Portland, OR

Guest Mnemosyne9

Thank you, garlica:) Do you have any suggestions to find housing aside from padmapper and craigslist? If we wanted to rent a house would it be worth getting a realtor?

I've never used a realtor but it may help-the housing market is bananas! The key for houses managed by companies is first come first serve. My old house I shared in the Dekum neighborhood (it was a steal, 4 bedrooms $1400/month) we contacted the management company 15 minutes after it posted on craigslist, toured the house 1 hr after it was posted on craigslist, and were signing the papers 3 hours after it was posted. This is an extreme example, but the trendier the neighborhood, the harder it is unless you want an apartment. If you don't mind a little longer bus commute to OHSU, I would also look in St. Johns (North portland) and further out in NE (past 42nd st. but before 82). These are great charming neighborhoods that have some nicer houses for less $$...and are still close to Vancouver

Thank you! I've heard MANY people tell their story of needing to jump on houses and be at the house, like, immediately. This kind of sucks because I live in Seattle so the fastest I could be there would be 3 hours:( Do you have any suggestions on getting a good deal without being in the immediate area? Sorry for all the similar questions but I've heard just such bad things about the vacancy rate in Portland and I don't want to be homeless or end up in a shitty place for a year before I can move again.

• 8 months later...

I was born and raised in the Portland area, and am about to get my B.A. from Portland State. Portland is a beautiful city; similar to Seattle but a bit smaller. It rains a lot, which is off putting to some people, but I grew up in it so I'm well acclimated. You can always tell when people aren't from here because they either 1) Carry an umbrella in the lightest of rain, or 2) Drive like 90 year olds when it's raining. Lots of public transit, and you can live on campus, though most people don't. The PSU campus is in southwest Portland and is in the middle of downtown, so you're very much in the city.

As much as I love Portland, I am not interested in going to graduate school here, so I'm not applying to any schools in the city. The only real M.A. program in English is at Portland State, and I don't want to stick around there. It's not that PSU is a bad school (their MBA and urban planning programs are nationally lauded), but English is not their strong department as far as grad studies go.

I will say I've had some brilliant professors here who have come from impressive backgrounds— I've had English professors from Columbia, Northwestern, University of Chicago, and Cornell— but I just don't feel like graduate school here for the humanities is worth the time or money.

Edited by drownsoda

• 1 year later...

Bumping this because I'm highly considering attending PSU's Speech-Language Pathology masters program! 

Does anyone have any recommendations for rental properties in Portland? I can't really afford living downtown by campus, so I'm hoping to find something a little more affordable that's close to public transportation (specifically within walking/biking distance to the light rail). I'm from Tucson, Arizona and have no idea where to even start looking, as I've only visited the city once and the housing market seems a bit intimidating lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

On 3/17/2016 at 10:18 AM, Gingiestrong said:

Bumping this because I'm highly considering attending PSU's Speech-Language Pathology masters program! 

Does anyone have any recommendations for rental properties in Portland? I can't really afford living downtown by campus, so I'm hoping to find something a little more affordable that's close to public transportation (specifically within walking/biking distance to the light rail). I'm from Tucson, Arizona and have no idea where to even start looking, as I've only visited the city once and the housing market seems a bit intimidating lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

I'll pm you my property management company and a few others I can vouch for :) Portland just got another MAX line so you have quite a few options for being close to public transit. As with any city if you're open to roommates and/or willing to live outside of the hippest neighborhoods you will have a lot more options. The orange, green and yellow lines all run through campus. Outer NE into N Portland, which are along the yellow line are less expensive as is Clackamas at the end of the green line. When I was looking for a place without a car I targeted areas around transit centers and looked at major bus lines as well as the max. Routes like the 20 run right through the heart of the city (along Burnside) and are as reliable as the max, more so in inclement weather (which is rare). Happy hunting!

• 10 months later...

I'm assuming this thread may get revived soonish as acceptances start rolling in. I'm an Oregonian who has lived in the Portland area all of my life, and have lived in central city area while attending Portland State for the past 5 years (BA &a finishing MA right now). I'm here for questions.

Hi all, I've been accepted to Portland State U for PhD in applied psychology. Awaiting final details of my funding package, but the stipend looks to be about $1,200/month. Seems impossible to live off of that in Portland. I'm sure I can borrow (I've filled out the FAFSA), but will be weighing this against programs in the very affordable St. Louis if I get in (have not yet heard back). I'm an older returning student (39) and my partner is a newly minted MSW who will be looking for her first social work job. We have not merged finances at this point and so I need to think of our living situation as essentially a roommate in terms of splitting costs 50-50. Does anyone here have feedback on living off of $1200/month in Portland and how students swing it? 

2 hours ago, future_phd said:

Hi all, I've been accepted to Portland State U for PhD in applied psychology. Awaiting final details of my funding package, but the stipend looks to be about $1,200/month. Seems impossible to live off of that in Portland. I'm sure I can borrow (I've filled out the FAFSA), but will be weighing this against programs in the very affordable St. Louis if I get in (have not yet heard back). I'm an older returning student (39) and my partner is a newly minted MSW who will be looking for her first social work job. We have not merged finances at this point and so I need to think of our living situation as essentially a roommate in terms of splitting costs 50-50. Does anyone here have feedback on living off of $1200/month in Portland and how students swing it? 

If you don't mind me asking, who is your POI? Are you going to visiting day?

Any thoughts on making it in Portland on $2,100/month after taxes? That's what I'll have if I don't take out any additional loans and my wife doesn't work. I'm considering taking out maybe $12,000/year in loans for additional cost of living expenses and maybe my wife can find part time work to help out but I have no idea what the job market is like. (potential OHSU student with tuition and health insurance taken care of).

On 2/24/2017 at 11:17 AM, J_Dub said:

Any thoughts on making it in Portland on $2,100/month after taxes? That's what I'll have if I don't take out any additional loans and my wife doesn't work. I'm considering taking out maybe $12,000/year in loans for additional cost of living expenses and maybe my wife can find part time work to help out but I have no idea what the job market is like. (potential OHSU student with tuition and health insurance taken care of).

On 2/19/2017 at 6:54 AM, future_phd said:

My stipend in Portland is $700 after taxes, and as you can imagine, I have to take out loans and rely on my partner to supplement the cost of living. We are about three miles from campus on the east side of Portland, which is closer than a lot of people get to live. I have a very nice bike ride or bus ride into campus. It's a nice neighborhood, and we have a 2 bedroom apartment with a cat, no outdoor space, and a shared laundry room. I know lots of people who rent adorable houses with multiple roommates, and if I wasn't partnered, this would be my ideal scenario. Maybe this breakdown will help you both:

My rent: $1,200 (including water/sewage/garbage). This is a commonish price for rent in Portland, but we are lucky to live as close in as we do and pay this much. The comparable apartments that have been opening up across the street from me are going for ~$1350-1400. 

February's power bill (we used the heat a fair amount): $95 (January's was $120 which is high for us! But it snowed and was so cold all month). 

Internet: $80 (stupid Comcast)

I can't think of any other costs that directly relate to renting right now. We have a phone bill, a car payment, student loans, etc, too, so it's not easy for me and I hate taking out loans but it's very necessary. If you don't care about living in the "cool" part of town, look at Beaverton and Hillsboro which is very accessible by the MAX and you get more space for your $... although I have lots of friends who live out there and pay just as much as I do :| 

To answer you both more directly, $1200 is doable but you'll need at least one roommate and can't live downtown unless you find a cheaper place (check out College Housing NW) or have multiple roommates, but downtown is kind of overrated, anyway. $2100 and you'll be fine. You could technically live in my 2 bedroom and live with a real tight budget and be fine. 

The cost of living in Portland is getting horrible (I used to pay half of what I pay now for more space and a backyard in SW Portland... BLEH D:) but with roommates and budgets, it's totally worth it. Portland is fucking lovely and I'm sad that I want my PhD bad enough to leave. That being said, EVERYONE loves Portland now so the issues will only get worse from here on... although we are finally off of the top 5 places that people move to as of this year. 

14 hours ago, Aucitronvert said:

My stipend in Portland is $700 after taxes, and as you can imagine, I have to take out loans and rely on my partner to supplement the cost of living. We are about three miles from campus on the east side of Portland, which is closer than a lot of people get to live. I have a very nice bike ride or bus ride into campus. It's a nice neighborhood, and we have a 2 bedroom apartment with a cat, no outdoor space, and a shared laundry room. I know lots of people who rent adorable houses with multiple roommates, and if I wasn't partnered, this would be my ideal scenario. Maybe this breakdown will help you both:

My rent: $1,200 (including water/sewage/garbage). This is a commonish price for rent in Portland, but we are lucky to live as close in as we do and pay this much. The comparable apartments that have been opening up across the street from me are going for ~$1350-1400. 

February's power bill (we used the heat a fair amount): $95 (January's was $120 which is high for us! But it snowed and was so cold all month). 

Internet: $80 (stupid Comcast)

I can't think of any other costs that directly relate to renting right now. We have a phone bill, a car payment, student loans, etc, too, so it's not easy for me and I hate taking out loans but it's very necessary. If you don't care about living in the "cool" part of town, look at Beaverton and Hillsboro which is very accessible by the MAX and you get more space for your $... although I have lots of friends who live out there and pay just as much as I do :| 

To answer you both more directly, $1200 is doable but you'll need at least one roommate and can't live downtown unless you find a cheaper place (check out College Housing NW) or have multiple roommates, but downtown is kind of overrated, anyway. $2100 and you'll be fine. You could technically live in my 2 bedroom and live with a real tight budget and be fine. 

The cost of living in Portland is getting horrible (I used to pay half of what I pay now for more space and a backyard in SW Portland... BLEH D:) but with roommates and budgets, it's totally worth it. Portland is fucking lovely and I'm sad that I want my PhD bad enough to leave. That being said, EVERYONE loves Portland now so the issues will only get worse from here on... although we are finally off of the top 5 places that people move to as of this year. 

Huge thanks for the your current breakdown in budget; that helps me tremendously!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 6:54 AM, future_phd said:

If you don't mind, who is your POI? Congrats on getting in! :)

• 1 year later...

I know this thread's old, but I've recently been accepted to Portland State for their MFA program in writing. I'm still waiting on funding information, but I've gone ahead and researched apartments and houses as a way to prepare and sort of get my own finances in check. I won't be relying solely on an assistantship (if I don't get one, I have other offers standing) as my partner will be moving with me and work to supplement our income. I managed to make it through my undergrad without a student loan, and I'm hoping graduate school will miraculously go the same way (fingers crossed).

How much harder is it to survive in Portland as a non-resident? Has the cost of living increased to the point that it's ridiculous? Has safety increased or decreased? 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how many people are actually reading this thread, but I've been accepted into Portland state and I may be moving there. I plan to move there with my partner, and we'd like to live close to downtown or near to public transit. We were thinking about getting a two bedroom and splitting the cost with a roommate or another couple! If anyone reading this is also moving and is in need of some roommates and is looking to spend around $1000 a month please let me know through PM's! Our ideal budget would be $1200 a month max. I haven't decided yet since I am waiting to hear decisions from some schools but figured I'd get a head start searching just in case. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:24 AM, PsychPhdBound said:

In case anyone from this round is considering Portland I just wanted to let you know I'm here to answer any questions and the city. Feel free to message me!

yes!! I applied to PSU MSW program and should hopefully be hearing back this month. I live in NY, would love to talk to someone about what it is like to live in Oregon. Do you check your messages on here often? I also can do email. Whatever works :)