Unix Shell pipelines that use structured data like CSV, JSON, etc

We know that you can have a REPL that has a full on type system (Powershell) but what about enhancing Unix shells by outputting stoud into a structured format, so that at least you have value pairs instead of scraping giant strings.

The example that got me thinking was when someone used a CSV output of a command, just to import it and use one field.

I’m not PL theorist, so I don’t know if it’s feasible, but basically this would entail every CLI program having one format as a common denominator.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:22 AM, lucasPeni said:

We know that you can have a REPL that has a full on type system (Powershell) but what about enhancing Unix shells by outputting stoud into a structured format, so that at least you have value pairs instead of scraping giant strings.  showbox

The example that got me thinking was when someone used a CSV output of a command, just to import it and use one field.  speed test

I’m not PL theorist, so I don’t know if it’s feasible, but basically this would entail every CLI program having one format as a common denominator.

issue got solved