• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clinical Psychology Applications Fall 2023 Canada

bolthammer

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, sidxx said:

What schools are you guys applying to? And how is the progress going in terms of working on grad apps?

So far, based on replies from professors I emailed, it looks like I'll apply to 4 schools (UVic, UBC, UTSC, UWindsor). I have been working on some funding proposals and am very very slowly making progress on my personal statement draft. How about you? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 12:45 PM, Paris1045 said:

Does anyone know which OISE PIs are accepting students for the SCCP and CCP programs? I am still not seeing anything on OISE's website. 

https://www.oise.utoronto.ca/home/aphd/faculty-accepting-students-2324-academic-year

Hey friends, was just looking for your advice on if I should apply this year or wait until next year? I applied last year and got denied, my average is currently mediocre at 3.3 however since last year I’ve started  a 1 year BSW program. I will be finished in the spring but I won’t have any marks from the program by the time they look at marks. I am expecting/hoping this will improve my last 2 year average as in the past I have done well in these classes and it bumps many of my lowest marks out. I have gotten more experience as I am completing a counselling and therapy practicum and have spent more time volunteering as a crisis counsellor. I’m just wondering if I should apply this year or wait until next year, money and time is tight so I’m trying to make a good decision. 

I do love social work but honestly have dreamed of doing both! I miss the science of psychology and where I live the pay is almost double for those with a psych degree.

15 hours ago, sidxx said:

Do you have enough psych credits? And is the 3.3 GPA your last two years gpa?

Yes I have enough psych credits and 3.3 is last 2 years but the whole undergrad isn’t much better. With this program and my current projected grades my last 2 years would probably go up to 3.7.

It depends, a lot of schools have a minimum req of 3.7 (in the last two years), so for those I don't think it's worth applying to if you don't meet that cut off. However, it may still be worth applying to ones that don't have that strict requirement if you mention any circumstances that would've hurt your grades. Also, it could be helpful applying so that you know what to expect if you need to reapply next year, it definitely is an easier and less scary process the second time around (and by then you'll have a better draft to work with).

Funny question! The lab I'm interested in at UBC is located at the Vancouver campus. The PI is accepting a clinical psych student, and I even reached out and confirmed with them. However, upon creating an account on the application portal for UBC, it specifically says that the clinical psych MA program is administered at the Okanagan campus, not in Vancouver, and that you should identify Okanagan-based supervisors only. Is this true?? How does this make sense? if anyone can demystify, that would be appreciated!

11 hours ago, amy.g.dala said:

Funny question! The lab I'm interested in at UBC is located at the Vancouver campus. The PI is accepting a clinical psych student, and I even reached out and confirmed with them. However, upon creating an account on the application portal for UBC, it specifically says that the clinical psych MA program is administered at the Okanagan campus, not in Vancouver, and that you should identify Okanagan-based supervisors only. Is this true?? How does this make sense? if anyone can demystify, that would be appreciated!

That's confusing! I'd suggest reaching out to either the PI or the graduate admissions officer to clarify!

On 10/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, sidxx said:

It depends, a lot of schools have a minimum req of 3.7 (in the last two years), so for those I don't think it's worth applying to if you don't meet that cut off. However, it may still be worth applying to ones that don't have that strict requirement if you mention any circumstances that would've hurt your grades. Also, it could be helpful applying so that you know what to expect if you need to reapply next year, it definitely is an easier and less scary process the second time around (and by then you'll have a better draft to work with).

Yeah I would only apply for the ones I meet the requirement with my current grades but this would be my second time applying so I have my statements and everything from last year so very little has changed. Just not sure if it’s worth the credit card debt with only more experience at this point but I guess that’s the risk we take every year.

On 10/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, hopelessbuthoping said:

Yes I have enough psych credits and 3.3 is last 2 years but the whole undergrad isn’t much better. With this program and my current projected grades my last 2 years would probably go up to 3.7.

Unfortunately, the projected grades won't take into effect until next year since your grades for this current academic year will not be factored in to the admission, meaning the GPA that schools will be using is 3.3. While 3.3 is the *minimum* requirement for some school, I don't believe I have met anyone in Canadian Clinical programs who gotten in with that grade. So personally, it might be better to wait until next year once your grades are higher since its very likely your application will get screened out in the first pass before it even reaches the PI's desk. 

They do this mostly because of grade eligibility for external scholarships. They want all applicants to be eligible for things such as CGS-M scholarships which has a minimum 3.7 (last 2 years) requirement. If someone is applying with grades that don't meet that, they will likely very hesistant of admitting that person because it might mean they might have to internally fund that student for their entire 5-6 years in the program.

Edited by psychowannabee