South Bend, IN

gradgirl

I would say you can probably find a decent place to live in South Bend for around $500-$600 per month. Tack on maybe an extra $50 for utilities. So for living it's possible, but you may need to use some of your spouse's income for food. $10k is really not a lot to live off of anywhere in the world. If you have a car and don't mind commuting, you can probably find a much cheaper place nearby (e.g., Niles, MI, which is 20 minutes away from campus). Of course, this probably will add to the cost in terms of parking fees, and I'm not sure how much these cost at ND.

I would say you can probably find a decent place to live in South Bend for around $500-$600 per month. Tack on maybe an extra $50 for utilities. So for living it's possible, but you may need to use some of your spouse's income for food. $10k is really not a lot to live off of anywhere in the world. If you have a car and don't mind commuting, you can probably find a much cheaper place nearby (e.g., Niles, MI, which is 20 minutes away from campus). Of course, this probably will add to the cost in terms of parking fees, and I'm not sure how much these cost at ND.

Thanks. I asked because I got an all-inclusive (all facilities) rent just outside the campus premises, an offer that comes to about $11k. So I was wondering if to take that, as I would then have only about $10k left of my stipend. With this perspective, I'm probably better off seeking another housing and then sort out the facilities (internet, electricity etc) by myself. No, we don't have a car and I really would not like to commute. I'll have to keep searching, then.

I'm also curious about this because one of the housing options I'm looking at would leave me with about $9500 left of my stipend per year (counting health insurance/electricity/cable/laundry/etc already paid). So the $9500 would only have to pay for gas and food, basically. Also, the said housing is on campus, so gas wouldn't really be an issue except for going somewhere off campus.

So then it comes down to $9500 (or $790 per month) for food, and a small amount of gas. Is that doable in South Bend???

I'm also curious about this because one of the housing options I'm looking at would leave me with about $9500 left of my stipend per year (counting health insurance/electricity/cable/laundry/etc already paid). So the $9500 would only have to pay for gas and food, basically. Also, the said housing is on campus, so gas wouldn't really be an issue except for going somewhere off campus.

So then it comes down to $9500 (or $790 per month) for food, and a small amount of gas. Is that doable in South Bend???

Yes, this is my exact concern. I think I also considered this option that you speak of. I am just trying to find out if it is doable in South Bend or I should give up, find a more affordable place far from campus and resort to commuting from there.

It should be more than enough unless you're eating out every day. I live in DC, which is significantly more expensive than SB, and I spend about $60/week on groceries and eat out maybe once or twice a week. I would say i spend $30 eating out per week, so let's call it $90/week = $360/month. South Bend is significantly cheaper--you should be able to have a lot of residual income. Now, if you're going to never really cook and eat lunch out every day, it's a bit more grim.

It should be more than enough unless you're eating out every day. I live in DC, which is significantly more expensive than SB, and I spend about $60/week on groceries and eat out maybe once or twice a week. I would say i spend $30 eating out per week, so let's call it $90/week = $360/month. South Bend is significantly cheaper--you should be able to have a lot of residual income. Now, if you're going to never really cook and eat lunch out every day, it's a bit more grim.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

One more question: another housing option I'm looking at would leave me with $7600 per year (or $640 per month), all things already paid except gas, food, and university books. Is that feasible?

By gas I'm assuming you mean gasoline and not as a utility? It would be strange to have an apartment include electricity but not gas.

On paper I think it should be enough but you have to remember that stipends are not tax-free, so your $640/month may be a little less than you think. Personally, I think that living in the midwest you probably shouldn't get an apartment with utilities paid for. It's nice to never have a surprise but at the same time it's really only so hot that you NEED air conditioning maybe 2 months out of the 10. It does get cold, but it's usually much cheaper to pay for heat than for A/C.

My advice: Try to estimate your net stipend (stipend less taxable income), and then make a budget for things. 

It's really dependent on your deductibles. As a grad student, you're entitled to a $2,000 tax credit so that's nice. If you pay student loans, you can deduct all those. I can't imagine an effective tax rate being MUCH higher than 15 percent in a pretty bad case scenario, so I guess you can assume you'll get around $17,000 based on a $20,000 stipend.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an international student moving from Europe to South Bend in August.

Any ideas of where to look for a safe, affordable 2BR apt or house near the ND campus for a small family of three? Harter heights is certainly compelling but perhaps a little too pricey. Also, how much should I expect to pay in utilities in addition to rent?

• 2 weeks later...

Is living in Chicago and commuting to Notre Dame a worthwhile option if I only had class 2 days a week? 

It's not a bad commute. The train would take you there in about 2 hours 30 minutes. The only issue is that it takes you to the South Bend Airport, which is not very close to the ND campus. You would have to Uber/cab from the airport. I'm not aware if there's any shuttle or bus that takes you to campus from the airport.

On the other hand, this assumes you're leaving Chicago from Millennium Station. You have to factor in commuting to the station in Chicago as well. Personally, I don't think it is worth it unless you have a very compelling reason (an internship/job that pays well, for example).

• 9 months later...
On 4/1/2015 at 8:35 AM, footballman2399 said:

It's not a bad commute. The train would take you there in about 2 hours 30 minutes. The only issue is that it takes you to the South Bend Airport, which is not very close to the ND campus. You would have to Uber/cab from the airport. I'm not aware if there's any shuttle or bus that takes you to campus from the airport.

On the other hand, this assumes you're leaving Chicago from Millennium Station. You have to factor in commuting to the station in Chicago as well. Personally, I don't think it is worth it unless you have a very compelling reason (an internship/job that pays well, for example).

I am from Michiana and live in Chicago now. I take the South Shore commuter train to visit family often. It's fairly reliable as far as timing, but I would hate to take it every week. While there are many who take it on a daily basis to travel to and from work in Chicago, it's a fairly cramped and loud situation. You don't even have guaranteed seating as with Amtrak. It's quite a bit worse on game days and when they are doing maintenance (example, they recently did work that required a bus between Chicago and Michigan City, then the train between Michigan City and South Bend). I doubt anyone used to Chicago's frequent and expansive CTA would be happy with the busses in South Bend. 

Try it a couple times before committing. As stated above, it might not be worth it outside of a compelling reason.

• 2 months later...

Would anyone be able to tell me more about graduate student like at Notre Dame/South Bend, Indiana? I'm afraid that it is mostly centered around undergraduates, with a small graduate student population and not a whole lot to do in the immediate area. Is there more to do than I think? Is graduate student social life around there plenty to give a good stress relief from graduate studies?

Current student at Notre Dame. It is true that it's in a small town and the undergrad population is larger than the grad population, but there are a lot of good things to do here, too - they're just not as immediately obvious as they might be in a big city. The restaurant scene has some hidden gems, and the arts scene is growing. People are very friendly, and the student population is generally pretty athletic. I generally don't get bored on campus, but if you do get bored and want to go to a city, it's easy to get a train to Chicago.

ETA: I want to add a caveat that I am not a current Notre Dame student or alumnus/a; I'm but a mere, mortal townie who's leaving in the fall.

Michiana (the greater region in which Notre Dame is located) tends to be fairly...sleepy. Yes, Chicago is about 1.5 hours away, but in the immediate area, you have to really hunt for exciting stuff to do. I've lived here for most of my life, and I think that I'm lucky that I'm kind of an introvert who doesn't need a lot of nightlife, because it's hard to find here. The only time the area has much hustle and bustle is during, of course, football season (which is actually pleasantly festive), and First Fridays (https://downtownsouthbend.com/downtown-south-bend-first-fridays ). And I agree with @dumeigui that there really are some hidden gems in the form of local cuisine, and the art scene--while still small--is growing, though we really only have two museums. (Both of them great.)

I get the sense that, based on the graduate students I've met, many graduate students probably entertain themselves in low-key ways, like gathering at someone's house for dinner, etc. They're (and we all are/were/will be) quite busy, anyway! :)

If anyone is interested in learning more about life from a townie's perspective, feel free to PM!

Edited by rococo_realism
Forgot something.

• 1 year later...

I'm here to revive this thread :) I have a very specific question. I'm moving to South Bend this fall with my husband who will not be able to work due to visa regulations. We can be pretty frugal, if need may be and I'm a good cook. Would 23K per year be enough for two people? Rent and utilities will pretty much be unchanged. If we go for a $700 studio that will leave us with $14,600 a year, minus tax, for utilities, food and whatever strictly necessary expenses we might have. Will this be enough? I am very worried.

5 hours ago, AnnaGG said:

I'm here to revive this thread :) I have a very specific question. I'm moving to South Bend this fall with my husband who will not be able to work due to visa regulations. We can be pretty frugal, if need may be and I'm a good cook. Would 23K per year be enough for two people? Rent and utilities will pretty much be unchanged. If we go for a $700 studio that will leave us with $14,600 a year, minus tax, for utilities, food and whatever strictly necessary expenses we might have. Will this be enough? I am very worried.

Anna,

It’s likely that a good portion of the inhabitants of the city live under 23k, so it’s quite feasible. The cost of living in this town is low enough that many of us stick around after graduation. So long as you don’t have to spend a lot of money on transportation, you’ll be fine.

3 hours ago, Pepé Le Pew said:

Anna,

It’s likely that a good portion of the inhabitants of the city live under 23k, so it’s quite feasible. The cost of living in this town is low enough that many of us stick around after graduation. So long as you don’t have to spend a lot of money on transportation, you’ll be fine.

Oh yay! Thank you. The move has me all sorts of anxious and material worries are the most.. well.. material.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:28 AM, AnnaGG said:

I have lived in the South Bend area my whole life, and am now an undergrad at ND. I definitely think you will be okay with a stipend of 23K. 

Almost everything you’ll need (grocery store, hospital, shopping, etc) are walkable or at most a short, 3-mine drive. Even while commuting 20 miles a day in high school, I would only spend about $80 a month on gas. Food is also INSANELY CHEAP. I think I maybe spend $200 a month on food and I eat a lot. The university health insurance plan is pretty decent, so I doubt you’ll have to worry too much about any major medical bills. The best part of this town is that you can have a lot of fun at little to no cost. ND has lots of cultural events on campus that are usually free to students. The county parks are free on Sunday’s, basketball/hockey games are free for students, and so much more! 

In fact, from what I can tell, grad students do quite well in South Bend. My mom did her PhD in economics at ND, and our family was able to purchase a home during that time. Many members of my church are grad students, and most have kids and own a home (and a good portion of them are the only major source of income in their family). Of course, stipends do vary, but I think yours will probably even leave you with some savings.