Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Has anyone started applying for their visa yet? I'm looking at the requirements for mine and already so confused - we required to have housing already in place for the entire time I'm there in order to get the visa, but I'm sooo not comfortable signing a contract on an apartment sight un-seen, roommates un-met (plus I'm moving cities after 6 months, so finding housing for April of 2012 seems so ridiculous!).

What are you guys up against??

The migration board claims that processing times for student visas are minimal, as in a month tops. I've officially been waiting for two months, and my visa still has not been processed. I sent it in with more than enough time for processing; but even so, if my visa isn't processed by the time I leave in the end of August, I will have to reapply when I get there, and not to mention repay the $350 application fee. And they have my passport hostage.

So I am also not exactly enjoying the process. :/

I had completely, totally written it off, but I got the promotion email from Rachel this afternoon. Going to Turkey as an ETA.

For the spreadsheet:

Notified: Alternate on 6/10, via email

Turned Principal 7/25, via email

Just found out....I'm going to Turkey as an ETA!

I'm not sure if anyone's discussed, it but what are people bringing in terms of computers (regardless of country)? I need a new one and would love recommendations!

Also for the spreadsheet:

Notified alternate: 6/10 (via email)

Principal: email yesterday at 6:20pm

DDRA Migrant...kinda

I am one of the DDRA applicants. I discovered after its cancellation in May that (1) I was a finalist and (2) I was being considered for the Mellon/IIE grant that was created for qualified DDRA'ers.

Last week, I got full funding from Fulbright IIE - me and about 99 other people. However, everything about this is really vague. I've accepted, but I'm still not sure what the procedures are from this point forward (or details). I'm a DDRA'er? An IIE'er? Not sure...

Anyone else in this boat?

I just got off the phone with Jonathan Akeley and found out I got off the waitlist for New Zealand! Apparently the state department found more money which is totally shocking to me considering the state of the U.S. budget. I am very excited and confused, since I had given up and had moved on to other plans for the future. So I guess don't give up hope as there are definitely other east asian applicants who will be in the same boat as me.

Hey guys,

I'm applying for the next cycle and had a quick question for the full grant, at-large applicants -- did you have to do an interview/language assessment? From what I've read on the website it sounds like that's only required for those applying through their alma mater/still in college.

Thanks a ton.

The migration board claims that processing times for student visas are minimal, as in a month tops. I've officially been waiting for two months, and my visa still has not been processed. I sent it in with more than enough time for processing; but even so, if my visa isn't processed by the time I leave in the end of August, I will have to reapply when I get there, and not to mention repay the $350 application fee. And they have my passport hostage.

So I am also not exactly enjoying the process. :/

wow for some reason my email notifications to this board got turned off, I thought everyone here was quiet as of late!

I just dropped my visa off to the consulate last week, it's going to take a month before I can pick it up. I nearly had a panic attack as they were turning the people ahead of me in line away for not having the documents in the right order and not having the correct copies, but for some reason the person helping me was really nice and even made one of the copies for me. phew!

Nejire, what consulate did you go to (as in what city)?

Hey guys,

I'm applying for the next cycle and had a quick question for the full grant, at-large applicants -- did you have to do an interview/language assessment? From what I've read on the website it sounds like that's only required for those applying through their alma mater/still in college.

Thanks a ton.

I was an at-large applicant, but I submitted my application via my alma mater, so I'm technically considered a student applicant (even though I graduated years ago). I did this mostly because of the interview - I wanted to interview because I felt I could make a strong case for my project face-to-face with someone, and knew that if you do well in the interview it could potentially give you a little boost. It won't hurt to not do the interview, but if you do well, it's sort of like a few extra credit points as far as I can tell.

As for the language assessment, that depends on the country you are applying for. I think they just want to see that your language skills are good enough to match the scope of your project and that someone is willing to vouch for your abilities. There were some cases this year where people had to do a phone or skype interview in the language to show that they were proficient enough, but that's different than the on-campus interview. Hope that helps!

oh, and yes, the CEO was totally joking!

wow for some reason my email notifications to this board got turned off, I thought everyone here was quiet as of late!

I just dropped my visa off to the consulate last week, it's going to take a month before I can pick it up. I nearly had a panic attack as they were turning the people ahead of me in line away for not having the documents in the right order and not having the correct copies, but for some reason the person helping me was really nice and even made one of the copies for me. phew!

Nejire, what consulate did you go to (as in what city)?

I applied through NYC, which is the only option I get.

I am glad to say, however, I have a shiny new residence permit in my possession now! It only took 2.5x longer than the migration board said it would. So things are starting to shape up!

I got a fulbright for graduate research for this upcoming year and have a question that isn't answered in the info they've sent me so far. The problem is that the archives I need to work in and the university with which I'll be affiliated are in different cities (same country and both specified in my project proposal). It would be easier and more productive to live near the archives and commute periodically to the university, but it's not clear whether being affiliated with a university requires that I live in the same city. Because I'm ABD I won't be taking classes (and thus won't need to be there every day), though I will be participating in events organized by a specific group of scholars working at the university. Has anyone encountered a similar situation or know whether there are additional guidelines beyond the short recommendations about finding housing abroad? I assume that we're fully responsible for our own projects and itineraries and can make decisions about our living arrangements according to the demands of our research. But I also want to be sure.

I got a fulbright for graduate research for this upcoming year and have a question that isn't answered in the info they've sent me so far. The problem is that the archives I need to work in and the university with which I'll be affiliated are in different cities (same country and both specified in my project proposal). It would be easier and more productive to live near the archives and commute periodically to the university, but it's not clear whether being affiliated with a university requires that I live in the same city. Because I'm ABD I won't be taking classes (and thus won't need to be there every day), though I will be participating in events organized by a specific group of scholars working at the university. Has anyone encountered a similar situation or know whether there are additional guidelines beyond the short recommendations about finding housing abroad? I assume that we're fully responsible for our own projects and itineraries and can make decisions about our living arrangements according to the demands of our research. But I also want to be sure.

Hey, I don't think that should be a problem. I am not a Fellow (yet... I am an applicant for this cycle). When seeking out affiliates my University told me it would be ok if my affiliate and I were not in the same city... there are other methods of communication that can make the long distance thing work.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently putting my application together to do research in Ghana next year under the fulbright program.

My question is - do you think people reading the applications do google searches on the applicants?

I'm concerned that the committee in Ghana (a highly Christian and homophobic country - one of the regional ministers literally just instructed police to round up the gays) will see lots of media reports about my lgbt activism and decide not to accept me...

The host country does review the application, right?

It occurred to me as some of us are packing, planning, and preparing for our respective countries pretty soon, it would be nice to keep in touch or follow each others experiences.

Does anyone else have a blog? I started one recently: www.adrienneharding.com. I would also be interested in following others experiences, especially if you are in Europe.

Best wishes to everyone!

I was an at-large applicant, but I submitted my application via my alma mater, so I'm technically considered a student applicant (even though I graduated years ago). I did this mostly because of the interview - I wanted to interview because I felt I could make a strong case for my project face-to-face with someone, and knew that if you do well in the interview it could potentially give you a little boost. It won't hurt to not do the interview, but if you do well, it's sort of like a few extra credit points as far as I can tell.

As for the language assessment, that depends on the country you are applying for. I think they just want to see that your language skills are good enough to match the scope of your project and that someone is willing to vouch for your abilities. There were some cases this year where people had to do a phone or skype interview in the language to show that they were proficient enough, but that's different than the on-campus interview. Hope that helps!

oh, and yes, the CEO was totally joking!

Westcoasttoast,

So sorry it's taken me this long -- I wanted to thank you for your thoughts. It was definitely helpful to hear about another's experience. Also glad that he was joking! I was thinking "wow, that's so mean!" haah

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone from this forum who received a grant or was an alternate use HEADERS in their proposal/personal statement documents? I know that the instructions say not to use them, but when I upload my documents with headers and then preview them there are no glitches with the documents. anyone? im in a really tight spot with my proposal if headers are a major problem. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello! So it has been a while since I've posted here. I originally applied for a Fulbright ETA to South Korea and was rejected in the final round. So I decided to pack off on my own to Korea to teach in a public school. However, I've now received an email asking if I want to accept an ETA in Malaysia starting in Jan for the rest of the year. My mind is kind of reeling because I just got settled here, but I'd love to get in contact with any Malaysia ETAs to get some insight before I make my decision.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good luck to everybody on your quest for a Fulbright! We've posted some tips here and here on how to put together a strong application. Also, having options is always good. Many of the Fulbright programs are under tighter budget constraints this year. You can read a bit more about that here.

Cheers,

Ryan

Dear Ryan,

You might note that this thread was from the last application season, and many of us who posted are currently 2/3 through our term as Fulbright fellows. Nice try with the spam, though!

Cheers,

Runaway