French - Fall 2011

JoeySsance

Research interests & Programs  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose *one* time period or area of interest in French studies, which would it be?

• Moyen âge
    • Seizième siècle
    • Dix-septième siècle
    • Dix-huitième siècle
    • Dix-neuvième siècle
    • Vingtième siècle
    • Littérature contemporaine
    • Littérature postcoloniale
    • Cinéma français / francophone
    • Théorie critique (sociale ainsi que littéraire)
    • Aucune de ces options / Autre champ
  2. 2. To which of the following Ph.D programs are you applying? (This is my list, but I've included an "other" option)

• Berkeley
    • Columbia
    • Cornell
    • Harvard
    • NYU
    • Princeton
    • Yale
    • Other

Thanks Ouibeque and Joey for your replies! I received an acceptance e-mail from Columbia this past Wednesday, then one from NYU the following day, so it's been quite a week! While Columbia was my first choice program, they offered me no merit aid, so I'll be accepting NYU's offer instead. I don't feel bitter at all about turning down Columbia's offer, as NYU offered me a full tuition scholarship, which I believe is worth at least $32,000, if not more considering how tuition rates keep rising year after year! I feel pretty confident about the overall quality of NYU's program, but I'd love to hear what you, Ouibeque, thought about your experience as an undergrad in NYU's program! I don't really have any specific questions for you, but if you could let me know what your overall impressions of the program were, I'd really appreciate it! I hope all is going well for you guys at this point in the application season...

• 1 month later...

BROWN

COLUMBIA

HARVARD

JoeySsance, PhD

NYU

hcohu, MA in French Language and Civilization, NYU in Paris

PRINCETON

UPENN

I'm happy to answer questions about the application process for NYU's program, Columbia's (MA in French Cultural Studies in a Global Context), and Middlebury's (MA in French), as I was accepted into these three programs. All the best to everyone!

Thanks for posting, hcohu! Let's try to keep the school colors up if possible.

BROWN

COLUMBIA

HARVARD

JoeySsance, PhD in Romance Languages and Literatures

NYU

hcohu, MA in French Language and Civilization, NYU in Paris

PRINCETON

UPENN

Although I defer to students currently (and soon-to-be) attending these programs, I would be happy to answer any questions about the application processes and visiting weekends/open houses at the following programs I also got into: UC Berkeley (French PhD), Columbia (French and Comp Lit PhD) and Princeton (French PhD). PM with the names of other schools at which you were admitted that you had a chance to visit. It might actually be worthwhile to expand our list to include programs about which members of this site could offer some informed opinions and advice (i.e. from having applied, been accepted to and visiting them). I'll put up a new list soon. Feel free to add a parenthetical note as to what kind of advice you could offer about a particular program. This could potentially make the list a lot more helpful than I originally envisioned. :)

Here's an expanded version of the list to include programs we've been admitted to but ended up declining. Feel free to add the type of program as well as tags like the following: e.g. #admitted, #visited, #interviewed (and whatever else you can think of that might be helpful) in the order that they occurred, as well as #attending for the one program you ultimately chose. If you'd be willing to impart advice about the visit and interview for a school at which you weren't ultimately admitted, you could add #visited and #interviewed tags next to your username without an #admitted one. The more information we can get onto the list, the more helpful it could potentially be for future applicants (assuming a few of us return to this site at least every now and then). Again, please try to keep the school colors if you can (although for some technical reason, this may not actually be doable...). Also, the range of available font colors is a bit limited so it wasn't always possible to do justice to each school's colors (but I tried!). Several of the added programs you'll see listed below I've put down because I know of users from our community who will be attending them or who were at least accepted to these places and visited them. I found most of them from perusing this season's results page. If you notice that a program is missing, by all means, please add it and your username to the list! Plus on est de fous, plus on rit ! :lol: Thanks for participating, everyone!

UT AUSTIN

UC BERKELEY

JoeySsance, PhD in French #admitted #visited

IU BLOOMINGTON

BROWN

U CHICAGO

COLUMBIA

hcohu, MA in French Cultural Studies in a Global Context #admitted

JoeySsance, PhD in French and Comparative Literature #visited #interviewed #admitted

CORNELL

DUKE

HARVARD

JoeySsance, PhD in Romance Languages and Literatures #admitted #visited #attending

JOHNS HOPKINS

UW MADISON

U MICH ANN ARBOR

MIDDLEBURY

hcohu, MA in French #admitted

NORTHWESTERN

NYU

hcohu, MA in French Language and Civilization, NYU in Paris #attending

OHIO STATE

U PENN

PRINCETON

JoeySsance, PhD in French #admitted

RUTGERS

STANFORD

UCLA

UF

UIUC

USC

UVA

WUSTL

YALE

If this list isn't 100% representative of this season's French admit results, it's probably not terribly far from it! It's possible that most of these programs will go unclaimed since many of them are schools posted by people who weren't active posters on this particular thread. Several folks may not even come back here or even desire to update the list. So consider the current list as close to comprehensive as possible of the many and diverse French programs that Grad Cafe members were admitted to for the Fall 2011 application season. I encourage all of you out there who applied to French programs to contribute to this list. Eventually, we can clear away unclaimed schools to make the list as concise and useful as possible for future applicants. I hope someone out there finds this helpful one day. :) And for those of us who applied this year, it's nice to arrive at some sort of closure after this long, arduous but ultimately (for many of us) rewarding process! :)

Here's an expanded version of the list to include programs we've been admitted to but ended up declining. Feel free to add the type of program as well as tags like the following: e.g. #admitted, #visited, #interviewed (and whatever else you can think of that might be helpful) in the order that they occurred, as well as #attending for the one program you ultimately chose. If you'd be willing to impart advice about the visit and interview for a school at which you weren't ultimately admitted, you could add #visited and #interviewed tags next to your username without an #admitted one. The more information we can get onto the list, the more helpful it could potentially be for future applicants (assuming a few of us return to this site at least every now and then). Again, please try to keep the school colors if you can (although for some technical reason, this may not actually be doable...). Also, the range of available font colors is a bit limited so it wasn't always possible to do justice to each school's colors (but I tried!). Several of the added programs you'll see listed below I've put down because I know of users from our community who will be attending them or who were at least accepted to these places and visited them. I found most of them from perusing this season's results page. If you notice that a program is missing, by all means, please add it and your username to the list! Plus on est de fous, plus on rit ! :lol: Thanks for participating, everyone!

UT AUSTIN

UC BERKELEY

JoeySsance, PhD in French #admitted #visited

IU BLOOMINGTON

BROWN

U CHICAGO

COLUMBIA

hcohu, MA in French Cultural Studies in a Global Context #admitted

JoeySsance, PhD in French and Comparative Literature #visited #interviewed #admitted

CORNELL

DUKE

HARVARD

JoeySsance, PhD in Romance Languages and Literatures #admitted #visited #attending

JOHNS HOPKINS

UW MADISON

U MICH ANN ARBOR

MIDDLEBURY

hcohu, MA in French #admitted

NORTHWESTERN

NYU

hcohu, MA in French Language and Civilization, NYU in Paris #attending

OHIO STATE

U PENN

PRINCETON

JoeySsance, PhD in French #admitted

RUTGERS

STANFORD

UCLA

UF

UIUC

USC

UVA

WUSTL

YALE

If this list isn't 100% representative of this season's French admit results, it's probably not terribly far from it! It's possible that most of these programs will go unclaimed since many of them are schools posted by people who weren't active posters on this particular thread. Several folks may not even come back here or even desire to update the list. So consider the current list as close to comprehensive as possible of the many and diverse French programs that Grad Cafe members were admitted to for the Fall 2011 application season. I encourage all of you out there who applied to French programs to contribute to this list. Eventually, we can clear away unclaimed schools to make the list as concise and useful as possible for future applicants. I hope someone out there finds this helpful one day. :) And for those of us who applied this year, it's nice to arrive at some sort of closure after this long, arduous but ultimately (for many of us) rewarding process! :)

• 1 month later...

Hey forsberg, your interests are really neat! I've noticed that a fair handful of professors deal with 19th and 20th century lit, so you can't go wrong at most of the schools you're considering.

I'm mostly interested in structuralist and post-structuralist thought, mainly of French theorists, but also the German thinkers who influenced them and their branches in American and international critical theory. I started out interested in Michel Foucault and Jacques Derrida which lead to an exploration of Nietzsche, Marx and Freud. Right now I'm most strongly influenced by French psychoanalyst, Jacques Lacan. I'm mostly interested in reconsidering some of the most fundamental axioms of French psychoanalytic theory with regard to the constitution of the subject. I like literary theory but I'm also quite passionate about theory in terms of social critique. My work looks at the intersections between psychoanalytic theory, queer theory and gender studies, race studies, ideology studies and semiotics (to name my biggest influences; admittedly I have a lot of interests when it comes to theory, which has lead to exciting interdisciplinary work so far). I would go into more detail but I'm pretty sure I'd be pinpointing myself rather exactly (if I haven't already)... :P

As for contacting professors, I really don't think it could hurt to contact a specific professor once to let them know you're excited about applying and that you may have a question or two. That being said, the only way contacting professors might hurt you is if you did so too often and without anything important to say or ask. I think I'm going to contact at least one or two departments' DGS because I have a question about the writing sample (for which I can't seem to find the answers on their websites or the schools' at all). By the way, how are you dealing with the fact that the schools we're considering have such varying writing sample requirements? Also, what did your professors say when they advised you against contacting the faculty at the schools to which you're applying?

Salut JoeySsance,

I am new to GradCafe and just came across your discussion while looking up french theory. I am planning to apply at the end of the year for Fall 2012 PhD programs which are strong in French theory, but am honestly rather unsure of whether it would be best to apply to French departments, or other disciplines, such as Anthropology, Philosophy, History (with a focus in Intellectual History), or even Religion. I did my MA at Columbia in Anthropology, where I spent the first year reading philosophy, including a lot of Foucault, Derrida, Lacan, Barthes, Benjamin, Bataille and Agamben. Since my MA (graduated in 2004) I have been working with the United Nations and have been on countless missions, but have continued to read these authors, and have also developed a strong interest in the work of Maurice Blanchot. For my PhD research, I would be keen to trace the genealogies of concepts of Sacrifice, Loss, Mourning, Survival, Memory and Forgetting, from their religio-philosophical roots to their play in contemporary narratives (possibly in post-war contexts). Would like to engage in the question of philosophy of history and language as well.

I would be most interested to hear your advice as well as your opinion of the Harvard program, as I looked at both the French and the History departments at Harvard. Am also considering returning to Columbia, either back to the Anthropology department, to the French department, or possibly even to the department of Religion. Have wondered about Yale as well, as well as Berkeley. Any advice would be very much appreciated, as I would like to narrow down my choices by the end of the summer!

Merci a l'avance.

Salut JoeySsance,

I am new to GradCafe and just came across your discussion while looking up french theory. I am planning to apply at the end of the year for Fall 2012 PhD programs which are strong in French theory, but am honestly rather unsure of whether it would be best to apply to French departments, or other disciplines, such as Anthropology, Philosophy, History (with a focus in Intellectual History), or even Religion. I did my MA at Columbia in Anthropology, where I spent the first year reading philosophy, including a lot of Foucault, Derrida, Lacan, Barthes, Benjamin, Bataille and Agamben. Since my MA (graduated in 2004) I have been working with the United Nations and have been on countless missions, but have continued to read these authors, and have also developed a strong interest in the work of Maurice Blanchot. For my PhD research, I would be keen to trace the genealogies of concepts of Sacrifice, Loss, Mourning, Survival, Memory and Forgetting, from their religio-philosophical roots to their play in contemporary narratives (possibly in post-war contexts). Would like to engage in the question of philosophy of history and language as well.

I would be most interested to hear your advice as well as your opinion of the Harvard program, as I looked at both the French and the History departments at Harvard. Am also considering returning to Columbia, either back to the Anthropology department, to the French department, or possibly even to the department of Religion. Have wondered about Yale as well, as well as Berkeley. Any advice would be very much appreciated, as I would like to narrow down my choices by the end of the summer!

Merci a l'avance.

Hey there! Please forgive me for the delay in responding. I've been getting settled in Cambridge, MA, my new hometown for the next six or so years. We certainly have a neat overlap of interests! Harvard's French department is probably the most theoretical of the departments to which I applied, so I highly recommend it. It seems like you could do a lot of your potential PhD work with Susan Suleiman here and/or with Verena Conley. Berkeley has a wonderful Critical Theory "designated emphasis" (a minor field, if you will) which could greatly enrich your research. Columbia's department is not really as theoretical as Harvard's or Berkeley's, but there is somewhat of a philosophical leaning which you might find helpful. Yale's department is pretty openly non-theoretical so your interests might not be as well-served there. As for applying to other departments, it's really up to you. French departments could be great in terms of your interests, especially ones that encourage interdisciplinary approaches. Like Berkeley, Harvard also has exciting secondary field opportunities (film, comp lit, gender and sexuality studies, etc.). You might like to consider some less traditional departments, like Rhetoric at Berkeley or Modern Thought and Literature at Stanford, to name a few examples that come readily to mind. I would only apply to other departments (e.g. Anthro, Religion, Philosophy, History etc.) if you can tell that they're interdisciplinary-friendly, otherwise, given your intersectional interests, you really might not be as happy in one rigid department. I can definitely give you a more first-hand account of Harvard's program once I start in the fall. Definitely feel free to ask me any further questions you might have. Good luck narrowing down your list! Applying to grad school is, on the whole, an arduous yet very rewarding process (as you're very well aware having done your MA). One last thought (sorry for this desultory response!): your experiences outside of academia have the potential to help your application really stand out! I bet you'll find a fantastic way to tie your work with the UN into your academic interests. Best of luck!