Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Azzeroth said:

I applied to the PhD in Leadership and Policy Studies at Vanderbilt and interviewed on Dec.30th. At the interview I was told that they would have their decisions by mid to late January and their virtual visitation tour was in early February. I haven't heard from them though...

Thanks for the info Azzeroth! Was this an interview with the professor you're interested in working with or a general interview? Trying to figure out if I'm essentially written off for this year since I did not have an interview. Any more info is much appreciated :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, musicalminded said:

Thanks for the info Azzeroth! Was this an interview with the professor you're interested in working with or a general interview? Trying to figure out if I'm essentially written off for this year since I did not have an interview. Any more info is much appreciated :) 

I interviewed with three professors. I did not state in my SOP that I wanted to work with those particular three Professor, but research is similar. They said they were part of the search committee. But that's all I know, hope that helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Azzeroth said:

I interviewed with three professors. I did not state in my SOP that I wanted to work with those particular three Professor, but research is similar. They said they were part of the search committee. But that's all I know, hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! Just curious, did you send your GRE scores? If so, do you mind me asking what you earned? I only applied to Penn and Vanderbilt, but my GREs weren't anything to write home about. I had friends and colleagues tell me the rest of my application was strong, but if schools sorted by GRE scores, mine was definitely thrown in the 'don't pile'.

It's looking like I'm going to focus on studying for the GREs more and reapplying for next year. If you're willing and remember, please come back here and update on your progress. Wishing you good luck with everything!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, musicalminded said:

Thanks for the info! Just curious, did you send your GRE scores? If so, do you mind me asking what you earned? I only applied to Penn and Vanderbilt, but my GREs weren't anything to write home about. I had friends and colleagues tell me the rest of my application was strong, but if schools sorted by GRE scores, mine was definitely thrown in the 'don't pile'.

It's looking like I'm going to focus on studying for the GREs more and reapplying for next year. If you're willing and remember, please come back here and update on your progress. Wishing you good luck with everything!!

I also didn't do too hot on the GRE. I was dealing with covid in my household when I took the at-home test. Because I felt like the scores weren't a true representation of my capabilities I did not submit it to Vanderbilt. I also did not submit my scores to the other Education Policy programs. Some completely got rid of the GRE requirement but for other programs (like Vanderbilt) where it was optional... I opted out of sending my scores. (also it was more money I didn't have to send them). I'll keep you posted and good luck in your grad journey! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Freezer29 said:

Has anyone heard the final decisitions? 

@Freezer29 I haven't heard anything at all from Vanderbilt regarding the outcome, whether good or bad, for myself.

 

15 hours ago, Azzeroth said:

I also didn't do too hot on the GRE. I was dealing with covid in my household when I took the at-home test. Because I felt like the scores weren't a true representation of my capabilities I did not submit it to Vanderbilt. I also did not submit my scores to the other Education Policy programs. Some completely got rid of the GRE requirement but for other programs (like Vanderbilt) where it was optional... I opted out of sending my scores. (also it was more money I didn't have to send them). I'll keep you posted and good luck in your grad journey! 

@Azzeroth Yeah taking the GREs at home was quite an experience 😅 I was happy with my writing score, but not the other two scores. I sent my scores to Vanderbilt, but maybe I shouldn't have. I wish everyone would just get rid of the requirement. It's a lot of time, but more importantly, it's expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, musicalminded said:

@Freezer29 I haven't heard anything at all from Vanderbilt regarding the outcome, whether good or bad, for myself.

Anything yet? I'm loosing my mind with all the anticipation!

@Azzeroth Yeah taking the GREs at home was quite an experience 😅 I was happy with my writing score, but not the other two scores. I sent my scores to Vanderbilt, but maybe I shouldn't have. I wish everyone would just get rid of the requirement. It's a lot of time, but more importantly, it's expensive.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Azzeroth said:

Just got the email a few minutes ago... I was rejected too. Darn. Goodluck on the GRE!

@AzzerothSorry to hear that :( Here's hoping for good news from one of your other schools soon!! I only applied to Penn and Vanderbilt. Since I didn't get an interview at Penn, I am almost certain I will be rejected there as well. Time to focus on what I can control...my studying for GRE...round two 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Freezer29 said:

So sorry to hear you guys, I still have not received anything 😅, don't know what to make of it.

Hope it turns out better for you! Please feel free to come back and update here through the process. I'll most likely apply again next year and continue in my current teaching assignment for another year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, musicalminded said:

@AzzerothSorry to hear that :( Here's hoping for good news from one of your other schools soon!! I only applied to Penn and Vanderbilt. Since I didn't get an interview at Penn, I am almost certain I will be rejected there as well. Time to focus on what I can control...my studying for GRE...round two 😄

I would recommend applying for the IRT. They wavied the application fee for most of the programs and provided weekly one-on-one meeting for SOP and CV revision. https://www.andover.edu/about/outreach/irt/irt-application

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Freezer29 said:

Yes I had my interview at the same date as you actually, but nothing yet 😭😭😭.

Ah! At my interview they did say this year was tough.. only had funding for 4 students (were they usually accept 8 ) Please keep us updated, I hope it goes to you! : )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.