Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

I am interested in getting the online master's in educational leadership, on the higher education track. 

The website is quite sparse. Anyone have any insights on it? 

I am curious to see what courses the program offers (in addition to the four foundation courses).

I'm also wondering if online students will be able to cross-register at Harvard Business School. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, everyone! And thank you, @TabTurbo for starting this new thread! Is there anyone else applying for the PhD in education this year? Also, I wonder how the acceptance rate varies between the

It was tremendously helpful going through past threads and huge congrats to those enrolling in HGSE for Fall 2021! Thought it's not too early to start the new thread for those interested in applying f

Hello all! Looking forward to applying this year. Very nervous, but HGSE has always been my dream. I can agree with @sunshine_and_rainbows, when reading the forums from previous years, everyone s

Posted Images

@TabTurbo

  • When you say HGSE classes are not as rigorous as those in other Harvard schools, how so?
    • HGSE, by design, is a 1-year program and that makes it difficult for courses to cram in too much material and instead teach you how to apply material as a practitioner. While masters students obviously aren't getting their PhD, the short length of the program doesn't lend itself to course structures to go in-depth on material. In the courses I took, we ended up glancing through a bunch of topics, making it hard for professors to assign work that was rigorous.
  • How do you feel about your career outlook comparing to what you were led to believe when enrolled?
    • I'm probably not the best person to ask since I'm a part-time student. I've taken advantage of the ability to take courses at other schools and network there, so my opinion highly differs from other HGSE students.
  • Apart from the handling of the pandemic-impacted class, how was your experience with the school leadership & management overall?
    • Outright terrible. HGSE administration has been poor with communication the past year and hasn't shown signs of getting/doing better. They continue to disappoint me and fellow classmates with either lack of communication or terribly redundant communication, minimal community-building, etc.

@futureproofAvoid, avoid, avoid the online program. I'm part of basically the beta-test of the online program and as you can probably tell, it's been a terrible experience. I didn't get access to all of the courses that HGSE offers to its regular, full-time program; in fact, Dean Long bragged about having an embarrassing 49% of courses available to us. I have no idea how much that might go up with the arrival of the online program, but can't imagine it being much higher as professors have complained about having to manage two different classes.

I'm not sure about HBS cross-registration if you were in the online program, but you would have to be in the Boston area to do that since HBS is exclusively (or at least mostly) back to in-person.

Also, I think you get a different degree with the online program.

Overall, just like a consumer good, don't try the first iteration of something brand new. Let HGSE figure out how to make the online program good, and evaluate it as an option in a few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, just butting in here, but I would like to ask if what's the GRE score needed to have a shot at acceptance? I'm a prospective student by 2024 (I know pretty far ahead), and I'm from the Philippines. My dream program is the HGSE PhD (HDLT concentration). Currently, I am a Special Education teacher alongside my MA Dev Psych here in my home country.

Do you guys think that the concentration Human Development, Learning and Teaching is a pretty good option considering my background?

Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, eia said:

Hi, just butting in here, but I would like to ask if what's the GRE score needed to have a shot at acceptance? I'm a prospective student by 2024 (I know pretty far ahead), and I'm from the Philippines. My dream program is the HGSE PhD (HDLT concentration). Currently, I am a Special Education teacher alongside my MA Dev Psych here in my home country.

Do you guys think that the concentration Human Development, Learning and Teaching is a pretty good option considering my background?

Thank you. 

Hi @eia

HGSE posts some of this information on their website. Not sure if you saw it there or not. The most recent stats can be found here:

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/who-studies-hgse

I'll try and connect with a current Ph.D. student to find out more if you'd like (I'm in the M.Ed. program). Just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HiEdHopeful said:

Hi @eia

HGSE posts some of this information on their website. Not sure if you saw it there or not. The most recent stats can be found here:

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/who-studies-hgse

I'll try and connect with a current Ph.D. student to find out more if you'd like (I'm in the M.Ed. program). Just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck!

That would be helpful, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2021 at 12:40 PM, eia said:

That would be helpful, thank you.

 

On 11/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, HiEdHopeful said:

Will do! I'll share anything I find out with everyone here.

Good luck to everyone as you apply! Rooting for each and every one of you!

Hey @eia...a couple of Ph.D. students that are Teaching Fellows are willing to see if a few of the other Ph.D. students are willing to share their GRE scores with me. I'm hoping to hear back from them all in a few days. Stay tuned....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Sending good vibes to everyone as folks are submitting applications in the next few days/weeks! 

Just finished up the first semester here at HGSE. Such an incredible experience! So far I am really happy with my decision to come to HGSE. Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure about coming, especially since I was applying to mostly doctoral programs this past application cycle. In the end I am glad I did, and looking forward to J-term and Spring Semester.

Cheering for each and every one of you here in Grad Café as you apply! DM me or message here if you think I can help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, HiEdHopeful said:

 

Hey @eia...a couple of Ph.D. students that are Teaching Fellows are willing to see if a few of the other Ph.D. students are willing to share their GRE scores with me. I'm hoping to hear back from them all in a few days. Stay tuned....

Hey @eia. Sorry for the lag getting back to you. Finals happened! The Teaching Fellow got back with me and said that the few classmates they talked with said their GRE scores were around the average on the website. Some were a bit lower, some were a bit higher. Let me know if you'd like me to ask them any other questions. Good luck! 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, my name is Ivan Valdovinos and I am an alumni of HGSE class of 2016 (Education Policy and Management Program). Last year, I started a YouTube Channel where I shared my SOP, resume, letters of recommendations, GRE scores and everything else about the application that got me into HGSE. I also recently interviewed a current HGSE international student on my channel. Below is the link to the channel. If you have any questions, please comment on my videos or reach out to me on LinkedIn. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/c/IvanValdovinosGradSchool 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I attended today's Admissions office hours for Ed.M applicants and thought I'd post some of the questions/answers (paraphrased) that I remember:

  1. I can't get in touch with one of my recommenders and they haven't started their recommendation yet. What will happen if it's late?
    1. Should be ok if it's late, but needs to be in ASAP
  2. One of my recommenders can no longer complete a recommendation. Will I be penalized?
    1. Contact the office to see if switching out the recommender is a possibility
  3. I am reapplying this year and have all new recommendations. Will all six recommendations be read or just the new three?
    1. Just the new three
  4. I am reapplying this year, how many new recommendations do I need?
    1. Just one
  5. I started the application but will not submit it this year. Can my recommendations roll over to next year if they've been submitted?
    1. No, you will need new ones
  6. I have a new job but haven't started yet. Can I still put it on my resume?
    1. Yes, just indicate it starts in the future
  7. Can I attach my recent academic publication to my application?
    1. Yes, either with your resume or under the "Additional Information" section, whichever makes the most sense
  8. Do I need to add citations to my SoP if I reference something/someone?
    1. Yes - footnotes, reference section etc. ok. Any citation style (as long as it's consistent) is ok
  9. Can I cite myself?
    1. Yes
  10. How many citations do I need?
    1. Only ones that are necessary. This is not a research paper, it is a statement of purpose and there is no need to refer to research
  11. I am in the process of getting a green card but do not have it yet. Do I need to check that I need Visa sponsorship?
    1. Yes. If the status changes notify the admissions office ASAP
  12. If I submit the application but don't pay by the deadline, will my application still be read?
    1. Contact the admissions office ASAP if you cannot make the payment
  13. I am from a country that is not eligible for fee waivers, and I cannot make the payment
    1. Contact the admissions office ASAP if you cannot make the payment
  14. If I have a new accomplishment after I submit the application and I email the admissions office details, will the new information be included in my application?
    1. Cannot guarantee any information received after the application is submitted will be considered
  15. Can my SoP be longer than 1500 words?
    1. Be as close to 1500 words as possible 
  16. Is the deadline in eastern time?
    1. Yes
  17. What is the LDIT capstone?
    1. None of the Ed.M degrees have a capstone/thesis; classes have finals
  18. I ordered official transcripts but they won't arrive on time. Is that ok?
    1. Unofficial transcripts are ok

 

Hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McPerson said:

I attended today's Admissions office hours for Ed.M applicants and thought I'd post some of the questions/answers (paraphrased) that I remember:

  1. I can't get in touch with one of my recommenders and they haven't started their recommendation yet. What will happen if it's late?
    1. Should be ok if it's late, but needs to be in ASAP
  2. One of my recommenders can no longer complete a recommendation. Will I be penalized?
    1. Contact the office to see if switching out the recommender is a possibility
  3. I am reapplying this year and have all new recommendations. Will all six recommendations be read or just the new three?
    1. Just the new three
  4. I am reapplying this year, how many new recommendations do I need?
    1. Just one
  5. I started the application but will not submit it this year. Can my recommendations roll over to next year if they've been submitted?
    1. No, you will need new ones
  6. I have a new job but haven't started yet. Can I still put it on my resume?
    1. Yes, just indicate it starts in the future
  7. Can I attach my recent academic publication to my application?
    1. Yes, either with your resume or under the "Additional Information" section, whichever makes the most sense
  8. Do I need to add citations to my SoP if I reference something/someone?
    1. Yes - footnotes, reference section etc. ok. Any citation style (as long as it's consistent) is ok
  9. Can I cite myself?
    1. Yes
  10. How many citations do I need?
    1. Only ones that are necessary. This is not a research paper, it is a statement of purpose and there is no need to refer to research
  11. I am in the process of getting a green card but do not have it yet. Do I need to check that I need Visa sponsorship?
    1. Yes. If the status changes notify the admissions office ASAP
  12. If I submit the application but don't pay by the deadline, will my application still be read?
    1. Contact the admissions office ASAP if you cannot make the payment
  13. I am from a country that is not eligible for fee waivers, and I cannot make the payment
    1. Contact the admissions office ASAP if you cannot make the payment
  14. If I have a new accomplishment after I submit the application and I email the admissions office details, will the new information be included in my application?
    1. Cannot guarantee any information received after the application is submitted will be considered
  15. Can my SoP be longer than 1500 words?
    1. Be as close to 1500 words as possible 
  16. Is the deadline in eastern time?
    1. Yes
  17. What is the LDIT capstone?
    1. None of the Ed.M degrees have a capstone/thesis; classes have finals
  18. I ordered official transcripts but they won't arrive on time. Is that ok?
    1. Unofficial transcripts are ok

 

Hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Thank you for this! Submitted my app early last week and was worried I’d find out I did something wrong. Phew. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, last minute question before the submission deadline today! For the section that says, "Have you encountered any personal challenges or obstacles that the admissions committee should take into account as part of your application? If yes, please explain." and allows us to upload a file, what is the purpose of this?

I have written a 150 word "diversity statement" that shares challenging factors of my background, such as life experiences, culture, race and ethnicity. The goal would to describe how I would contribute to the diversity (broadly defined) of the entering class

Is this useful to upload? Any other suggestions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dreamingworkaholic said:

Hi everyone, last minute question before the submission deadline today! For the section that says, "Have you encountered any personal challenges or obstacles that the admissions committee should take into account as part of your application? If yes, please explain." and allows us to upload a file, what is the purpose of this?

I have written a 150 word "diversity statement" that shares challenging factors of my background, such as life experiences, culture, race and ethnicity. The goal would to describe how I would contribute to the diversity (broadly defined) of the entering class

Is this useful to upload? Any other suggestions?

I'm not an admissions rep but the vibe I keep getting from them is that if you think it'll help your application then add it. You can also email them to ask if you want to be 100% certain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

I'm not applying, but my significant other is. 

Are they absolutely strict about the cut-off for IELTS scores?

The wording seems a little ambiguous. 

They said they want a 7.5, with a preference for at least 7.5 on each section. 

My SO received 7.5 overall, with 7.5 on each section other than writing, where she got a 6.5. Is that going to automatically disqualify her? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2022 at 1:46 PM, potentialphddropout said:

Hello friends,

I'm not applying, but my significant other is. 

Are they absolutely strict about the cut-off for IELTS scores?

The wording seems a little ambiguous. 

They said they want a 7.5, with a preference for at least 7.5 on each section. 

My SO received 7.5 overall, with 7.5 on each section other than writing, where she got a 6.5. Is that going to automatically disqualify her? 

Same here. They said in webinar that they prefer 7.0 above in each section, but they also emphasize it's a holistic review. We can surely deduce this trivial factor matters really little.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, PhD2Be2020 said:

Sending good vibes to everyone as folks are submitting applications in the next few days/weeks! 

Just finished up the first semester here at HGSE. Such an incredible experience! So far I am really happy with my decision to come to HGSE. Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure about coming, especially since I was applying to mostly doctoral programs this past application cycle. In the end I am glad I did, and looking forward to J-term and Spring Semester.

Cheering for each and every one of you here in Grad Café as you apply! DM me or message here if you think I can help.

Hi, there. I'm wondering what percentage of phd applicants have published papers, according to your best acknowledgement? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2021 at 9:02 AM, EverythingAHH said:

Hey everyone. I hope you all are doing well with this year's app season. Anyone else out there applying for the CIS PhD program?

  • Program: CIS PhD
  • GRE Score: V170, Q163, AWA: 5.0 
  • GPA: 3.8 undergrad / 3.9 master's
  • LORs: probably ok-ish. Former boss, master's advisor, research advisor
  • Work Experience: 7 years teaching with some leadership stuff thrown in.
  • Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): top US public undergrad, top US private master's
  • Research Experience: 1 project, a few months long, no pubs
  • What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn, Stanford, Vandy, and a few others

Just starting to get anxious already because it all feels a bit like a lottery... How are you all getting through?

Hello, competitor(LOL).

What Impressive stats you got there! I have GRE score 10 points lower than yours and a 2.4 GPA, if that ease your anxiety. Anyway, I'm curious how you get a 170 in Verbal? I'm on my knees! If you did not mistake V as Q, I would confidently conclude that you're not an international student.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.