Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello & Welcome!

This thread is for anyone looking for information on the Doctorate in Social Work (DSW) Degree and/or those looking for support and insight into the application process! 

Below, you will see comments with information related to:

·      Why a DSW?

·       Current Programs

·       Current news on accreditation, etc.
 

Please note, the users here do not represent any universities or programs and their opinions and insights are their own. This space is meant for support and insight.  Please feel free to add any information you have found helpful!

Best of luck!

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW
Link to post
Share on other sites

HELPFUL CSWE POWERPOINT:

https://www.cswe.org/Accreditation/Information/Feedback-for-Practice-Doctorate-Program/Practice-Doctorate-Information-Presentation-Jan-20.aspx

***

Via GADE, the Group for the Advancement of Doctoral Education in Social Work:

Is a DSW Right for You?

The foci and curricula for DSW programs vary from school to school but programs often emphasize advanced clinical or macro training for practicing social workers.

If you are looking for a program where the curriculum emphasizes advanced clinical or macro training for practicing social workers and does not have as strong of emphasis on research as most PhD programs, then the answer is likely yes.

What Kinds of Careers do People with DSWs Have?

Graduates of DSW programs are assuming leadership positions in community agencies and serving as advanced clinicians in clinical settings. Some graduates take teaching positions in academic settings.

READ MORE: https://www.gadephd.org/Prospective-Applicants/Why-a-PhD-or-DSW

 ***

Council on Social Work Education:

The Doctorate in Social Work (DSW) Degree:   Emergence of a New Practice Doctorate  

Report of the Task Force on the DSW Degree Convened by the Social Work Leadership Forum

READ MORE: https://www.cswe.org/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=547ebf4d-de0b-4f6b-b106-01309778e42f

***

Social Work Today

Evolving Education: The DSW and PhD Degrees — Goals and Choices

READ MORE: https://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/MA18p8.shtml

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW
Link to post
Share on other sites

Which DSW programs are out there?

GADE has a guide to schools/programs that are current members. Info includes; program emphasis, full or part time, online, hybrid, or in person, GRE required, and more!

Please visit the link here: https://sites.google.com/umn.edu/gade-guide/dsw-programs?authuser=0

On the top right-hand side of their site, you will see a drop down menu for DSW programs:

·       Aurora University

·       Barry University

·       Florida Atlantic University

·       Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

·       Loma Linda University

·       Millersville University of Pennsylvania

·       New York University

·       Rutgers University

·       Southern Connecticut State University

·       University of St. Thomas

·       Tulane University

·       University at Buffalo (SUNY)

·       University of Pennsylvania

·       University of Southern California

·       University of Tennessee

·       Walden University

 

Please note, this ^ list ^ is not exhaustive and new programs are launching!

Additional programs:

·       University of Alabama:  https://socialwork.ua.edu/dsw/

·       University of Kentucky:  https://www.uky.edu/academics/doctoral/social-work-dsw-online

·       Simmons: https://online.simmons.edu/doctorate/dsw/?_ga=2.153393471.627973394.1628623231-319568234.1628623231

 

Please feel free to add/link additional DSW programs you know of!

Edited by DSWstudentTSSW
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SWagain said:

Thank you for making this thread! I’m preparing for round 2 of applications and I’m happy to have a space of other folks applying this cycle too!

Hi! How are you doing? Do you have a short list of programs you're thinking of? ❤️

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Hi! How are you doing? Do you have a short list of programs you're thinking of? ❤️

I keep forgetting about the name switch (lol)—hi!! 🤗 And the list is generating. I’m going back for Bama for sure. Planning to add two more into the mix. Trying to figure out how I should change my SOP if everything still stands six months later lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SWagain said:

I keep forgetting about the name switch (lol)—hi!! 🤗 And the list is generating. I’m going back for Bama for sure. Planning to add two more into the mix. Trying to figure out how I should change my SOP if everything still stands six months later lol. 

Did Bama ever provide feedback?  I feel like no one got into Bama last cycle. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a wonderful Fall semester everyone!! Especially those starting this fall or spring and have a last few days/months to go 🙂  

 

*I can’t believe I’m already reading for class again, also can’t believe how much of the road is behind me already! 🤯

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to find something useful to say on here... I haven't thought of anything. But I'm super curious when the next waive of people show up to get info and support and where they will apply for admission! And how many people will come back and keep in touch from last year!!

Where are you laster year'ers?

Hi new folks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Hi all. Wow! I am so happy to have found this thread because I felt like I scoured the internet and DSW info was slim. 

I haven't applied yet, still trying to figure out if a PhD or DSW is the way to go. I live in Oregon so I'm looking at Portland State University's PhD program and also pretty much all of the DSW programs out there (except USC. I really want to try for that program but I just can't afford it!). I have been a social worker for over a decade but I have not done any dedicated clinical work with clients. I've done direct service such as Child Welfare work and community mental health case management, etc. but no therapy. Does anyone have any intel on whether or not this is going to be a black mark on my application? I had a 4.0 for my Master's, a wide variety or work experience, well, except for therapy, and strong references. I ultimately want to study environmental justice and its intersection with social work as well as gain leadership and research experience in the environmental justice field.

If this is too broad of a question, that's okay. I'm just happy to have found this thread!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome! 

I do not have no solid information for you on the potential black mark against you. I would say that given your desired focus being outside of the clinical side of things and your openness to all DSW programs (except USC-I say apply to USC anyhow and just find out, I can say for sure they don't need you to be clinical, and they do a lot of leadership and program development within the curriculum ✌️) I would think as long as you keep focused on programs aligning with your goals it won't be a black mark against you. UPenn will probably care, I'll let someone else say that for sure... but their program doesn't sound like it will align with your goals anyhow. 

 

Total side note, did anyone know that this -> ✌️ is called "victory hand"? who did USC pay off to have this called victory hand???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2021 at 6:47 PM, fawndue said:

Hi all. Wow! I am so happy to have found this thread because I felt like I scoured the internet and DSW info was slim. 

I haven't applied yet, still trying to figure out if a PhD or DSW is the way to go. I live in Oregon so I'm looking at Portland State University's PhD program and also pretty much all of the DSW programs out there (except USC. I really want to try for that program but I just can't afford it!). I have been a social worker for over a decade but I have not done any dedicated clinical work with clients. I've done direct service such as Child Welfare work and community mental health case management, etc. but no therapy. Does anyone have any intel on whether or not this is going to be a black mark on my application? I had a 4.0 for my Master's, a wide variety or work experience, well, except for therapy, and strong references. I ultimately want to study environmental justice and its intersection with social work as well as gain leadership and research experience in the environmental justice field.

If this is too broad of a question, that's okay. I'm just happy to have found this thread!

And this forum normally gets a lot more traffic starting in the next few weeks as people scramble to apply, so any questions you have will more and faster attention.

Good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2021 at 5:47 PM, fawndue said:

Hi all. Wow! I am so happy to have found this thread because I felt like I scoured the internet and DSW info was slim. 

I haven't applied yet, still trying to figure out if a PhD or DSW is the way to go. I live in Oregon so I'm looking at Portland State University's PhD program and also pretty much all of the DSW programs out there (except USC. I really want to try for that program but I just can't afford it!). I have been a social worker for over a decade but I have not done any dedicated clinical work with clients. I've done direct service such as Child Welfare work and community mental health case management, etc. but no therapy. Does anyone have any intel on whether or not this is going to be a black mark on my application? I had a 4.0 for my Master's, a wide variety or work experience, well, except for therapy, and strong references. I ultimately want to study environmental justice and its intersection with social work as well as gain leadership and research experience in the environmental justice field.

If this is too broad of a question, that's okay. I'm just happy to have found this thread!

Hi! Sorry it’s been a busy fall! 
It wouldn’t necessarily count against you unless you were to apply to a very clinical program (e.g. Penn). I believe the clinical-focused programs tend to require the equivalent of an LCSW/LICSW .

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, DSWstudentTSSW said:

Hi! Sorry it’s been a busy fall! 
It wouldn’t necessarily count against you unless you were to apply to a very clinical program (e.g. Penn). I believe the clinical-focused programs tend to require the equivalent of an LCSW/LICSW .

Did you start or are you starting in January? I'm not sure what question to ask, how was your first semester or excited for your first semester?!?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 8:43 PM, EJM said:

Did you start or are you starting in January? I'm not sure what question to ask, how was your first semester or excited for your first semester?!?!

I start in January! Had an incredibly busy fall - wrapping up a few thing this week and going to try and enjoy the break before it all starts again! How are you? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm good! That's so exciting you will be starting soon!! 

I hope you do get to fully enjoy and take advantage of the break, I'm working on the same thing. I have a small variety of things to get done and then I'm going to take it as R&R and building new routines for the spring so hopefully I don't loose track of running and getting outside as much as I did this past fall. 

On 12/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, DSWstudentTSSW said:

I start in January! Had an incredibly busy fall - wrapping up a few thing this week and going to try and enjoy the break before it all starts again! How are you? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting article: 

Is the DSW Degree a Good Fit for You?

“DSWs and PhDs are both social workers with different skill sets. Choosing which route to take depends on your goals. DSWs are advanced practitioners who are scholar-practitioners. The CSWE (2020) further explains that “social work practice doctorates prepare graduates to advance practice at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels as well as in higher education and/or professional leadership” (p. 1). DSWs use and build on our professional experience to bridge theory and practice for the advancement of social work practice. DSWs apply research to practice. We explore and develop practice-based solutions to complex issues to expand and advance the knowledge base of social work from a practice-based lens. PhDs are researchers who conduct original research and data analysis to address complex issues to expand and advance the knowledge base of our profession. Both doctoral level degrees are needed for the advancement of social work and to advance just social change in our communities.”

 

https://www.socialworker.com/api/content/99ae3762-1d68-11ec-89ad-1244d5f7c7c6/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can' t believe that we are starting up again. Have a great spring everyone!

(I have 6 in of snow on the ground, saying spring seems really silly right now 😂)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.