Ethnic Studies Fall 2022

jpbends

I saw an American Studies post but didn't see anything about Ethnic Studies, which I think constitutes a slightly different discipline. I've submitted applications to UCSD and UC Berkeley for Ethnic Studies, intending to focus on the Philippines and Filipino America. Specifically, I look at the evolution of Philippine folklore and mythology and the ways it intersects with Philippine experiences of colonialism.

Where's everyone else applying?

• 5 weeks later...

Circling back to see if anybody has heard anything from any Ethnic Studies programs? I know I shouldn't be waiting to hear until mid-January at the earliest, but I'm just a whole ball of anxiety right now!

7 hours ago, jpbends said:

Circling back to see if anybody has heard anything from any Ethnic Studies programs? I know I shouldn't be waiting to hear until mid-January at the earliest, but I'm just a whole ball of anxiety right now!

Haven't heard anything at all so far either here

Edited by joshualuo7

• 2 weeks later...

We're less than two weeks out from Berkeley decisions, if they're following the release days from previous years!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to whoever got into Berkeley! Anyone want to claim? I was rejected, unfortunately. I'm not too pressed about it because Berkeley was one of my reach/satellite schools rather than one of the programs I was especially invested in, but a rejection always hurts.

8 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Congratulations to whoever got into Berkeley! Anyone want to claim? I was rejected, unfortunately. I'm not too pressed about it because Berkeley was one of my reach/satellite schools rather than one of the programs I was especially invested in, but a rejection always hurts.

Also took an L on this one unfortunately. Research interests aren't quite the match but seeing just an super generic letter still felt pretty bad

Edited by joshualuo7

5 hours ago, jpbends said:

Thank you, I was the acceptance! I pretty much had all my eggs in the Berkeley basket and fortunately I was a really good fit. I hope you both hear good news soon!

1 hour ago, jnh said:

Thank you, I was the acceptance! I pretty much had all my eggs in the Berkeley basket and fortunately I was a really good fit. I hope you both hear good news soon!

Big congratulations! What's your field, if you don't mind me asking?

5 hours ago, jnh said:

Congrats! Did you contact faculty beforehand? Btw I also saw your comments under the USC American Studies & Ethnicity acceptance, have you heard back anything from that program?

4 hours ago, joshualuo7 said:

Congrats! Did you contact faculty beforehand? Btw I also saw your comments under the USC American Studies & Ethnicity acceptance, have you heard back anything from that program?

Thank you! We exchanged brief emails, but I was really lucky to have a strong connection to my POI through one of my supervisors. I have not heard back from USC yet.

7 hours ago, jpbends said:

Big congratulations! What's your field, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you! Sociology, religion, and Asian America. Focused on residential migration and assimilation.

Edited by jnh

1 hour ago, jt21 said:

Hey y'all, thought I'd chime in. Applied to ETHS/AMST programs this year.

Also took the L on Berkeley lol. Anyone hear back from anywhere else?

Nope unfortunately, seems like this year school are going to release results much later than usual, or they are all only admitting tiny cohorts. hope for the first option tho 

3 hours ago, joshualuo7 said:

Nope unfortunately, seems like this year school are going to release results much later than usual, or they are all only admitting tiny cohorts. hope for the first option tho 

Yeah I hope you’re right! 🥲 The waiting game has been so hard. I heard GW AMST only accepted 3 people this year.

7 hours ago, jt21 said:

Hey y'all, thought I'd chime in. Applied to ETHS/AMST programs this year.

Also took the L on Berkeley lol. Anyone hear back from anywhere else?

Welcome! This is my third application cycle (once out of undergrad, once after a gap year, and now once after finishing my MA), so I've kind of learned to just... let things happen. Took the L on Berkeley and am patiently waiting for Michigan, then UCSD, then Hawaii.

1 hour ago, jpbends said:

Welcome! This is my third application cycle (once out of undergrad, once after a gap year, and now once after finishing my MA), so I've kind of learned to just... let things happen. Took the L on Berkeley and am patiently waiting for Michigan, then UCSD, then Hawaii.

Thanks! That's great advice. I also applied to Michigan and UCSD. Hopefully we'll hear good news soon. Your list of schools looks pretty solid - which one is your top (only if you're comfy sharing)? Tbh, Berkeley was one of my top, but oh well life goes on haha.

13 hours ago, jt21 said:

Thanks! That's great advice. I also applied to Michigan and UCSD. Hopefully we'll hear good news soon. Your list of schools looks pretty solid - which one is your top (only if you're comfy sharing)? Tbh, Berkeley was one of my top, but oh well life goes on haha.

Michigan American Culture was my top program, which I unfortunately got the rejection from this morning. After that it’s likely UCSD then UHM, both of which seem like great fits for my field.

39 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Michigan American Culture was my top program, which I unfortunately got the rejection from this morning. After that it’s likely UCSD then UHM, both of which seem like great fits for my field.

Sorry to hear about that, I took the L as well although my interest really don't match as well. btw I'm also supper looking forward to UCSD, hope for the best!

1 hour ago, joshualuo7 said:

Sorry to hear about that, I took the L as well although my interest really don't match as well. btw I'm also supper looking forward to UCSD, hope for the best!

Woke up to a glaring rejection from Michigan this morning, as well... Didn't wanna move to the Midwest, anyway! 

2 hours ago, jt21 said:

How are people enduring the wait? Still haven't heard from ethnic studies except for Berkeley's rejection, and I am starting to get quite discouraged lol. How is everyone?

Well, certainly hoping for some good news after getting no acceptance so far. I wonder when will the result for UCSD will come out

6 hours ago, joshualuo7 said:

Well, certainly hoping for some good news after getting no acceptance so far. I wonder when will the result for UCSD will come out

Based on what I saw from previous years, UCSD is usually in the first week of March. Four weeks to go!