[HCI/UX/Design/Digital Media] ???PARSONS Design and Technology vs GATECH Digital Media?

KOGAKU

Hi guys!

Currently I am waving between these two programs.

My goal after graduating is to be a UX designer.

Parsons is super nice, but kinda too expensive.

Gatech is super nice too, but I am concerned about its industrial reputation.

Any advice? Thanks a lot!!!?‍♀️

On 3/31/2021 at 3:18 AM, KOGAKU said:

Hi, thanks for your reply! Could you talk a little bit more about reasons? 

Hey-- quick question, are you talking about PhD or MA?

GA Tech's program looks bomb. I was tempted one night by its catalog, around when I was writing my PhDissertation...it seems flexible for UX/UI design vs. researcher. I'd go in primarily for the latter, but if design is your thing, it's probably still a good bet. I'm not sure why you'd be worried about GA Tech's industrial reputation--it's a top-tier tech university with plenty of strong post-grad outcomes.

21 hours ago, Suraj_S said:

GA Tech's program looks bomb. I was tempted one night by its catalog, around when I was writing my PhDissertation...it seems flexible for UX/UI design vs. researcher. I'd go in primarily for the latter, but if design is your thing, it's probably still a good bet. I'm not sure why you'd be worried about GA Tech's industrial reputation--it's a top-tier tech university with plenty of strong post-grad outcomes.

I am not sure whether I should study design in an art school or in a tech university. On the one hand, I feel like Parsons is more creative than GT and has more alumni in the field of design - GT is great, but Parsons may have a better reputation in design. On the other hand, Parsons is located on NYC -  I love the vibe of the city.

For GA Tech, did you apply to the Digital Media program or the HCI program? Because if you applied to the Digital Media program, you applied to the wrong program. The Digital Media program is Game Studies and AR focused, much like at UCSC. The HCI program I don't know anything about.

As for Parsons, as you said, it's a highly creative program and it's good if you want be a designer generalist with multiple emerging technologies at your disposal. There's new courses popping up under the "Currents" moniker. The campus is amazing. If you don't mind the cost, then Parsons would be a good choice. Full disclosure: I'm a New School alum and have applied to the Parsons DT program in the past.

Edited by DrF8