Bloomington, IN

Guest SHELLY

Bloomington is undoubtedly a beautiful town. However I am worried about the big state school party culture. Even in graduate school I am told that most social activities center around drinking. I am not a party/sociable person and I worry that I won't fit in the college town culture.

Bloomington is undoubtedly a beautiful town. However I am worried about the big state school party culture. Even in graduate school I am told that most social activities center around drinking. I am not a party/sociable person and I worry that I won't fit in the college town culture.

Eh, I think this depends on who you choose to hang out with. Some of my grad school friends at IU party, but it's usually in a more controlled and respectful way than your stereotypical out-of-control undergrad party. Often people might meet in bars to chat over drinks or for some special event like karaoke night, but nobody will pay attention to whether you choose alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks. You could also join a social/recreational/hobby club or a church to meet people with mutual interests that don't center on drinking. Chances are, you'll meet many people in your program who are just as serious and focused on their studies as you are, and you'll have enough in common that this won't be a huge deal for you.

My wife and I will be moving to Bloomington this fall. We are hoping to visit in a few weeks to check out potential living arrangements. Does anyone have any recommendations as to specific areas we should target... I'll be in a PhD program in the Business School, not sure where my wife will be working yet. We'll be relocating from Chicago where we are used to having the ability to walk to all sorts of restaurants, shops, bars etc. so we thought living somewhat near downtown would be nice, but we're not sure if that's the best idea. Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Well, most of my info I got from reading here and talking to students. For the most part, I've been told to stay away from the stadium area or north of campus because of football games and loud undergrads. Other than that, I believe any other cardinal direction should be fine. I found a very nice townhome (and also very affordable) about a mile south of campus, a little south of Bryan Park. It's a very nice area with residential homes and it's fairly quiet. From what I've gathered, the west side should also be nice. I personally wouldn't want to be on the east side where you're too close to the mall and there's way too much traffic.

Also, I think much of Bloomington depends on whether you'll have a car or not. The buses run fine, but from my two trips there it seemed that mostly everyone needs a car. Good luck!

On 4/30/2010 at 7:29 PM, tourist said:

Well, most of my info I got from reading here and talking to students. For the most part, I've been told to stay away from the stadium area or north of campus because of football games and loud undergrads. Other than that, I believe any other cardinal direction should be fine. I found a very nice townhome (and also very affordable) about a mile south of campus, a little south of Bryan Park. It's a very nice area with residential homes and it's fairly quiet. From what I've gathered, the west side should also be nice. I personally wouldn't want to be on the east side where you're too close to the mall and there's way too much traffic.

Also, I think much of Bloomington depends on whether you'll have a car or not. The buses run fine, but from my two trips there it seemed that mostly everyone needs a car. Good luck!

Yeah, in my opinion this is pretty much right on. There are some nice small houses for rent south of campus in the Bryan Park area. Living downtown would be cool, although some of the buildings are ridiculously expensive. Like 2-3 times what you'd pay in other parts of town. I disagree on avoiding the east side, though. There are some quiet graduate-friendly apartment complexes along 10th St. on the east side of town, and the 6 bus runs past there every 20 minutes to take you directly to the Kelley School of Business. A lot of grad students in Business and Library Science live in that area of town (complexes include Fountain Park, Woodbridge, Meadow Park, etc.) I agree that you should avoid the College Mall area, though, which would be on the east side of town south of 3rd St. There's a lot of traffic, strip malls, and undergrad-oriented apartments in that area. I don't think it'd be quite as bad as living north of 10th St. near the stadium, but I bet it'd be pretty close.

• 9 months later...

Hellooooo, I just received an e-mail acceptance to IUB. I hope to make a visit ASAP, but was curious about one thing in-particular: My significant other will be moving with me. He is a welder, but says he'll be happy wherever I choose to go as long as he can find a decent paying job. So I was curious if anyone has any ideas about manufacturing industries in or around Bloomington?

Also, how long does it really take to get to and from Indianapolis from Bloomington?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if any of this is redundant, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts about my adopted hometown.

I have lived in Bloomington for six of the past seven years, all attending IU here. The campus is gorgeous April thru October, but you better be prepared for the gross winter. You won't be thinking about all the beauty around you while you're playing hopscotch over rain puddles and ice patches during our too-typical Midwest seasons.

Landlords here can be awful, but there are many that are wonderful. Here are a few thoughts I will throw out there:

I lived with Rara Avis for two years... it's a father-son team that works their butts off on their properties year-round. Super affordable & crazy friendly... if you don't stop them, they'll chat with you for more than 30 minutes. I also lived with Campus Walk for two years, and they are pretty good. They have tons of property in great locations, charge reasonable rent (usually multiple utilities included for <$500/mo.), offer grad student discounts, and have an active full-time maintenance staff. [Do not deal with Terra Trace (14th & Dunn); they are affiliated with Campus Walk thru CRE, but they are terrible.]

I lived with Elkins for one year, and they were not good. They never respond to maintenance requests (busted window locks, inoperable internet, doors falling apart) and then charge you for the repairs from your security deposit on move out. Do not live with Sunshine, nor the Norbu family (married to the Dalai Lama, who has a large presence here in Bloomington). They are slumlords.

The best place to live for quiet and affordable living is south of campus, stretching for as many blocks as you are comfortable commuting. Someone mentioned Bryan Park here, and that's an awesome area of the town. In general, avoid the northern areas around campus, especially around the stadium (17th St). This is Undergrad Land, and maybe you have heard that we have a reputation for Getting Down (#1 party school in the US ten years ago or so). The epicenter of this lifestyle is the Varsity Villas. They are cheap, but they never stop partying.

Email me if you'd like other things answered about the town! I love this place. Good luck and have fun with your studies here. (Cc'ing this to the IUB Admits page as well.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a graduate student starting in the fall, and I have a 65 lb German Shepherd. Does anyone have any experience finding a place with a pet like this? I'd prefer a 1 br around 600/month max.

I know a lot of apartments say they are pet/dog friendly, but they then have breed or weight restrictions. Does anyone have any help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi people!

How is the safety situation like in bloomington and surrounding areas? Is it a safe place? What kind of crimes are common?

I am considering going to IUB so I felt that I should know what the crime risks are in this city.

Usman

How is the safety situation like in bloomington and surrounding areas? Is it a safe place? What kind of crimes are common?

Bloomington is easily one of the safest places I've ever lived in or even visited.

The only instances of "crime" that I can think of... the homeless community, whose members are mostly friendly but have been known to sleep in random spots (outside my apt last summer, for instance); lots of scavengers in the warmer months, mostly busy and won't bother you; and the rare home theft during long breaks. That's it. Zero violent crime, unless you want to brawl at a frat party.

Just this week actually, my girlfriend couldn't sleep one night, so she took a walk around the local neighborhood, the campus, and downtown at around 5 in the morning.

Edited by MCfresca

• 11 months later...

Yeah, I checked out amtrak. They have a station in Bloomington IL but not IN. Flying to Indy will be the best bet--actually, I found out that it will be cheaper flying out of my local regional airport than from the closest international airport (go figure). Ah, being a student on a shoestring budget... Thanks for the suggestion, though :)

There is a bus from Chicago, but I don't think it goes to the airport, so you would need to go to downtown Chicago and then take that bus. Just as @unforth said, your best bet is to fly to Indy. There are two shuttle companies that go from Indy airport to Bloomington (Go Express Travel - formerly known as Bloomington Shuttle -, and Star of America). They're not too pricey and usually you don't have to wait much in the airport for the shuttle. Once in Bloomington, they have several stops, so you can choose which one suits you better.

The main problem with Bloomington (and most of Indiana) is that it is heavily car dependent. The only other way out of town is the airport shuttles that Bumblebee mentioned.

Amtrak has service to Indianapolis once a day from Chicago, but it arrives downtown at midnight, after the shuttles to Bloomington have stopped for the night. Megabus has service from Union Station in Chicago to a parking lot on the east side of downtown, but no connecting service to transportation to Bloomington. When comparing the prices between flying to Chicago or flying to Indianapolis, keep in mind the extras: CTA from O'Hare or Midway to Union Station, cost of the bus to Indianapolis, then the cost of the cab ride from downtown Indy to the airport where you can catch the shuttle bus to Bloomington. Then, ask yourself if the extra time is worth it. You are looking at adding 6-7 hours to your journey this way, while a flight will add an hour of connecting time at the airport and 45 minutes of flight time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Two Graduate Students looking for one more roommate to fill their 3br house. We are a soon to be English PhD student and Russian and Eastern European Masters student. (There will also be a cat.) We are looking for someone who is laid back and social. We are respectful and passionate about our studies but also hope the house will be fun. The house is in a great location. Right on the Eastside of Campus. The number three bus is also right near us which can get you straight downtown or to College Mall if you don't want to walk/bike/drive. The living room is furnished. And the kitchen mostly stocked.

The lease runs August 7th 2012-July 31st 2013

If you are interested please PM a little blurb about yourself and past living experiences.

Edited by Elipschu!

@Elipschu! You may want to try OneStart as well. With the username and pass phrase you created you can go to OneStart. Once there, you go to classifieds and you can post an add there. People moving to Bloomington to study or people changing places usually check there. Good luck!

@Elipschu! You may want to try OneStart as well. With the username and pass phrase you created you can go to OneStart. Once there, you go to classifieds and you can post an add there. People moving to Bloomington to study or people changing places usually check there. Good luck!

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Figured I'd bump this for this year.

Im moving to Bloomington to start my MA next year, but am feeling pretty lost in terms of housing. Anyone have advice about good neighborhoods to live in? I'd prefer not to be in an undergrad neighborhood, but it would be nice to live within biking distance of campus. Also, what are good sites to find apartment-mates in Bloomington? 

Thanks! 

Figured I'd bump this for this year.

Im moving to Bloomington to start my MA next year, but am feeling pretty lost in terms of housing. Anyone have advice about good neighborhoods to live in? I'd prefer not to be in an undergrad neighborhood, but it would be nice to live within biking distance of campus. Also, what are good sites to find apartment-mates in Bloomington? 

Thanks! 

When I visited in March, all the grad students said to stay away from the stadium/north side of campus since that's the undergrad neighborhood. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just graduated, and am moving to Bloomington to work at IU! I've heard the same thing as far as neighborhoods being heavily undergrad populated/Greek around the stadium. Does anyone have some suggestions for must see/dos in Bloomington? I was there for my on-campus interview, but that was only for a couple of days.

Hi studentaffairsgrad! Welcome to Bloomington! For a small city, there really is a ton of stuff going on here and in the surrounding area. What sort of things are you into?

Here are a few of my favorite things:

1.) WonderLab -- This is an awesome science and technology museum that packs a lot of neat hands-on exhibits into a relatively small space. I put off going for a long time because I don't have kids, but when I finally went, I realized it was super fun for all ages.

2.) Bloomington Parks & Recreation -- Parks & Rec sponsors all kinds of fun events and programs, from the Farmer's Market (every Saturday morning from spring to fall -- basically the social event of the week) to painting classes and sports leagues and nature hikes. The quarterly program guide lists all of the things they have going on and also provides descriptions of the numerous parks, playgrounds, and pools spread throughout the city.

3.) Monroe County Public Library -- I know, I know, every city has a public library. But this one is one of the best in the country. The size of the collection isn't overwhelming, yet somehow they almost always have the exact book/DVD/music I want to read/watch/listen to. (I honestly don't know how they do it.) Plus they have all kinds of events and activities, including a summer reading program for adults.

4.) Tons of places to hike -- If you like hiking, there are almost too many options. A few of my favorites are Lake Griffy, Charles Deam Wilderness, Yellowwood, Lake Lemon, and Morgan-Monroe State Forest. The landscape around Bloomington is full of gentle hills, hardwood forests, and small wild critters. Some of these areas are also great for birding, kayaking, and whatever other outdoorsy things you might want to do.

5.) So many delicious restaurants -- Bloomington is a great place to eat. I try new places all the time and still haven't eaten at all the good restaurants. There's a row of international restaurants on Fourth Street (Thai, Indian, Turkish, Tibetan, Burmese, Italian, etc.) within walking distance of campus that usually have good lunch buffets/specials. Hands down, my favorite is the lunch buffet at Taste of India for its superior quality and excellent value. Then there's Nick's, which is a Bloomington tradition known for its delicious pub grub and iconic drinking game Sink the Biz. We have not one but two soup restaurants (Soup's On -- my favorite -- and Darn Good Soup). There's also the annual Taste of Bloomington event in June that showcases different area restaurants to help you find new places you might like.

6.) Cute shops -- Bloomington is known for its locally owned businesses, and there are a lot of neat specialty stores on the square and in the downtown area. A few favorites that come to mind are The Game Preserve (board games, card games, puzzles, and more), JL Waters (camping, fishing, and hiking gear), Indiana Running Company (running shoes and accessories plus expert staff), and Boxcar Books (new and used books).

7.) Music -- The Bluebird brings in great live music. There are also tons of world-class performances through the Jacobs School of Music. In the spring, the Union Board puts on a concert for Little Five (the famous IU bike race), and this year it was Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, which was pretty cool. There are also musical acts that the IU Auditorium brings in as part of their regular season, as well as musicals, comedians, and other notable figures (this year: David Sedaris!).

These are the fun things to see and do in Bloomington that spring to my mind. Are there other things you're interested in knowing more about?

Edited by AwkwardPants