American Studies Fall 2022

15 hours ago, jpbends said:

Speak of the devil!

I just got an email from the DGS at UCSD Ethnic Studies saying I got in! I'm crying at work!

Congrats on the great news, unfortunately I haven't heard anything yet. Do you know if they send out all the decisions so far?

13 hours ago, PhoenixWrong said:

Yeah me too. It isnt always the easiest task though. Hopefully as @TheLastCastelian said it is all over sooner rather than later.

Thanks and the same for you and everyone else who applied ❤️

Got a rejection from Yale. Not too surprised. Gonna get my masters and try again in two years. Best of luck to everyone!

5 hours ago, GradforGrad said:

Just found out about this thread - although been chatting with @joshualuo7 on the result's board every now and then. 

Just saw 2 NYU rejections on the board from yesterday. Still waiting to hear from them. 

Huh I have not heard anything from NYU yet, although I was still not expecting anything due to not being interviewed earlier last month. 

Edited by joshualuo7

Just now, joshualuo7 said:

Huh I have not heard anything from NYU yet, although I was still not expecting anything due to not being interviewed earlier last month. 

Same. But I also wish they kinda recommend my application to their MA. I already have a PhD in History from Brazil, and I guess a master would fit for what I wanna do. 

23 minutes ago, GradforGrad said:

Same. But I also wish they kinda recommend my application to their MA. I already have a PhD in History from Brazil, and I guess a master would fit for what I wanna do. 

idk about the MA tho consider they are notoriously expensive and offer little to no funding. Consider you already had a PhD, I highly doubt its gonna increase your chance. 

5 hours ago, jpbends said:

If you already have a History PhD, I doubt doing an American Studies or Cultural Studies MA is going to make you much more competitive. MAs are typically geared towards preparing students for PhD programs (at least in the humanities), and if you've already completed a PhD it might not necessarily aid as much as you think it does.

May I ask why you're interested in completing a second PhD?

I'm pivoting from History to Literature and Media Studies (with emphasis on Queer Studies). There's a lot of things in the cultural studies spectrum that I was never exposed doing my studies in Brazil - and some, if not most of them, are very specific from American academy. So the main reason why I want to complete a second PhD is because I need training in an area I want to pursue and was not available (still isn't) when I was in college and grad school in Brazil). 

On top of that - applying for a teaching position job with non-American credentials are really hard, no matter how good your work is. I published my Masters and PhD in book format. Have more than five peer-reviewed articles published. Have teaching experience for undergrads (and middle school in the US). 

Also - when I look at History departments in the US I don't see myself in them. The kind of work I used to do in History departments in Brazil is closer to what some people do in other departments in the US, none of them History departments. 

I also want to explore alternative careers outside of academia - that's why I think a Master would suffice. In the end, it's all about the network and connections we make .

I've been doing the work independently, reading, researching, trying to write, etc. But without a community to back you up and give you feedback is not only lonely, is also not that productive. 

This all might sound bs, or whatever, but I really believe that it would make a difference for what I wanna do. 

Just now, jpbends said:

Hawaii would, if the funding was there, be an amazing place to continue my work. Would I say it's my top choice? Probably not. I'd be happy with any of the three remaining programs at Michigan, UCSD, or UHM. Mostly I just want to know for peace of mind, and to see what the funding situation looks like for myself because I've heard horror stories over the last several years.

Got it. Peace of mind you actually need while doing the PhD. In this case, funding is everything.

Michigan seems to be a great program. I know some folks from there.

Not too familiar with the program at UCSD, but again, I'm just starting to get familiar with Ethnic Studies. 

Hi all,

Anyone else hear back from NYU if you applied? I saw two rejections, but still haven't seen anything else. Tbh, I am completely frustrated and kind of hurt by the faculty. I had an interview and was completely ghosted by the DGS as well as the grad coordinator when I asked about my status. No updates in portal. It is so frustrating because I know them all by name and they have a face to my application. Is it so hard to send out an automated rejection??? I was thinking they're either sending more rejections all at once April 1, or perhaps lumping me into a Masters program. IDK but I am so sad ;/ but it is what it is I guess. 

7 hours ago, amstudies401 said:

Hi all,

Anyone else hear back from NYU if you applied? I saw two rejections, but still haven't seen anything else. Tbh, I am completely frustrated and kind of hurt by the faculty. I had an interview and was completely ghosted by the DGS as well as the grad coordinator when I asked about my status. No updates in portal. It is so frustrating because I know them all by name and they have a face to my application. Is it so hard to send out an automated rejection??? I was thinking they're either sending more rejections all at once April 1, or perhaps lumping me into a Masters program. IDK but I am so sad ;/ but it is what it is I guess. 

Speak of the devil, I was just rejected from NYU American Studies. No deferral admission to their scam MA either.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 9:05 PM, commphdhopeful said:

what the heck happened to GW AMst??? Grad cafe says they admitted someone ?? i havent heard a peep

Hello!! I didn't post on gradcafe but I was one of the admits. Idk why they took so long