Tallahassee, FL

rising_star

nevermind, I found a place that offers short term lease, but its not furnished. It's called Stratford Landing off of W. Tennessee. Not too far from campus and the rent is decent (520 a month). All I have to worry about is getting a comfy futon which will be my bed, and I'd have to pay for internet and electricity. I would have much rather preferred living in student apartments (with other fellow graduate students) instead because I feel like I could get more out of same price and it would be a nicer apartment. Due to my family insisting that I get 1/1 so that they'll have a place to stay when they visit, I decided to find the best deal i could find.

• 7 months later...

I know there have been two or three comments which have been made about culture/nightlife in the town, but does anyone else who is either currently a grad student at FSU or has lived in the Tallahassee area care to comment on the culture/night-life/what they do on the weekends/going to beaches? I am trying to decide between two pretty academically comparable departments on opposite sides of the country, so because of this, the amount of importance I am giving to geography/culture has increased a fair amount. I am really a beach type of guy and I notice most of the posters have commented that you cannot get to any beaches without driving 1.5-2 hours minimum. I was wondering namely why this was so/why the gulf panhandle/upper-west coast of Florida is largely undeveloped? Also, if you had to pick your top three restaurants/bars in Tallahassee, what would they be? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I know there have been two or three comments which have been made about culture/nightlife in the town, but does anyone else who is either currently a grad student at FSU or has lived in the Tallahassee area care to comment on the culture/night-life/what they do on the weekends/going to beaches? I am trying to decide between two pretty academically comparable departments on opposite sides of the country, so because of this, the amount of importance I am giving to geography/culture has increased a fair amount. I am really a beach type of guy and I notice most of the posters have commented that you cannot get to any beaches without driving 1.5-2 hours minimum. I was wondering namely why this was so/why the gulf panhandle/upper-west coast of Florida is largely undeveloped? Also, if you had to pick your top three restaurants/bars in Tallahassee, what would they be? Thanks!

I would also love to hear from grad students on where they chose to live in Tally (I smile saying that) as I am seriously considering FSU's offer.

Price? Where to avoid 24/7 partying? How far from campus can I live and still be near by?

Any input is helpful!

BUMP. I know there are a lot of Seminoles/prospective Seminoles out there. Advice?

i'll probably go there for grad school and this is what I know (from my visit and lurking int he forum):

- Housing on and around the campus (that is 1 to 5 blocks from the main campus) are mostly occupied by undergraduates so noise from partying in these areas might be inevitable. the further from the campus, the quieter. Best location to live off-campus = east / north east.

- Avoid Frenchtown, which is at the northeast side of the campus, 1-2 blocks north of W. Tennessee. This is the neighborhood that you don't wanna walk on the street by yourself at night. Buddy system is strongly recommended in the evening, especially if you don't have a car.

- Like southern California, a car is almost-essential to get around the city, even though there are buses to take you to different places.

- A few graduate students recommended me to first live at the graduate housing (month-by-month contract), and find an off-campus housing that you like. Some students dislike Alumni Village, some find it okay.

While I'm trying to looking for a 1bd/1ba apartment, if anyone is going there for grad school and is an extremely responsible person (e.g. keep the common areas clean) who are also looking for a housemate, PM me! I'm trying to look for an apartment that is 1-2 blocks away from school that are within walking/biking distance.

• 1 month later...

Hello! Florida native here. I actually went to FSU's main rival for undergrad, but a lot of my friends went to FSU and I've spent considerable time there. While Mexican food is good, Tallahassee really has more and better Cuban food, in my opinion. I second aberrant's advice to live away from campus. We used to call Publix, the local grocery store near campus, "Club Publix" because it was always full of undergrads in club clothes stocking up for parties. YOU NEED A CAR. I repeat, YOU NEED A CAR, although the Night Nole will get you home from downtown for free in a pinch if you live around campus. Also, Wordshadow, there are very nice beaches in the panhandle area, but they ARE 1.5-2 hours away. People make day trips to the beach, but it's by no means a beach town and does not have a beach-town feel, despite the AWESOME weather (by awesome, I mean hot). The pan-handle is not really undeveloped, just kind of back-country (think singing "Country Roads" to yourself as you drive around the panhandle. Oh, you don't like country music? Don't worry, it grows on on you). Also, that area was devastated by hurricanes several times in the last decade, which doesn't help. I wouldn't worry too much about housing. Tallahassee has a booming apartment industry catering to all types of students. A lot of apartments will even match you with roommates and you can specify that you want to live with another grad student, etc. Please do your research and don't sign an apartment lease that sounds too good to be true. Tallahassee isn't a dangerous city, but there are parts I wouldn't want to live in and have had friends that went that route have their apartment broken into.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, the best apartments in Tallahassee for graduate students are Polos on Park, Evergreens at Mahan and Victoria Grand. Victoria Grand is very expensive (especially if you are living alone) but if you have a roommate, it's doable. I recommend these because they are 10-15 minutes away from campus MAX and in a nice area. These complexes are filled with all different types of people; grad students, young professionals, families. Occasionally you'll stumble upon a few undergrads but for the most part you don't have to worry about that. I honestly can't think of any other area I'd live in. I've been in Tallahassee for 4 years and I'm staying for at least another 2 :)

wow thanks for all the info! have you ( or anyone ) heard anything about Arrow Pointe or Savannah Sound apartments? I'm trying avoid loud / filled with undergrad places.

Arrow Pointe is pretty far away from campus. You're looking at a 30 minute drive to campus anywhere north of I-10. However, you wouldn't have a problem with undergrads there. In my opinion, Savannah Sound would be a better choice. Closer to campus, really nice area, wouldn't have to deal with undergrads, close to Thomasville Rd. which is where Midtown is located (tons of restaurants, shops and bars). Sorry for the late response!

• 8 months later...

I am looking to sublease my apartment in Tallahassee starting May 1st, 2013 until Aug 2013. You can then choose to renew the lease in August with the apt complex. It's located right across from campus and is a 1bd/1bath. It is super convenient because you don't have to worry about struggling to find parking on campus and you are close to fast food/resteraunts/buses and about 10 minutes drive to the grocery store. The rent is $1020 per month (this includes an assigned covered parking space), but this is negotiable.

Here are some of the features:

Washer/Dryer in unit, highspeed internet/WiFi and extended cable included, full kitchen, and personal bathroom. Apt comes furnished with full sized couch, chair, coffee table, end table, entertainment unit, bar stools, desk + chair, dresser and bed. Wood flooring in kitchen, living space and bathroom. Carpet in bedroom. Apartment looks out to pool area. One assigned, covered parking spot is included in price. Apartment is on 3rd floor. Very secure with electronic key to enter.Apartment amenities include: pool/spa, fitness center, tanning bed, media center, internet cafe, and study rooms.

PM me with any other questions you may have or if you would like to see pictures of the apartment!

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP. I know there are a lot of Seminoles/prospective Seminoles out there. Advice?

Alright, I'm here right now for Grad School.  The panhandle is not very developed, and because I'm from a place where I am 10 minutes from a beach I haven't really gone to a beach up here for much of an excursion.  If you're willing to drive about an hour, St. George Island is very pretty (it's in Franklin County by Apalachicola).  There is a closer beach but it's not as "nice", supposedly, called Alligator Point.  Really, the area between Tallahassee and Panama City is generally economically impoverished, as Tallahassee is a huge economic driver (with government and the university) in the region and many of the other panhandle areas' economic bases are in volatile industries like seafood.

I'm a vegetarian and pretty low-key.  Top 3s:

Bars:

1) My favorite bar is a smoky one across from campus where I can go on a Sunday or Monday, get a draft beer for $1.95 and eat free pizza (Poor Paul's).  

2) Eh.  There's an area in town called Midtown with a number of bars (I think there's 6 along one strip with 2 or 3 more around the corner from these).  Of these, I probably like Finnegan's Wake the best but it is small.  There's outdoor space which is good when it's warm.

3) Um.  Proof is okay if you go at a time when it's not overrun with undergrads.  I'm kind of a bad person to advise on bars because I generally am happy at cheap places where I can get a light American beer.

Food:

1) Mediterranean place adjacent to campus called Pitaria.

2) Hare Krishna follwers serve a vegetarian meal on campus everyday for $5 per plate.  You get three sides, salad, 2 desserts, and a drink, all vegetarian and much of it vegan.  It's pretty delicious and something a lot of people would probably overlook when telling you about food.

3) Mellow Mushroom is a chain pizza place (but like the sit-down style) somewhat near the stadium that has a variety of pizzas that are tasty if you are looking for something different than frozen pizza or Pizza Hut, etc.

But I'm going to be very honest.  I do not really like the town on the whole.  The area around campus is where I live and obviously spend the most time, and I don't really feel safe and to me it feels blighted.  The sprawling areas are nicer but I am an infill/central city girl myself.

i'll probably go there for grad school and this is what I know (from my visit and lurking int he forum):

- Housing on and around the campus (that is 1 to 5 blocks from the main campus) are mostly occupied by undergraduates so noise from partying in these areas might be inevitable. the further from the campus, the quieter. Best location to live off-campus = east / north east.

- Avoid Frenchtown, which is at the northeast side of the campus, 1-2 blocks north of W. Tennessee. This is the neighborhood that you don't wanna walk on the street by yourself at night. Buddy system is strongly recommended in the evening, especially if you don't have a car.

- Like southern California, a car is almost-essential to get around the city, even though there are buses to take you to different places.

- A few graduate students recommended me to first live at the graduate housing (month-by-month contract), and find an off-campus housing that you like. Some students dislike Alumni Village, some find it okay.

While I'm trying to looking for a 1bd/1ba apartment, if anyone is going there for grad school and is an extremely responsible person (e.g. keep the common areas clean) who are also looking for a housemate, PM me! I'm trying to look for an apartment that is 1-2 blocks away from school that are within walking/biking distance.

Alright, I live in Frenchtown...on the very edge.  I live with my boyfriend which makes me more comfortable; I would not live here alone.  That said, I have an approximately 10 minute walk to my building, an even shorter bike (obviously), and never have to deal with on-campus parking unless I am too lazy to walk to the gym (ridiculous, I know) or I'm going to be around after dark.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Mexican cuisine? This is extremely important.

As I said, I'm a vegetarian.  Therefore, Mexican restaurants are a great place for me to go and actually have choices.  We have a lot of Mexican restaurants and I think they're pretty good.  Good margaritas are important to these places to feed the demands of the multitude of (mostly) women turning 21 in town.  My favorite one is El Tapatio.  El Jalisco is very popular and it's pretty nice if you sit outside but inside is incredibly loud due to the tile floor.

El Jalisco is pretty popular also because of its margaritas deal. Buy 1, get 1 style. Thus, it can be a bit crazy with undergrads. Gordos is a pretty delicious Cuban restaurant, but be warned, there is bad service 8 out of 10 times. 

As for housing, please, for the sake of your safety, avoid Jackson bluff area. My three friends who have lived in that area have all been broken into and have had stuff stolen. It's a high theft neighborhood really. Fine in the daylight, just don't walk home alone at night. 

If you want to do basics of life and that's it, ie, school, food, sleep, then you can survive without a car. However, you have to be living somewhat near campus or on the bus route. I wouldn't recommend though. Tally is pretty spread out if you want to say, go to the mall, or go to Wal-mart as it is much further away, and as far as I know, not on the Seminole bus route. 

As for housing do not stay with "aptsintally" company. They own Seminole Grand, Polo Club, and a few other apartment housing companies. Horrible to their tenants. Things will break and never be fixed. Staff is useless. And they will stalk your apartment and invent reasons to try and fine you. I've had to go to the office with my lease several times regarding such matters. Also, if you still don't believe me, here's a nifty piece of recent news: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/22/floor-collapse-injures-55/1648911/. 

I dislike the company a lot since they purchased my apartment complex last year. It was a great place until they started making some really weird, demanding rules that made no sense. /: 

Anyways, housing that is about 10-15 minutes away is cheaper and less undergraduate flooded. Therefore, houses are chosen more often by graduates in my opinion than apartments.

Edited by aec09g

^ Yes, the 2 for 1 margaritas.  Watch out for those.  :)

The bus system here is alright and they are working to make it better but you probably would like to have a car.  Biking around the city as a whole is kind of scary but confident cyclists do it.

The area around Lake Ella is fairly popular for grad students.  I know someone who lives in the apartment complex Londontown and doesn't always lock her doors.  I think she's really crazy but she's from Miami so maybe that's why she doesn't think anything of it.

The areas around campus do experience a lot of burglaries.  Criminals know that college students are relatively oblivious to things like locking their doors.

Greetings, Probably going to start graduate school at FSU in fall, I have a school-age child. I would like any information regarding elementary schools; any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Please inbox me.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a very generous offer from FSu and loved my visit there. But wanted to ask more about the town and jobs in general. If I go there I will be moving with family. How is the job market there? Especially in the food related industry? Where are the best neighborhoods for apartments? What do natives think about the town overall? I come from a big city so the small town feel was definitely something different!

Not a native, but came for Grad School and never left! Town made up of 3 layers, Government, Education, and locals. Very family friendly. There are some nice areas close to FSU, but try to stay north of Tharpe street to stay away from undergrads. More affluence way north and way east. Job Market is average... Love it here!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like Tallahassee.  I'm here for grad school and likely going to stay for my PhD due to a great financial offer, but I do not like the town.  However, much of my experience has been living in one of the seedier areas of town.  Honestly, the area has a worse reputation than it deserves, but it certainly is not the most aesthetically pleasing part of town so that doesn't help my general dislike of the city.

That said, there are nicer areas you can live.  You should be aware that there's a lot of construction happening on the south side of campus (Gaines Street) and I'm not sure when they expect to be finished with all of those projects.  There are apartments there but I imagine you have to deal with a lot of construction noise, etc.

I don't know what exactly you mean by food related industry...