Fall 2011

fadoesaudade

I dont have any advice, not quite familiar with the latter program. How's ur trip to Michigan? Anything exciting?

Well, I liked the visit more than I thought I could like any interview-related event. :) Both the faculty and the students were super nice. The atmosphere in the department is in general very friendly and not competitive at all, or at least that was my impression. On the other hand, we were constantly busy (I had six interviews) and the stress level was pretty high. And, sure, I occasionally acted out of character and might have said quite a few really stupid things (though I wasn't as talkative as usual), but - all in all - I'm really glad I had that experience. The only downside is that the visit has made my decision-making uber-difficult.

(Btw, I think Typologaster mentioned a friend who goes there, and I think I met him.)

Edited by pearls

Well, I liked the visit more than I thought I could like any interview-related event. :) Both the faculty and the students were super nice. The atmosphere in the department is in general very friendly and not competitive at all, or at least that was my impression. On the other hand, we were constantly busy (I had six interviews) and the stress level was pretty high. And, sure, I occasionally acted out of character and might have said quite a few really stupid things (though I wasn't as talkative as usual), but - all in all - I'm really glad I had that experience. The only downside is that the visit has made my decision-making uber-difficult.

(Btw, I think Typologaster mentioned a friend who goes there, and I think I met him.)

Aww, glad to hear it!

(Everyone says dumb things during campus-visits. Jet-lag, travelling, new places, excitement, confusion, questions: everything can contribute. I doubt anyone'll remember. * grins *)

I doubt anyone'll remember. * grins *)

That's what I've been hoping! :)

Btw, if anybody's willing to offer any advice on UConn vs. UMich for syntax, I'm more than willing to hear it!

Anyone else accepted to Rutgers? I've already accepted their offer and I'll be going to their open house this week.

Been waitlisted there! Did they say how many people they are trying for in the cohort?

---

Anyone else visiting Stony Brook this weekend?

Ok, it seems this app season is over for me. I'm still expecting the official rejection from UCSC, but it's completely safe to assume they'd rejected me some time ago as they had their Open House last Friday-Saturday. I was accepted by Maryland today, so I've come here to beg for any advice on UConn vs. UMich vs. UMd. As you know, I'm a pretty clueless international applicant, so any help is appreciated... :)

(primary interest: theoretical syntax; secondary: child acquisition, sentence processing)

Ok, it seems this app season is over for me. I'm still expecting the official rejection from UCSC, but it's completely safe to assume they'd rejected me some time ago as they had their Open House last Friday-Saturday. I was accepted by Maryland today, so I've come here to beg for any advice on UConn vs. UMich vs. UMd. As you know, I'm a pretty clueless international applicant, so any help is appreciated... :)

(primary interest: theoretical syntax; secondary: child acquisition, sentence processing)

i can't help you with school recommendations, but congratulations on all of your acceptances!!

Does anyone know if McGill's Linguistics program has made all their decisions. I can't wait to hear SOMETHING.

Last time a prof from McGill talked to me about this, they were already meeting to make decisions. That was mid-February, so I'd guess they've probably sent out all the admissions already. But maybe you're on the wait list?

One thing about UCSC is that they very rarely take international students. I heard the last time they admitted an international student was already 3 or 4 years ago. They just don't have money.

I'm not suggesting anything, just in case u don't know, according to the recent NRC ranking, UMD is ranked almost as high as UMass. Their strength is on minimalism (if u r a fan) and psycholinguistics. Seems to me that it fits your general research interests well. But you do want to take your specific research topics into consideration.

Congrats! I don't know much about Michigan and Connecticut, but I agree that Maryland would be a great choice given your interests. (I sort of know Annie Gagliardi, who works with Jeffrey Lidz; they're both into theoretical syntax and language-acquisition.)

i can't help you with school recommendations, but congratulations on all of your acceptances!!

Thanks, Zouzax :)

Hope your interview went well!

One thing about UCSC is that they very rarely take international students. I heard the last time they admitted an international student was already 3 or 4 years ago. They just don't have money.

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of that when applying.

I'm not suggesting anything, just in case u don't know, according to the recent NRC ranking, UMD is ranked almost as high as UMass. Their strength is on minimalism (if u r a fan) and psycholinguistics. Seems to me that it fits your general research interests well. But you do want to take your specific research topics into consideration.

Congrats! I don't know much about Michigan and Connecticut, but I agree that Maryland would be a great choice given your interests. (I sort of know Annie Gagliardi, who works with Jeffrey Lidz; they're both into theoretical syntax and language-acquisition.)

Thanks Dilly-dallier and Psycholinguist; I really like their program. The research they do sounds great. The bad reputation of College Park worries me, though.

I'm still sort of confused about MIT acceptances. Have they all been sent out? If so, why have I been neither rejected or accepted. Should I shoot them a mail? Any others still waiting for word from them?

I got an email a while ago that was sent to the MIT prospectives as a group (apparently there are 10 of us)…so yeah, it seems they have.

I don't know why they wait so long to tell you – another school I applied to has a web page where you can check your application status, and mine still says "No decision" even though I know (from these very boards) that their admissions and open house already happened.:rolleyes:

I actually didn't know that this forum existed until I'd already gotten into some places (another prospective student I met on a campus visit told me about it) – it would have been so comforting to read the boards while I was waiting to hear…

I got an email a while ago that was sent to the MIT prospectives as a group (apparently there are 10 of us)…so yeah, it seems they have.

I don't know why they wait so long to tell you – another school I applied to has a web page where you can check your application status, and mine still says "No decision" even though I know (from these very boards) that their admissions and open house already happened.:rolleyes:

It seems like most people were notified by an update on the collegenet site, but my application doesn't have any status which is probably a bad thing. I'll email admissions tonight I guess.

I still haven't heard anything from UT-Austin. Status-check website says:

"We have received all credentials required to process your application. Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review."

just like it has since I submitted my application in December.

When I met with three professors and the GC (faculty) in October -- meetings that I felt went very well -- they said decisions would be made in late Feb. After seeing a few rejections on this site in late Feb, I wrote to the GPC (staff) to see if he could send me info on when acceptances would be sent out. No reply.

A week later in early March I sent an email to the GC saying that I'm still interested in the program and to see if I could send in any more information to help the committee decide. No reply.

I see on the results board that at least one person has been officially wait-listed as of March 9, so I guess I'm not technically wait-listed. Either I'm on some informal wait-list or they just haven't gotten around to rejecting me yet. Or maybe decisions are done on a sub-dept basis, and my target sub-dept is just extra slow this year. Or maybe decisions are done on a rolling basis, and I keep getting passed on to the next round but never quite make the acceptance cut-off....

Actually, I'm getting tired of trying to figure out what's going on. I'm not going to email them again; they'll let me know when they've made a decision, and I don't think there's anything I can really do in the meantime.

I'd still really like to attend UT as I think the dept and I would be a great fit, but the lack of timely communication on their end is frustrating.

Is there anyone who still did not get any information on acceptance/rejection from a graduate school?dry.gif

Still nothing from UBC, Rutgers since being waitlisted. Nothing from UToronto or MIT at all. I have gotten too busy to really worry too much about their replies though and knowing might just slow me down now anyway.

I still haven't heard anything from UT-Austin. Status-check website says:

"We have received all credentials required to process your application. Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review."

just like it has since I submitted my application in December.

After calling today, I found out that I am on a waitlist; they just forgot to email me about it.