Bloomington, IN

Guest SHELLY

Four miles is probably a little further than I'd like (I personally prefer walking distance), but it's by no means outrageous. Check the bus schedule to see how often your particular bus(es) run. You can use the real-time bus tracker to get a sense of how long it would take to get to campus and how long you might have to wait for a bus. (Make sure you're looking at it on a weekday during the day.) You can also look at the Bloomington transit schedules to see whether your bus(es) run over IU breaks and in the summer, which could be an important factor. And you can check the bike routes and street view on Google Maps to see what your bike commute would look like. Generally people bike all over the place around here, but there are definitely some areas of Bloomington that are more bike-friendly than others.

Does anyone have any suggestions on apartment buildings that tend to have mainly graduate students as opposed to undergrads? It seems like the undergrad section is near the stadium and one previous person mentioned  how graduate students live east of campus by college mall, or just south of campus (between 3rd and 1st street) but the post did not list any specific apartment buildings.

My knowledge of Bloomington is limited to a visit years ago. I will start graduate school in August and have been looking online for one-bedroom apartments. While I will be on a TA salary, I would prefer to spend the extra money for a good living situation- and Bloomington seems affordable compared to the DC area where I have been lately. My focus will be my studies and I would prefer to live some place without undergrads since I will be older even by grad student standards. If anyone has any specific suggestions for apt buildings that are popular with graduate students, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

My fiancee and I both accepted graduate offers for IUB starting this fall (Ph.D econ, woohoo!) and we are looking for more information about bloomington in general.

We are also looking for good housing options for grad students/small families and have been looking hard at Washington terrace and Allen court. Does anyone know anything about these properties?

Also, anyone want to gey together and play sink the biz before programs kick off in august?

If anyone has any specific suggestions for apt buildings that are popular with graduate students, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Fountain Park and Woodbridge are popular with some grad students I know. I'm sure there are a ton more that people can add. Maybe try searching Google for places that offer a grad student discount (normally ~$25 per month). It's definitely not foolproof, but that might give you an idea of which complexes cater to a grad student clientele. If you haven't found this already, the Graduate and Professional Student Organization also has some housing resources for grad students on their website.

I know a Phd student who lives in Meadow Park.  I will be moving into Fountain Park, which is owned by the same management company.  I have kids, so I really needed a washer/dryer IN the unit, which Fountain Park has in their 2 beds/2 bath.  Meadow Park is a lot cheaper for a 2 bed/1 bath though, if you don't need a W/D right inside your place (they have the communal ones on site.)

I've also been warned by multiple people that north of campus and/or near the stadium is very undergrad heavy, so to avoid those areas (since that's not what I'd want!)

• 4 weeks later...

Dear friends, 

Could you please name some of good quality apartments near lindley hall? (a maximum of 45 minutes walk, near bus station, ...)

Does anyone suggest on-campus apartments? 

Dear friends, 

Could you please name some of good quality apartments near lindley hall? (a maximum of 45 minutes walk, near bus station, ...)

Does anyone suggest on-campus apartments? 

I don't know about the apartments near Lindley Hall, but about the on-campus apartments (if you mean the ones on rps.indiana.edu), I have talked to some of the grad students and they said these apartments are pretty good quality-wise but are a bit overpriced (like any on-campus apartment)

It seems quite good for its price and pretty nice, it is not too pricey ( I assume you want a 1BR ) but it is quite far from the campus and SoIC in particular (more than 2KM s) but there are bus routes near it (route 1&4 in this map).

And as for the apartment itself, it has really nice floor plans and according to some reviews it is close to grocery store which is a big plus and also has nice staff which help a lot if maintenance is needed.

But for sure any one who lives in Bloomington or has visited there might be able to give a more insightful opinion.

• 6 months later...

I recently finished my MA program in Bloomington. I have nothing but fantastic things to say about it.

Rent is affordable, but can get a little pricey if you live right near campus. (I notice you live in the Bay, rent might seem absurdly cheap compared to there). Undergraduates tend to live directly north and west of campus, so I would stay away from those areas as they are constantly partying. I highly suggest you live south of campus near Bryan Park. It's pretty mellow and a nice 15-20 minute walk to campus and downtown. My buddies and I rented a three bedroom house in that area for $1200, so it didn't take much out of my monthly stipend. Alternatively, another popular area for graduate students is east of campus at Fountain Park and Woodbridge apartment complexes. 

As for the weather, the winters are pretty darn cold. The city tends to be pretty prepared when it comes to making the roads safe to drive in snow. So snow tires would be entirely up to you, though I think you'd be fine with your SUV. I got a long just fine in my little sedan. IU and the city also has a reliable bus system.

All in all, Bloomington is an awesome, special place. I'm from CA as well, and previously lived in Seattle before I made the move to Indiana. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous I would dread living in the middle of nowhere. I was quickly drawn to its Midwestern charm and easy living life style. Let me know if you have other questions!

Edited by stillalivetui
Extra info

I think stillalivetui mostly covered it, but I'll just throw in an extra plug for it being a fantastically lovely town! I'll really miss it when I leave to wherever I get accepted in the coming months. Probably quieter than CA, depending on where exactly you are (and definitely over semester breaks--it's definitely a college down, and when that huge percentage of undergrad population departs home....very empty summers around campus and downtown; which is actually nice, though), but all around great--and close enough to Indianapolis (1.5 hours), Louisville (2 hours), and even Chicago (4-ish hours) that it's not too hard to get away from the small town vibe for a weekend if you want.

(Oh, and if you're into film, definitely check out the cinema if you end up here. So cool.)

Thank you so much for the great information! I'm just worried about the snow and cold weather more than anything! It looks like there is a lot of nature around which is very appealing. I'm looking forward to a slower pace of life away from the bay area which is traffic most of the day/night and overall jam packed.

Are there vegetarian options at grocery stores? Like Morningstar Farms or tofu?

3 hours ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

Thank you so much for the great information! I'm just worried about the snow and cold weather more than anything! It looks like there is a lot of nature around which is very appealing. I'm looking forward to a slower pace of life away from the bay area which is traffic most of the day/night and overall jam packed.

Are there vegetarian options at grocery stores? Like Morningstar Farms or tofu?

Yes--lots of vegetarian options! Bloomingfoods, the local coop grocery, is pretty fantastic across the board, but there's also Kroger, Lucky's, and Sahara Mart which all also have good vegetarian selections. There's also a weekly farmers market in the warmer months, which is good as well, and very soon we're supposed to be getting a Whole Foods. So yes to Morningstar and tofu, and much more besides. Many many good vegetarian/vegan choices for eating out as well (much love for the Owlery and Rainbow bakery).

And, also yes to lots of nature around: there's a nice little community orchard/garden, a lake and state park, and campus itself is pretty well-tended and wooded: we even sometimes get deer hanging out around class buildings :). 

Edited by haltheincandescent

Excellent! That makes me feel MUCH better about Bloomington being a good fit. I hope I get in and I hope I can go see the campus and surrounding area before making that last acceptance. :) Crossing fingers!!

Thank you all so much for your help!

• 1 month later...

I will be potentially starting a grad program at IU in the fall. I know that finding housing and a neighborhood best suited to me will be an ongoing process after I actually move there. But I wanted to go ahead and see if anyone had any general thoughts about which areas seem to be good for young-ish grad students. I'll be 26, so I don't want to be doing shots with undergrads, but I'm not yet settled down with a family. Somewhere in between.

For example, I went to UNC-Chapel Hill for undergrad and lived there for years after. I would tell someone moving there that Carrboro might be ideal, due to the bike-ability, the adult social scene (not as undergraddy), etc.

Does anyone have any opinions about areas of town or 'scenes' I should check out or avoid? Thanks!

I am a graduate student looking for housing in Bloomington. My stipend is about 18k per year. I was wondering what parts of the city would you recommend me for housing. I love nature and I like sleeping early so I prefer quiet and rustic neighborhoods that are not far from the campus.

4 hours ago, Syas said:

I am a graduate student looking for housing in Bloomington. My stipend is about 18k per year. I was wondering what parts of the city would you recommend me for housing. I love nature and I like sleeping early so I prefer quiet and rustic neighborhoods that are not far from the campus.

I would recommend checking out the neighborhoods directly south of campus. Since you're a fan of 'quiet', look south of 1st street around the Bryan Park area. There are many nice, affordable houses and apartments there to rent, and you shouldn't have trouble finding places looking for a roommate if you are not intending on living alone. Bryan Park is a relaxed little spot and the area is no more than a 20 min walk or 5 min bike ride to campus. The atmosphere is leafy, residential and quite nice.

• 1 month later...

I just received a funding package to IU for roughly 16k a year, and was wondering for any advice on Studio apartments, or small 1 bdr apartments for about $500 per month? I'd like to be walking distance to campus. I don't mind loud noise, but I won't be doing shots with undergrads either. I'm 22, so I don't need to be in a family area either. 

Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On March 28, 2016 at 8:57 AM, mecsansclope said:

I just received a funding package to IU for roughly 16k a year, and was wondering for any advice on Studio apartments, or small 1 bdr apartments for about $500 per month? I'd like to be walking distance to campus. I don't mind loud noise, but I won't be doing shots with undergrads either. I'm 22, so I don't need to be in a family area either. 

Thank you in advance!

I don't think you're going to find a 1 bedroom for $500. It seems at least $600 is more the norm. If you're looking for $500 I think your best bet is to find a 2+ bedroom house or apartment with someone to split the rent.

Does anyone know anything about the town houses on Covenanter (undergrad vs grad students, neighborhood demographics, noise, maintenance/management staff, etc.)? They seem nice but more expensive and further away from campus than Fountain or Meadow Park. But the proximity to College Mall and other stores could be an advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to drop in and say that pics don't do the IUB campus justice (though they come close). I stopped in Bloomington today/tonight to crash at a friend's place on my drive west for the summer, and received a guided stroll through the western part of campus and shopping/restaurant area close to Sample Gates area. Campus is stunning! The area directly west of campus is so well kept, clean, and just looks like a cute little college area. (though I was surprised by the homeless population in the area....mainly because college kids are the last people I'd try to panhandle money from)

I'm still on the fence about what I want to do after my Masters, but luckily IU is one of the few schools with a PhD in my field and would be my top choice if I go that route....I've already geeked out on all of them. Enjoy IU, wish I had more time to check it out during this trip!

• 10 months later...

There are several companies that organize students into groups for apartment or dorm style living in the city and provide furnished rooms. Not many graduate students take advantage of these, however, because as far as I understand they usually house lots of rowdy undergraduates. If you're up for dealing with that though (or can find another graduate student to go in on an apartment with you, perhaps?) it might be something to check out. Many of them are a bit further to campus but run private busses to school. For instance: https://www.americancampus.com/student-apartments/in/bloomington/campus-corner/floor-plans or http://villagemp.com/.

If you're willing to do an unfurnished or partially furnished place (like maybe there's a bed but you have to get the other stuff), you might be able to find places on craigslist or the graduate student professional organization housing board: http://www.indiana.edu/~gpso/resources/housing/. My general recommendation in terms of walkable neighborhoods are the area just south of campus (Elm Heights/Bryan Park) and just west of campus (Prospect Hill/Near West Side). I do know of graduate students who live North of campus, but its by the stadium so it gets kind of noisy. The east side by the mall is fine if you don't mind taking the bus to school and being a bit further from downtown. My first year I found some other graduate students renting a room in a semi-furnished (bed only, pretty much) 3 bedroom house in Bryan Park through craigslist; it was a lot cheaper than living on campus, and I don't think I spent more than $150 on furniture. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all! I pretty much know where to look for housing and what to expect of Bloomington. But, I wanted to bump this thread and see if there's anyone out there looking for roommates.

I'm finding that most of the affordable living options involve splitting a house with fellow students. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Bloomington at the moment and most folks who rent their homes out expect you to come in as a group, rather than renting out individual rooms at a time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any opinion about the Gateway Apartments? It seems to be a very good-looking option, but I didn't find any reviews about it. Is the location good at least?

Edited by qrt

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, qrt said:

Does anyone have any opinion about the Gateway Apartments? It seems to be a very good-looking option, but I didn't find any reviews about it. Is the location good at least?

This complex is practically brand new. I cannot speak to what it is like to live there—I live in a house a few blocks away. Looks like the property is managed by Cedarview Management, who owns one of the fancy downtown apartment complexes on 10th. Honestly, it's on the pricier side for student housing, but it is a decent location. Gateway is close to the bus line, which is a blessing in this town. 

On 4/6/2017 at 3:38 PM, Joasia0429 said:

Hello all! I pretty much know where to look for housing and what to expect of Bloomington. But, I wanted to bump this thread and see if there's anyone out there looking for roommates.

I'm finding that most of the affordable living options involve splitting a house with fellow students. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Bloomington at the moment and most folks who rent their homes out expect you to come in as a group, rather than renting out individual rooms at a time. 

I'm not sure where you're at with registration, etc. but IU students have a in-house classified systems where some students mine for roommates there, so that might be contributing to the trouble you're having with networking with established student residents. (see https://one.iu.edu/ and look for "Classifieds" module—you likely won't be able to use the service until you receive your student credentials, which may not happen until Orientation this fall). FWIW I had a good experience when I moved here just by using Craigslist. You might get lucky, and I recommend living with someone who is from around here or has lived here a few years, if possible. Even if they aren't students!