Jump to content

Got accepted to Rutgers MA for English, but I already have an MA in Humanities


Recommended Posts

Hello, everyone.

I hope you're all doing well and staying safe. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I think I'm just confusing myself, as I tend to worry a lot.

I got my MA in Humanities and Social Sciences from NYU in 2014. For the last five years, I've been working as a high school English teacher. I've been feeling so guilty and sad that my MA wasn't in English. I took many classes irrelevant to my field of study, which is American Modernism. I wish I knew more literature. I wanted to broaden my scope of literature and possibly write a master's thesis that is relevant to my field of intended study. That's why I applied for a second MA at Rutgers in Newark some time ago.

Unfortunately, the second MA will not be funded. It's crazy because I'm already so broke from NYU, so I was on the fence about going for this MA program. My ultimate goal is to get a PhD in English, one that is funded fully. (I also got an acceptance letter to Temple University's PhD in English last month, but it was an unfunded offer that I had to reject). 

Would it be wise to spend two years getting a second master's? I could get better letters of recommendation, immerse myself in literature, find out who I am as a scholar, etc. Or should I just spend my summer strengthening my application for the PhD? 

Thank you so much in advance. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all due respect, you have been advised many times to turn down partially funded offers, virtual programs, cash cow programs, and other really bad options. What makes you think a worse option would warrant a different response?

Call me a grumpy old timer, but it seems to me that the responses to all your other posts aren't getting through. So let me put this as simply as possible: do not apply to, let alone consider an offer from, a program that will require you to pay anything out of pocket. Full stop.

 

Edited by Ramus
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ramus said:

With all due respect, you have been advised many times to turn down partially funded offers, virtual programs, cash cow programs, and other really bad options. What makes you think a worse option would warrant a different response?

Call me a grumpy old timer, but it seems to me that the responses to all your other posts aren't getting through. So let me put this as simply as possible: do not apply to, let alone consider an offer from, a program that will require you to pay anything out of pocket. Full stop.

 

Thank you for your reply! I guess I was just worried. It threw me in for a loop. My professor thought it would be a good idea to get a second master's, but after doing a lot of research, I feel that it's going to be a waste of money. NYU already cost me so much. 😮 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, LittleShakespeare90 said:

Thank you for your reply! I guess I was just worried. It threw me in for a loop. My professor thought it would be a good idea to get a second master's, but after doing a lot of research, I feel that it's going to be a waste of money. NYU already cost me so much. 😮 

This is a crowdsourced list of funded MA programmes, I think it’s pretty up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZ7ejtJETaRH7ufh2O1S21HOeTTy9EYgi7Z5vUHCRLI/edit#gid=0

I think an MA (PROVIDED ITS FULLY-FUNDED!!) could benefit you in your particular situation, so if you’re applying to PhDs in the next cycle (although I thought you were putting it on the back burner?) maybe consider putting in some applications to funded MAs too. However, I think in a previous post someone mentioned other options (something like a free program for teachers to take classes in lit?). Spending time researching and reading to strengthen your app is really what’s going to help you the most. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 3:21 AM, queenofcarrotflowers said:

This is a crowdsourced list of funded MA programmes, I think it’s pretty up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZ7ejtJETaRH7ufh2O1S21HOeTTy9EYgi7Z5vUHCRLI/edit#gid=0

I think an MA (PROVIDED ITS FULLY-FUNDED!!) could benefit you in your particular situation, so if you’re applying to PhDs in the next cycle (although I thought you were putting it on the back burner?) maybe consider putting in some applications to funded MAs too. However, I think in a previous post someone mentioned other options (something like a free program for teachers to take classes in lit?). Spending time researching and reading to strengthen your app is really what’s going to help you the most. 

What a lovely list! This is such a valuable resource. I'll think it over, but I think you're right. Strengthening my app will definitely be more beneficial. Thanks so much for all your help! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.