• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clinical Psychology Applications Fall 2023 Canada

Is it a little early? Yes.

Am I unable to think of anything except in short bursts right now? Also yes. 

I have a list of nine-ish programs that I'm considering applying to, and I'm so anxious! 

Came onto the forum to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me 😅 I'm also feeling anxious but excited!

4 hours ago, bolthammer said:

Is it a little early? Yes.

Am I unable to think of anything except in short bursts right now? Also yes. 

I have a list of nine-ish programs that I'm considering applying to, and I'm so anxious! 

16 hours ago, amy.g.dala said:

Came onto the forum to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me 😅 I'm also feeling anxious but excited!

Right? Everyone in my life is sick of hearing about it haha. I'm so anxious! Success practically seems like a freak occurrence. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys! I'm an incoming Counselling Psychology student but I have been through the process of applying to both clinical & counselling programs twice. I am happy to provide advice/guidance and offer feedback on SOP's over the summer!

Hi everyone! Does anyone have a sense of when people usually reach out to PIs via email ahead of applying? I've heard some mixed opinions, usually sometime in August/September, but curious about what others have heard. Thanks!

Hi y'all! Was anyone able to find the OISE MA in Clinical and Counselling Psych admissions statistics from the past year? Haven't been able to find them anywhere, just the ones through UTSC. Let me know :)

Right now, I have 8-- I was told by my graduate mentor that 7-9 schools is a pretty good amount, but I'm not sure about what others are doing. 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:52 PM, emchata said:

Right now, I have 8-- I was told by my graduate mentor that 7-9 schools is a pretty good amount, but I'm not sure about what others are doing. 

My honours thesis supervisor seemed taken aback when I said 9- she said that was a lot so I'm wondering if it's overkill. But with a >5% success rate it's probably not enough kill...

On 7/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, lemonn said:

Hi everyone! Does anyone have a sense of when people usually reach out to PIs via email ahead of applying? I've heard some mixed opinions, usually sometime in August/September, but curious about what others have heard. Thanks!

Anytime now until late September or so! September is probably the safest bet for when profs will know if they're taking students.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI everyone - there is a very active Discord server for applicants to clinical & counselling psychology programs across North America! I made lots of friends in this server and it was so helpful to me when applying last year. There's plenty of Canadian applicants in here too, as well as a whole channel dedicated to Canada-specific discussions and questions. Definitely recommend joining!

https://discord.gg/2eMyWJrc

Hey everyone! This might be a silly question, but does anyone know how the clinical psychology program works at McGill? I was reading on their website that they do not have a masters program in clinical psychology so I got a little confused. Is it a fast track program or something?

Thanks!

Hi there! 

I was thinking about offering an on-needs-basis sort of "tutor" guidance for anyone applying this year. Is this something anyone would be interested in? 

I applied for the first time last year to 6 schools, got 3 interviews, and two acceptances. I am by no means saying that I am an expert but I know I would have appreciated even more guidance when I was going through the process! I also work at a university affiliated hospital and fortunately was lucky to get a lot of advice from people who review applications that I would love to pass along. 

If you are interested, feel free to message me and we can discuss further! If you think this is a ridiculous idea... well I will also take those comments lol 

Best of luck!! Oh and my first tip would be - its definitely not too early to start in the summer! 

For any undergraduate students looking to apply to clinical/school/counselling psychology, the Canadian Psychological Association has a mentorship program where mentees (undergrads) can connect with current grad students to talk about the application process, interviewing strategies, and their process for getting accepted to grad school (among other things)! Please see this message about the program from CPA below:

"Calling all undergraduate students! We have extended the deadline for mentees to apply to the CPA Student Mentorship Program! Submit your applications by September 5th at 11:59PM EST and don’t miss out on a great opportunity to get involved and learn more about graduate school, career paths, and more! Find out how to apply at cpa.ca/students/mentorship/. If you have any questions or want to send in your application, contact the program coordinator at chairelect.cpastudentsection@gmail.com."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, Happyandhelpful said:

Hi everyone! I know this can be such an exhausting and stressful process! I made a guide to help you through it as well as a tracking sheet with all of the information you’ll need to track along the way. Please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions as well- I love helping students! I just graduated with my clinical psychology degree in 2021

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1288315700/guide-for-applying-to-clinical

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1288338820/applying-to-clinical-psychology-doctoral

The first item you've recommended contains copyrighted material. Most of the articles in the Drive are available for free online so it's unclear as to how you determined $34 CAD is an appropriate price. You may be in violation of copyright laws and honestly, profiting off the work of others is extremely unethical. Also, this is the Canada thread so the $13 CAD spreadsheet you've designed isn't even relevant to most of us.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:13 PM, clinicalpsychrrr said:

Hey everyone! This might be a silly question, but does anyone know how the clinical psychology program works at McGill? I was reading on their website that they do not have a masters program in clinical psychology so I got a little confused. Is it a fast track program or something?

Thanks!

That's correct - it is a fast track program! Some clinical psychology programs in Canada don't have a designated MA program. Since a PhD is required for licensure as a CPA-accredited clinical psychology, many schools (including McGill) offer a 'combined' or 'fast-track' program where students complete one year of work at the masters level and then complete doctoral-level coursework. Even though you are completing masters-level work during your first year, you're still a PhD student.

Hey guys,

I'm new here, this is my first post! 
I wanted to ask - sometimes I email profs and they respond to me that they will be looking forward to read my application, some profs provide me with a generic response & some do not reply. In my email, I introduce myself, express interest in their research, briefly describe my past experience and how it led to develop my interest + attach my resume/CV. 
I am wondering what does it mean if a professor does not respond to my email (over a month)?
Some profs responded with interest , some provided me with a generic response & some did not respond at all. 
I have a list of 13 schools I compiled and I am trying to reduce the number to 9. I feel like the schools where I did not hear back from supervisors should be removed from my list. What do you guys think?Can ignoring an email be a hint that this person is probably not interested?

3 hours ago, ClinicallyPsychedUP said:

Hey guys,

I'm new here, this is my first post! 
I wanted to ask - sometimes I email profs and they respond to me that they will be looking forward to read my application, some profs provide me with a generic response & some do not reply. In my email, I introduce myself, express interest in their research, briefly describe my past experience and how it led to develop my interest + attach my resume/CV. 
I am wondering what does it mean if a professor does not respond to my email (over a month)?
Some profs responded with interest , some provided me with a generic response & some did not respond at all. 
I have a list of 13 schools I compiled and I am trying to reduce the number to 9. I feel like the schools where I did not hear back from supervisors should be removed from my list. What do you guys think?Can ignoring an email be a hint that this person is probably not interested?

It is 100% normal for some PIs not to respond. Whether or not you get a response to your interest email is not a good criterion for narrowing down which schools to apply to. Even when PIs respond to applicant emails, this interaction typically does not influence interview invites and subsequent offers (unless the email is rude or inappropriate). If you want to narrow your list of prospective programs further, prioritize FIT above all else.