• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone! Just an update--I just received an acceptance email from Michigan State for the doctoral program in Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures! I don't think anyone else on here applied th

Anyone else already starting to get antsy waiting to hear back? 😅

Got an interview at UT Austin. First program I’ve heard from! Sending good luck to everyone!!

Posted Images

Hi folks.

Lately, I have been contemplating starting over at a community college and transferring to a different University. I feel like in my department (English) there is not much support. My goal is to later pursue a PhD in English and specialize in Queer and Multicultural Young Adult Literature. What advice do you all have for me in terms of starting over, or maybe if I should continue finishing my undergrad at my University?

Hi Izzie,

It would help if you could give more information:

-did you mean start over at a community college OR transfer to another university, not AND?

-what year are you, a sophomore, junior, senior?

- what specifically do you mean about not getting support? Do you not have a good relationship with your professors? Are your grades low? Are you worried about not getting good letters of recommendation?

If you could fill in the picture more, it will be easier to offer assistance or advice.

@UndergradDad

It is a combination of things. My English department has been home for the past couple of years; I am a senior- with one more year left to graduate- but I feel disconnected from the department. I have had difficulties with my mental health and have barely gotten the right meds to help with my disorder- and throughout the course of these past 7 years, I have taken several medical withdrawals, so my academic transcript is torn. I have a 2.5 overall, a 2.8 in the major, and am currently trying to finish a minor in Chicano Studies. I was about to graduate last year, and applied for my school's MA program, but got rejected because of low gpa. My program requires a 3.0 in the last 60 units, and I have a 2.4. Due to complications in my mental health last year, I failed to graduate. My professors all know I have had difficulties with mental health, and recommended I take some time off school and stabilize, which I did. But after returning to online zoom school, I feel like my performance is not that great. 

So yes, a variety of things have contributed to me wanting to "start over".

It sounds like you believe you may not be able to finish the year off and graduate with your English major. If you thought you could finish, I would suggest you do that and then if finances permit, to see if there is a state school nearby with reasonable graduate tuition that you could take a course a semester and see how you do with that. If you did well in those courses you could then get recommendations to get into a masters program as a route into applying for a Phd program after the masters.

I am not familiar with how difficult it would be to transfer in senior year to another university or college to finish the English major so maybe someone else can speak to that.

Since you already have taken your first and second year courses I don't think a community college would be the best route, unless I'm missing something there.

I certainly wish the best for you with your mental health issues, which are the most important areas to focus on.

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone (among the ones who are already in gradschool) be willing to share their writing sample? It has left me terribly jittery and I don't have a sample to fall back on. What kind of writing gets/may get you into gradschool is what I am trying to figure out. I am an international applicant and am already struggling with this whole application rigmarole but I guess it's the writing sample that can most definitely make or mar you. Any help, in the way of samples, (be it dissertation chapter or a published paper or an initial draft) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

50 minutes ago, Hard times! said:

Would anyone (among the ones who are already in gradschool) be willing to share their writing sample? It has left me terribly jittery and I don't have a sample to fall back on. What kind of writing gets/may get you into gradschool is what I am trying to figure out. I am an international applicant and am already struggling with this whole application rigmarole but I guess it's the writing sample that can most definitely make or mar you. Any help, in the way of samples, (be it dissertation chapter or a published paper or an initial draft) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

THIS. Would anyone be so kind as to share their writing samples and personal statements? (Don't worry, I'm not applying for programs in English, so I won't be in competition with you in any way in the future 😊) Thank you!!!

My personal statement is already kicking around the forum. This was my writing sample: https://www.academia.edu/12320500/A_Cistercian_Copy_of_Eadmers_Life_of_Anselm_BHL_0526_from_Northern_England_and_the_Canonization_of_Anselm_of_Canterbury_by_Thomas_Becket

(Whoops, this is lit, the above is history - personal statement should still be fine)

One question: is it just me that it seems weird some of grad programs are not posting graduate students' email addresses on their websites? I thought it'd be a good idea to reach out to some of them and see what they think about their programs. Without an email address the programs directly cut them off from outside communications. Is this some sort of red flag?

13 hours ago, Alyson said:

One question: is it just me that it seems weird some of grad programs are not posting graduate students' email addresses on their websites? I thought it'd be a good idea to reach out to some of them and see what they think about their programs. Without an email address the programs directly cut them off from outside communications. Is this some sort of red flag?

I agree that this is odd. On the one hand, I tend to think any tendency for a program to keep prospective students away from current grad students should be treated with suspicion. On the other hand, this could very easily be an oversight by the website design team or a university policy intended to protect student privacy. You might try emailing the Director of admissions and asking if they can put you in touch with some current graduate students with similar interests so you can ask them some questions.

5 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I agree that this is odd. On the one hand, I tend to think any tendency for a program to keep prospective students away from current grad students should be treated with suspicion. On the other hand, this could very easily be an oversight by the website design team or a university policy intended to protect student privacy. You might try emailing the Director of admissions and asking if they can put you in touch with some current graduate students with similar interests so you can ask them some questions.

This is a great idea! Thank you!! 😃 

On 10/16/2021 at 6:44 AM, Alyson said:

THIS. Would anyone be so kind as to share their writing samples and personal statements? (Don't worry, I'm not applying for programs in English, so I won't be in competition with you in any way in the future 😊) Thank you!!!

I'd be happy to share with you and/or @Hard times! some stuff I have if you find it helpful! I'm a first-year in an English Lit program. I've got my writing samples, personal statements, and a draft of a publication that is *very* long in the works 😅 Just DM me !

Does anyone have any insights into Rochester's lit programme? So far it's my best fit given my joint interest in visual studies and time studies.

However, I do remember reading somewhere that Rochester never bothered to respond to certain applications-- not even a rejection letter. Was that even Rochester I wonder! Any red flags and I won't apply because my circumstances are pretty straitened already-- I can apply to a meagre 7-8.

Thanks a lot!

I decided quite a while ago to which programmes in the US I wanted to apply, and only now I'm seeing that one of the programmes isn't taking applicants for next year. :'D Fortunately, they have another programme available that's quite similar, so I might try for that one instead (also depending on what they say with regard to language requirements, because my other programme does have my situation listed as a potential one in which you can get a waiver). Still, I hate this moment so much for an application time, as I'm only now developing my research ideas in my programme and will write my thesis next semester, so I might just try for a few this year and if it doesn't work out try again next year.

1 hour ago, labradoodle said:

I decided quite a while ago to which programmes in the US I wanted to apply, and only now I'm seeing that one of the programmes isn't taking applicants for next year. :'D Fortunately, they have another programme available that's quite similar, so I might try for that one instead (also depending on what they say with regard to language requirements, because my other programme does have my situation listed as a potential one in which you can get a waiver). Still, I hate this moment so much for an application time, as I'm only now developing my research ideas in my programme and will write my thesis next semester, so I might just try for a few this year and if it doesn't work out try again next year.

My guess is that program is Duke? I was hugely disappointed when I found that out 😭😭😭

If anyone is having nerves about emailing potential LOR writers, just do it! If you haven't already, now's the time to start reaching out! I know it can be intimidating, but writing LOR is a big part of your professors' jobs, and they've definitely been asked many times before. So don't feel weird about it!

Ok, that's it for my pep talk!

Also, does anyone know with regard to US unis: do they or do they not want you to propose an exact small niche that you want to research (as in a proposal question)? I'm mainly putting all my stress right now into developing my interests further and turning them into a PhD proposal, but would the US really be okay with you just putting down your general interests? I had hoped to receive more information from my teachers, for instance, or from other students applying in my programme, but that's not really happening unfortunately.

Edited by labradoodle

Yes exactly! I think I'm going to apply for their English programme now instead of literatures. But I'm so sorry!

Good luck!! But I won't be applying for the English program because the faculty is just not the same...

Also, does anyone know with regard to US unis: do they or do they not want you to propose an exact small niche that you want to research (as in a proposal question)? I'm mainly putting all my stress right now into developing my interests further and turning them into a PhD proposal, but would the US really be okay with you just putting down your general interests? I had hoped to receive more information from my teachers, for instance, or from other students applying in my programme, but that's not really happening unfortunately.

I want to know too! I feel like if I propose a very small niche that might make me look like I'm inflexible and unwilling to learn things outside the area. If I put down a broad area then it might mean that I don't know the topic enough. My professors are not sharing much information and advice with me too. I hope this is not because no one, professors and students included, actually knows the answer to this question??

On 10/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, sadevilminion said:

If anyone is having nerves about emailing potential LOR writers, just do it! If you haven't already, now's the time to start reaching out! I know it can be intimidating, but writing LOR is a big part of your professors' jobs, and they've definitely been asked many times before. So don't feel weird about it!

Ok, that's it for my pep talk!

Haha this is really nice and I have been trying to write to my MA dissertation supervisor ever since your post but alas! He was my supervisor three years ago and the world has changed in so many ways since then and yes I had my MA in a different country (so no chances of showing up in his office to rattle his memory). He was pretty nice back then but what are the chances of a supervisor even vaguely remembering you if you have not been in touch and you were never a genius or your work was just as nondescript as a subway joint? Will sending the work help or sending the SOPs help? Or do you just write first? How do you approach a teacher after three years?

1 hour ago, Hard times! said:

Will sending the work help or sending the SOPs help? Or do you just write first? How do you approach a teacher after three years?

I think since you have not had contact for a good amount of time, I would start with a more general re-introductory email. Remind them of your general goals and research interests, your intent to apply for PhD programs, and that you are reaching out to ask them for a little. I would also include something like  - "If you feel like you are able to write a strong letter for me, I would happy to send over my application materials (SOP, CV, Writing Sample)." You may also wish to ask them to help review your materials and that you would be happy to set up a zoom meeting if it would be beneficial. 

Thanks so much! I will try to do that as soon as possible! Just the prospect of my supervisor saying a 'no' is keeping me from writing but of all my recommenders he would perhaps be best able to comment on my research ideas.

I'm quite salty about something tbh: I couldn't start my applications till last month (when I was too busy with classes starting again,which is on me, sure), but only now I can really find clear info about the language tests and potential waivers (which is probably also on me, sure, but this is a rant more than a real complaint lol), and the applications are open for only 2 months or so, but TOEFL states you need to do the test 2/3 months before your earliest admission deadline, which is basically impossible. But now I'm finding info that I'm probably not eligible for waivers in the U.S. unis I wanted to apply to (most other places, even in the UK, where I'm considering applying waive the tests for me), even though I've literally been studying almost exclusively in English for the last 4 years.. So annoying, honestly. :( I know I should've just done it earlier, but I wanted to first start the application and figure out all the info to make sure I really wanted to and not waste any money (which turned out to make sense because one of my programmes just didn't open for new applicants this year). I'll contact them anyway with "I literally studied English, in English, what more do you want" emails, but I'm not too optimistic lol. Still, especially because it's clear so late whether they're actually taking on new applicants, I do feel like this is a bit of a shitty policy towards internationals, but whatever haha.

Edited by labradoodle