Got accepted to Rutgers MA for English, but I already have an MA in Humanities

Hello, everyone.

I hope you're all doing well and staying safe. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I think I'm just confusing myself, as I tend to worry a lot.

I got my MA in Humanities and Social Sciences from NYU in 2014. For the last five years, I've been working as a high school English teacher. I've been feeling so guilty and sad that my MA wasn't in English. I took many classes irrelevant to my field of study, which is American Modernism. I wish I knew more literature. I wanted to broaden my scope of literature and possibly write a master's thesis that is relevant to my field of intended study. That's why I applied for a second MA at Rutgers in Newark some time ago.

Unfortunately, the second MA will not be funded. It's crazy because I'm already so broke from NYU, so I was on the fence about going for this MA program. My ultimate goal is to get a PhD in English, one that is funded fully. (I also got an acceptance letter to Temple University's PhD in English last month, but it was an unfunded offer that I had to reject). 

Would it be wise to spend two years getting a second master's? I could get better letters of recommendation, immerse myself in literature, find out who I am as a scholar, etc. Or should I just spend my summer strengthening my application for the PhD? 

Thank you so much in advance. :)

With all due respect, you have been advised many times to turn down partially funded offers, virtual programs, cash cow programs, and other really bad options. What makes you think a worse option would warrant a different response?

Call me a grumpy old timer, but it seems to me that the responses to all your other posts aren't getting through. So let me put this as simply as possible: do not apply to, let alone consider an offer from, a program that will require you to pay anything out of pocket. Full stop.

Edited by Ramus
10 hours ago, Ramus said:

With all due respect, you have been advised many times to turn down partially funded offers, virtual programs, cash cow programs, and other really bad options. What makes you think a worse option would warrant a different response?

Call me a grumpy old timer, but it seems to me that the responses to all your other posts aren't getting through. So let me put this as simply as possible: do not apply to, let alone consider an offer from, a program that will require you to pay anything out of pocket. Full stop.

Thank you for your reply! I guess I was just worried. It threw me in for a loop. My professor thought it would be a good idea to get a second master's, but after doing a lot of research, I feel that it's going to be a waste of money. NYU already cost me so much. 😮 

On 3/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, LittleShakespeare90 said:

Thank you for your reply! I guess I was just worried. It threw me in for a loop. My professor thought it would be a good idea to get a second master's, but after doing a lot of research, I feel that it's going to be a waste of money. NYU already cost me so much. 😮 

This is a crowdsourced list of funded MA programmes, I think it’s pretty up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZ7ejtJETaRH7ufh2O1S21HOeTTy9EYgi7Z5vUHCRLI/edit#gid=0

I think an MA (PROVIDED ITS FULLY-FUNDED!!) could benefit you in your particular situation, so if you’re applying to PhDs in the next cycle (although I thought you were putting it on the back burner?) maybe consider putting in some applications to funded MAs too. However, I think in a previous post someone mentioned other options (something like a free program for teachers to take classes in lit?). Spending time researching and reading to strengthen your app is really what’s going to help you the most. 

On 4/1/2021 at 3:21 AM, queenofcarrotflowers said:

This is a crowdsourced list of funded MA programmes, I think it’s pretty up to date: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZ7ejtJETaRH7ufh2O1S21HOeTTy9EYgi7Z5vUHCRLI/edit#gid=0

I think an MA (PROVIDED ITS FULLY-FUNDED!!) could benefit you in your particular situation, so if you’re applying to PhDs in the next cycle (although I thought you were putting it on the back burner?) maybe consider putting in some applications to funded MAs too. However, I think in a previous post someone mentioned other options (something like a free program for teachers to take classes in lit?). Spending time researching and reading to strengthen your app is really what’s going to help you the most. 

What a lovely list! This is such a valuable resource. I'll think it over, but I think you're right. Strengthening my app will definitely be more beneficial. Thanks so much for all your help! :)