Jump to content

NIH PREP 2021-2022 Applicants unite


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Potato4.2 said:

Yeah, I did email and they said that they already sent out offers so if you have not heard back, then that probably means our applications were not accepted :(

Aw man... It's upsetting they couldn't at least send rejection letters. :( Thanks for letting me know..

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ariana_D said:

Aw man... It's upsetting they couldn't at least send rejection letters. :( Thanks for letting me know..

No problem! In his email he mentioned that they are just waiting for acceptance letters at this point and that they do not send rejections until they have their official cohort. In case a student declines their offer, they keep a pool open, but that only tends to be one or two students usually. 

Edited by Potato4.2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 2:34 PM, andykins419 said:

Got rejected from UNC :(

On 4/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, Hiptoast said:

Please don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you'll get into an amazing program and then to an even more amazing graduate program.

I am sorry that did not work out, but I am sure a great opportunity is around the corner for you! Like Hiptoast said, I am sure you're going to get into an amazing graduate program in the end!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 10:33 AM, Angel_ said:

Hey everyone so I have an update

UNC - Rejected

Davis - Rejected

JHU - Rejected 

STAR-PREP - Interview

OHSU - Interview 

Haven't heard anything from Harvard, MIT and Yale. 

I'm also still planning to apply to Rochester. 

Congrats! I also have an interview for STAR- PREP that I am looking forward to. Does anyone have any tips or example questions they can share? I have been practicing the standard ones (weaknesses, strengths, etc.) but are there any others that have stood out to anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 5:37 PM, Potato4.2 said:

Congrats! I also have an interview for STAR- PREP that I am looking forward to. Does anyone have any tips or example questions they can share? I have been practicing the standard ones (weaknesses, strengths, etc.) but are there any others that have stood out to anyone?

Hi! In my interviews I actually didn't get any "standard" interview questions like strengths and weaknesses besides a question to give an example of a challenge or something that didn't work out as expected during a research project. Interviews go by so fast in only half an hour, so the questions were pretty much "Why do you want to do PREP", "Why do you want to do our program specifically", "tell me about your research experience", "What is your career goal/what do you want to do after getting a PhD" and "Whose lab in our program are you interested in working in". It's basically whatever you probably already wrote as your personal statement but you get a chance to explain yourself in more detail and show your enthusiasm for their program. And definitely come up with some good questions to ask them at the end because it's important that you're also getting a good sense of what their program is like and if it's a good fit for you. I hope that helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 5:28 AM, mh11608 said:

Hi! In my interviews I actually didn't get any "standard" interview questions like strengths and weaknesses besides a question to give an example of a challenge or something that didn't work out as expected during a research project. Interviews go by so fast in only half an hour, so the questions were pretty much "Why do you want to do PREP", "Why do you want to do our program specifically", "tell me about your research experience", "What is your career goal/what do you want to do after getting a PhD" and "Whose lab in our program are you interested in working in". It's basically whatever you probably already wrote as your personal statement but you get a chance to explain yourself in more detail and show your enthusiasm for their program. And definitely come up with some good questions to ask them at the end because it's important that you're also getting a good sense of what their program is like and if it's a good fit for you. I hope that helps!

Thanks! This was helpful! I have a list of questions ready to go too! :)

Edited by Potato4.2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, NoCapMoon said:

Still no word on Yale interviews?

 

 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:51 PM, S_JJJ said:

I am not sure how many people are waiting on YALE PREP, but I have a feeling Yale will be reaching out tomorrow! I looked back at the other forums, and I saw that people received interview invites the Friday of this week. *fingers crossed*  

How’re y’all hanging with this waiting game? Personally I’ve picked up a new language to help cope with not checking my email every second of the day when I get a chance at work. I’ll just start playing Duolingo for a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yale has already extended offers. If you haven’t heard back, you weren’t selected. I reached out to the program director and she says they’ve made their selections already. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NoCapMoon said:

Yale has already extended offers. If you haven’t heard back, you weren’t selected. I reached out to the program director and she says they’ve made their selections already. 

Thanks for the information. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! I had an interview with Harvard RSI last month and haven't heard back. Should I let go of the dream? haha Also, as of now, I've been rejected from all PREP programs I applied to, with the exception of two that I haven't heard back from (including Harvard). Could anyone offer some advice to me in the situation that I don't get accepted anywhere? I'd greatly appreciate it :)! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2021 at 10:24 AM, smarty7 said:

Ah no. I'm waiting for Uchicago, UMass Amherst, Boston, and UCSC. 

I had an interview for UChicago earlier this month and they extended an offer a few of weeks ago. For BU I had an interview about a month ago and they just got back to me last week. It's possible they are still going down the list and making offers if people aren’t accepting them, but I just wanted to share that information with you. Hope it helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Potato4.2 said:

I had an interview for UChicago earlier this month and they extended an offer a few of weeks ago. For BU I had an interview about a month ago and they just got back to me last week. It's possible they are still going down the list and making offers if people aren’t accepting them, but I just wanted to share that information with you. Hope it helps!

Ah, thank you for your input! I do have some updates.

When I last reached out to UChicago, they told me applications were still under revision. I did reach out to UCSC but is was to no avail multiple times. Ultimately, I was accepted at both UMass and BU so I've decided to accept BU's offer :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, smarty7 said:

Ah, thank you for your input! I do have some updates.

When I last reached out to UChicago, they told me applications were still under revision. I did reach out to UCSC but is was to no avail multiple times. Ultimately, I was accepted at both UMass and BU so I've decided to accept BU's offer :) 

Thats great! Congratulations!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.