Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

Heh, I think I may be going in the opposite direction of many people here.  I have been dressing business casual for the past 2 years in a "real" job, and I am super excited that I can wear my jeans and t-shirts again that I haven't worn during weekdays since undergrad!  Shoes won't be a big change, since I just got a pair of "nice" black gym shoes instead of my normal ones to wear here.  Although I am extremely short (under 5'), I do not wear heels.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not allowed inside DSW Shoe Warehouse without a chaperone.

I think that as long as you obey the golden mantra ("leggings are not pants"), you'll be fine.

I think there's a lot of over-thinking going on in this thread. Grad students at my undergrad/future grad dress worse than the undergrads. Frumpy, nothing fits, old things from the 90s when we were fr

I have a vaguely related question to this thread, and I'd like to get some opinions.

I've got a big engagement ring. The diamond is an heirloom stone passed down through my family, so we/my fiance didn't spend much getting it set, BUT the ring is worth quite a lot due to the large diamond (had to get it appraised to get it insured). I also have tiny hands, so it looks even bigger.

I'll be married when I start my program, and my simple wedding band can be worn with or without the (admittedly flashy) engagement ring. My coworkers ALL remarked on how big the diamond was, and so I know people really notice it (I think they were surprised at the size in part because my fiance is a grad student, and I also don't make much money). While I really like having the family heirloom with me at all times, I've been debating if it's more "professional" to store the engagement ring away in a safety deposit box and just wear the wedding band while in school.

So what are your opinions about a flashy engagement ring while in grad school?

I was in sort of the same place in undergrad. DH and I got engaged between my sophomore and junior year and while engagements are completely normal, the size of my stone was not (especially since I was in the humanities). In the end, I wore the ring when it was practical (studying in Guate, not so much) and didn't make a big deal of it.

Once we got married between Junior and Senior year, I alternated between wearing both rings (which DH preferred, he is proud of the ring since he designed it) and just my band. Just because I think the ring is too much for my volunteering (I don't want to submerge diamond and sapphires in 97% ethyl and bone grease), I tend to wear my band more often. But even when I wear my e-ring, no one really comments.

Regardless, make sure you have good insurance (my band is currently missing after making dinner tonight, so we might have to use ours :unsure: )

Edited by GreenePony
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 to what biscuits said (i feel like i say that a lot!): i, too, am super petite (short & skinny), so skinny jeans a good option for me. i also have a few pairs of skinny corduroys from uniqlo that i like a lot. as long as they're not unholy levels of form-fitting, you should be fine!

I was wondering if skinny pants/jeans are considered too sexy? I dress pretty conservatively, but since I'm petite, I look like I'm drowning in most other pants.

I wear skinny jeans all the time here, because I find them warmer than my flares for whichever reason. Since my hips are pretty broad I just try to cover them with a very loose, long sweater or nice top. 

My advisor is a really good dresser. I always feel like a bum when I'm around her. I've never been that great at fashion and wearing heels is not my favorite thing. Any tips to dress more fashionable?

I tend to shop at banana republic, ann taylor, j jill, talbots, etc.

Should I just look in magazines or something? lol

I tend to shop at banana republic, ann taylor, j jill, talbots, etc.

If you shop there, I think you're already fashionable.

There's a girl in my department that's really into fashion.  I can't talk fashion with her in general, because I will never have her level of style awareness, and frankly don't want to worry that much about what I wear, but picking her brain for individual things can be useful, like, "What kind of flats should I wear with this skirt?" or, "Where did you get your blazer?" 

Maybe you could ask someone similar?

I ride my bike to campus, which is a good excuse for wearing comfortable clothes and shoes, but truth be told, I wouldn't wear heels around campus even if I drove.  Too much work.

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone wear to conferences? I have my first professional conference next month and am trying to figure out what to pack. Business casual? Dressier but not quiet suits?

I had the same question and started a separate thread:

(My first conference is next weekend -- should be interesting!)