Fall 2011

fadoesaudade

aw thanks guys, this was too sweet :)

received my second rejection last night, and it was to one of the programs I was really excited about. 3 other schools havent sent me formal rejections but I know they already had their open houses so ... that's not looking so good. And my last option, my dream school, is such a far reach that my chances of being selected out of all the other, more experienced applicants is slim to none ... but I'm still holding out hope sad.gif

hope everything is going well for you guys!!!

Do you mean to say that if you were not invited to their open house, it means rejection?

What if I am an international applicant and would not have an opportunity to visit them? I think that they realize that not every potential applicant can come to their open house. Personally, I think that no invitation does not mean rejection.

Do you mean to say that if you were not invited to their open house, it means rejection?

What if I am an international applicant and would not have an opportunity to visit them? I think that they realize that not every potential applicant can come to their open house. Personally, I think that no invitation does not mean rejection.

Well, generally everyone is invited who is accepted (or shortlisted, depends on the school). Schools realize that not everyone can visit, especially international students, but they still notify everyone that there is an open house and give them the option to attend. Don't lose hope, Zouzax, there can still be some good news in your future - a waitlist or an acceptance.

Edited by fuzzylogician

you're all right, of course! i think the stress of waiting has finally infected my brain blink.gif

@marina: no, i don't think it's a definite rejection. But the fact that they've already held interviews & invited people to an open house isn't the best sign, in my opinion. I agree with Fuzzylogician, they'd notify everyone about the open house, and if you can come from overseas, that's great. Of course, I'm just talking about my situation & yours could be completely different.

At this point I'm hoping im on an informal waitlist at some of these places. Psycholinguist, your story was a real confidence-booster.

On another, positive note, I had started looking into Plan B options - 1 year Master's programs in Linguistics in Europe (I have a Master's in Translation - and even though I've studied some Linguistics in my program, most of it has been self-study -- so I'm thinking a 1-year research program would be very helpful to my Ph.D application). Anyway, I found one awesome program and had written an email to the professor in charge, explaining my background and research goals and asking if he thought the program would be a good fit. He wrote me back yesterday, asking if we could talk on Skype. Of course, maybe he just wants to give me some more information over the phone, but deep down inside I'm thinking of the possibility that he liked my email & wants to learn more ... I'm going to prepare for the call as if it's going to be an interview, just in case rolleyes.gif

i got wait-listed from teachers college at columbia today. i know i feel very hopeful at this point, because honestly, i thought i'd get completely rejected. i really hope they'll reconsider my application T___T

that's great! best of luck biggrin.gif

That's a good sign. Good luck then.

EDIT: it seems that your email box works alright cool.gif

you're all right, of course! i think the stress of waiting has finally infected my brain blink.gif

@marina: no, i don't think it's a definite rejection. But the fact that they've already held interviews & invited people to an open house isn't the best sign, in my opinion. I agree with Fuzzylogician, they'd notify everyone about the open house, and if you can come from overseas, that's great. Of course, I'm just talking about my situation & yours could be completely different.

At this point I'm hoping im on an informal waitlist at some of these places. Psycholinguist, your story was a real confidence-booster.

On another, positive note, I had started looking into Plan B options - 1 year Master's programs in Linguistics in Europe (I have a Master's in Translation - and even though I've studied some Linguistics in my program, most of it has been self-study -- so I'm thinking a 1-year research program would be very helpful to my Ph.D application). Anyway, I found one awesome program and had written an email to the professor in charge, explaining my background and research goals and asking if he thought the program would be a good fit. He wrote me back yesterday, asking if we could talk on Skype. Of course, maybe he just wants to give me some more information over the phone, but deep down inside I'm thinking of the possibility that he liked my email & wants to learn more ... I'm going to prepare for the call as if it's going to be an interview, just in case rolleyes.gif

Edited by dilly-dallier

Gradschoolplease, good luck!

Dilly-dallier, do you think you'll be going to UConn? I've been accepted there too, so we might end up in the same program. :)

Zouzax, best of luck with your interview! (It's great you found a one-year program in Europe, most of them last two years.)

Dilly-dallier, do you think you'll be going to UConn? I've been accepted there too, so we might end up in the same program. :)

Congrats! You've decided to go to UConn?

I haven't made up my mind yet, but probably not. I prefer fellowship to assistantship, and 15-hour weekly workload is heavy, I think.

Zouzax, best of luck with your interview! (It's great you found a one-year program in Europe, most of them last two years.)

And Zouzax, that sounds like a nifty backup-plan!

thanks guys! we havent set up an interview time yet but ill let you know how it all goes smile.gif

Seems that MIT has sent out acceptances/rejections, finally. I didn't fare well here but it was a long shot anyway...

nor did I. its definitely a long shot and it seems like a lot of people applied for a spot there. This application year wasn't a successful one for me, but I'm willing to do it all over again just to apply to MIT again. I really, really loved the program. Will use it as inspiration to take the next year to improve my app smile.gif

nor did I. its definitely a long shot and it seems like a lot of people applied for a spot there. This application year wasn't a successful one for me, but I'm willing to do it all over again just to apply to MIT again. I really, really loved the program. Will use it as inspiration to take the next year to improve my app smile.gif

What a great attitude! Keep at it; they can never stop you from applying again!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while and finally registered just now so I can post something.

I applied to 4 schools and have been accepted to MIT, UMass-Amherst, UCLA and got wait-listed for NYU.

I'm quite sure where I'll be heading, but just want to think more about it before I decide. (I can't visit any of the schools as I'm working full-time in Taiwan.)

One thing I'm not sure about is whether I can live in Boston or LA just on the stipend. (Northampton/Amherst should be no problem, I guess.)

MIT hasn't given me the specifics about funding but I'd guess it'll be in the same range as the other two (20-25K /year).

I lived in Montreal, which even though being a big city, has very low rent, so my experience doesn't really help here.

Any advice on this? Thanks!

Edited by itaal

It's really great that you think so! smile.gif you'll make it!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while and finally registered just now so I can post something.

I applied to 4 schools and have been accepted to MIT, UMass-Amherst, UCLA and got wait-listed for NYU.

I'm quite sure where I'll be heading, but just want to think more about it before I decide. (I can't visit any of the schools as I'm working full-time in Taiwan.)

One thing I'm not sure about is whether I can live in Boston or LA just on the stipend. (Northampton/Amherst should be no problem, I guess.)

MIT hasn't given me the specifics about funding but I'd guess it'll be in the same range as the other two (20-25K /year).

I lived in Montreal, which even though being a big city, has very low rent, so my experience doesn't really help here.

Any advice on this? Thanks!

it's so amazing to be accepted to these schools!

I think the funding will not be a problem.

I once wondered whether the stipend of NYU was sufficient for the cost of living in New York, and people told me : even students financially supported by the Chinese government live well there, and they just have about $1, 000/month.

Edited by spitz

Seems that MIT has sent out acceptances/rejections, finally. I didn't fare well here but it was a long shot anyway...

I am sort of curious if there have been a full set of acceptances sent out. I was not rejected on the 24th, but I also did not get an acceptance. It would be pretty bad luck to have had my application get lost or whatever. On the other hand I don't want to get my hopes up for a second round of rejections.

I'm fairing better than last cycle (two waitlists for PhD vs nothing at all last year). For anyone else who was rejected from their PhD schools, I strongly recommend a MA.

Congrats! You've decided to go to UConn?

I haven't made up my mind yet, but probably not. I prefer fellowship to assistantship, and 15-hour weekly workload is heavy, I think.

Thanks :) No, I'm still torn between Connecticut and Michigan. (Any advice, anyone?)

Btw, I asked my potential advisor about the workload and he said that first-year students mostly just do stuff like xeroxing (lol; I don't even know how to do that) and some grading.

What a great attitude! Keep at it; they can never stop you from applying again!

This.

Itaal, congrats on your acceptances! (I can't give you any advice, though...)

I'm fairing better than last cycle (two waitlists for PhD vs nothing at all last year). For anyone else who was rejected from their PhD schools, I strongly recommend a MA.

Best of luck to your application this cycle.

Thanks :) No, I'm still torn between Connecticut and Michigan. (Any advice, anyone?)

Btw, I asked my potential advisor about the workload and he said that first-year students mostly just do stuff like xeroxing (lol; I don't even know how to do that) and some grading.

I dont have any advice, not quite familiar with the latter program. How's ur trip to Michigan? Anything exciting?

Thanks guys for all your positivity!!

Ive learned so much from this forum. I really wish I joined before I had sent out my applications because there is a plethora of great advice here. Good luck to everyone, can't wait to hear what your final decisions will be!! And how your first years go!

The Skype chat with the professor in Europe has been set up for tomorrow night. I'm so nervous! I don't know what to expect at all -- maybe he'll just want to give me information, but maybe he'll want to know more about my research background and interests, so I'm preparing for everything. I want to be ready because I have a tendency to go off on tangents while talking, then completely forget what the original question of my conversation partner was in the first place. So I want to have some bullet points ready :)

It took me a long time to realize that having notes ready for a meeting is a necessity for me. I don't meet with my adviser without having hand written talking points just because I am also super easy to distract. It makes everything run a lot smoother and keeps out meetings from running long.

Thanks guys for all your positivity!!

Ive learned so much from this forum. I really wish I joined before I had sent out my applications because there is a plethora of great advice here. Good luck to everyone, can't wait to hear what your final decisions will be!! And how your first years go!

The Skype chat with the professor in Europe has been set up for tomorrow night. I'm so nervous! I don't know what to expect at all -- maybe he'll just want to give me information, but maybe he'll want to know more about my research background and interests, so I'm preparing for everything. I want to be ready because I have a tendency to go off on tangents while talking, then completely forget what the original question of my conversation partner was in the first place. So I want to have some bullet points ready :)

It took me a long time to realize that having notes ready for a meeting is a necessity for me. I don't meet with my adviser without having hand written talking points just because I am also super easy to distract. It makes everything run a lot smoother and keeps out meetings from running long.

This.

I usually try to come to every meeting with a handout, but at the very least I always come with a list of the things I want to discuss. Professors can also get easily distracted! Talking points help keep everyone on track.

Good luck, Zouzax, and congrats to everyone on your acceptances!