• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO BOSTON COLLEGE! I'm crying so hard. I'm so thankful and in disbelief, I've been shaking since I got the email. I'll be emailing shortly to take myself off of the UConn waitlist

Just got an email that I'm now at the top of the waitlist at Boston College. Fingers crossed! I'd love to see a five + year dream/goal achieved and never have to go through an admissions cycle again 🙃

Guys!!! I am in at UT-Austin!!!I cannot CANNOT CANNOT believe

Any word on a virtual visiting day for Rutgers or UVA? I’m not sure if they usually invite waitlisters to these events, and also just curious when they might be held, as that might instigate some movement for all of us waiting.

Just now, Rehana202 said:

Any word on a virtual visiting day for Rutgers or UVA? I’m not sure if they usually invite waitlisters to these events, and also just curious when they might be held, as that might instigate some movement for all of us waiting.

UVA's virtual visits are this week though I'm not sure what's on deck or how it works (in general and re: waitlists).

38 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

UVA's virtual visits are this week though I'm not sure what's on deck or how it works (in general and re: waitlists).

Thanks for this! Seems like some invite waitlisters, some don't. Hopefully we will see some movement on the UVA waitlist soon! 

What's the protocol on emailing to ask if there's been any movement on the waitlist? The waitlist email I received (one month ago) was very kind and encouraging, they said they were extremely interested in my application and encouraged me to check back in before accepting a position anywhere else. 

Sooo... it's ok to give them a nudge and be like "heyyyyyyy do you want me yet?" right? 😅

I would not stress so much about the protocol if they told you that they were that interested in your candidacy. However, I also believe it's far too soon to ask them that unless you have another offer you are also interested in. People have time until the middle of April to decide after all and some folks might not have even heard of some of the programs they applied to because of COVID...

On 3/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, maddykrob said:

Waitlisted at SUNY Albany this morning! Only 5 funded positions, and I'm at the top of the waitlist for one. I'm thrilled and also incredibly anxious about more waiting. This is my top choice program! (media AND poetics? a dream)

Congratulations!!! Waitlisted at Albany as well, but with different research interests (ecocriticism, film, and horror). Good luck to you!!

39 minutes ago, Debord said:

Hi folks,

Not really one for public forums but wanted to notify wait listed applicants of some potential movement: I was accepted off the wait list at my reach school and will be declining my PhD offers at Boston College and McGill.

Hope that is welcome news to somebody.

Congrats for getting into your reach school! If you would feel comfortable, would you mind PMing me what your research interests are? I'm waitlisted at Boston College and am curious. If not, no problem :) 

I've seen a few posts like this before, but I'm wondering if I should reach out again to BC and reaffirm my interest in their program as well as see about my place on the waitlist? I've been accepted to two more conferences since I submitted my application, and received two awards. I'm wondering if it could be a kind of two birds one stone sort of email, or if I should wait to send an email like this when we get closer to April. 

1 hour ago, cassidyaxx said:

I've seen a few posts like this before, but I'm wondering if I should reach out again to BC and reaffirm my interest in their program as well as see about my place on the waitlist? I've been accepted to two more conferences since I submitted my application, and received two awards. I'm wondering if it could be a kind of two birds one stone sort of email, or if I should wait to send an email like this when we get closer to April. 

I was also kind of wondering at what point it might make sense to reach out to programs that waitlisted a while back.

I think in your case because you have many updates - it is probably worth it! I'd imagine it can't hurt, right?

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

I'm sure this is different for every program, but my MA Grad Director told me that my clear interest in the program (follow-up emails, visiting campus, etc.) helped me in the admissions process. IMO it can't hurt to reach out and reaffirm that they are your top choice program and you're still interested. Good luck!

2 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

45 minutes ago, brockdenbrown802 said:

I was also kind of wondering at what point it might make sense to reach out to programs that waitlisted a while back.

I think in your case because you have many updates - it is probably worth it! I'd imagine it can't hurt, right?

I would also think reaching out can't be a bad thing! I'm waitlisted at Albany for funding, and in the decision email, the director said they would welcome a check-in email in a few weeks at which point they could give me a better idea of my status, etc. Good luck to you guys!!

Anyone have any insight on the whole secret waitlist thing? I applied to one PhD program in Lit and have heard nothing, but I know they have already sent out both rejections and acceptances. I reached out once and was told I should hear in late March but everyone else heard in early February. Not sure what exactly that means, but it has been suggested that maybe I'm on an unofficial waitlist. Are any of you aware of or familiar with this process? Thanks!

I haven't seen Fordham mentioned here yet, but I just declined their Phd offer. Hopefully, a waitlisted student will be notified quickly because their open house/welcome days begin March 23rd. They're really nice people! 

22 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I've just declined my offer at Davis, and also removed myself from CUNY's waitlist. Hope this helps someone!

I am curious: according to your profile, you are already attending a PhD program (correct me if I am wrong, maybe it's a MA). I wanted to ask you, in case you have experience about this, if you found any trouble at the time of applying for other PhDs when alreadly enrolled in one.

Btw, it's already 16th of March and I'M NERVOUS. Hang in there everyone, the countdown has already begun!

oh I've been lurking for a while, but waitlisted at USC for comp lit (on a "very short" waitlist) as well as for ASE (which they openly said is rarely used).

comp lit gave a little more hope, but pretty much said its too unpredictable for them to ascertain if/how they'll use the waitlist.

sorta my last hope for this cycle. heres to hoping I guess haha. 

21 minutes ago, Kaharim said:

I am curious: according to your profile, you are already attending a PhD program (correct me if I am wrong, maybe it's a MA). I wanted to ask you, in case you have experience about this, if you found any trouble at the time of applying for other PhDs when alreadly enrolled in one.

Hi! Sorry for the confusion--I am currently in an MA, and will be starting a PhD in Comm/Media at Michigan this fall! I updated my signature to show my cycle is wrapped and I made my decision to attend Michigan lol. Probably could have phrased it more clearly.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:32 AM, Bopie5 said:

I've just declined my offer at Davis, and also removed myself from CUNY's waitlist. Hope this helps someone!

Thanks for the update! May I ask if the Davis offer you declined was for English or Comp Lit? Thanks!