioned above, they haven't actually told us if summer 2021 is an option. We're still waiting on that decision to come out. Haven't heard any updates since when we had to put in our deferral decisions in the fall.

So I think they'd be somewhat flexible, but don't expect no-strings-attached deferrals into the next academic year. You'd have to reapply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alternate for the Fellowship. Pleasantly surprised actually - my research was going to be in mainland China, so I thought if anything that would mean I was bound to be rejected, considering the current restrictions in place. Does anyone know how likely getting off of the alternate list  is?

Edited by Gwarth94
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, seagull_stan said:

When is the deadline for finalists to accept their awards?

May 2-- but some other people in my program who are alternates said they might not hear back as late as September in some cases according to what they were told

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the alternates, I don't know much about how likely it is to get promoted, but I am afraid chances are very low for us, especially with that September cutoff. My guess is that most people won't decline by May 2nd yet, and sit on the award and see where it takes them. Since travel approvals are so uncertain, it really doesn't make sense to decline, if they can just decline at a later date without any penalty. (That's what lots of us in the 2020 cohort have been doing, not many of us actually declined, unless they were absolutely sure that it's not what they wanted anymore)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.