• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clinical Psychology Applications Fall 2023 Canada

bolthammer

11 hours ago, sidxx said:

How is everyone feeling about applying? As someone who is reapplying, I def feel really overwhelmed already

The thing that has really gotten to me is a couple of schools have pushed up their application deadline to 15th November, and it has really thrown me off! That is very soon!

I'm also reapplying and tbh I think it's the last time. I've applied a few times already, and honestly getting in/even an interview is pure luck. Applications have tripled to most schools, while each school accepts like 5 people and the acceptance rate is pathetic. I've been working really hard to improve my application over the last few years and to tailor it to each supervisor, email everyone in advance, get publications and presentations while working research assistant/trial management jobs with no career progression, and I'm tired. I've recently finished some extra undergrad psyc credits, so I do feel its worth applying again since I think it will fill some gaps on my application, but I'm not an early 20s fresh out of undergrad student anymore and if it doesn't happen then okay. If it does happen then even better 😂 but I'm done putting the rest of my life/career on hold for a ridiculous 1-2% acceptance rate.

Yeah that makes sense. Have you interviewed at all over the years? For someone reapplying for the second time, I'm already feeling burnt out so can't imagine how you'd be feeling. Also in terms of earlier deadlines, it's just OISE that's due Nov 15 right?

9 hours ago, emsmith said:

The thing that has really gotten to me is a couple of schools have pushed up their application deadline to 15th November, and it has really thrown me off! That is very soon!

I'm also reapplying and tbh I think it's the last time. I've applied a few times already, and honestly getting in/even an interview is pure luck. Applications have tripled to most schools, while each school accepts like 5 people and the acceptance rate is pathetic. I've been working really hard to improve my application over the last few years and to tailor it to each supervisor, email everyone in advance, get publications and presentations while working research assistant/trial management jobs with no career progression, and I'm tired. I've recently finished some extra undergrad psyc credits, so I do feel its worth applying again since I think it will fill some gaps on my application, but I'm not an early 20s fresh out of undergrad student anymore and if it doesn't happen then okay. If it does happen then even better 😂 but I'm done putting the rest of my life/career on hold for a ridiculous 1-2% acceptance rate.

I can relate to a lot of what you've said ❤️ 

18 hours ago, sidxx said:

Yeah that makes sense. Have you interviewed at all over the years? For someone reapplying for the second time, I'm already feeling burnt out so can't imagine how you'd be feeling. Also in terms of earlier deadlines, it's just OISE that's due Nov 15 right?

Calgary is also Nov 15th (which I think is new this year, it used to be Dec 1st) and Dal is Nov 15th, but I don't think this is new for them. I think most programs are still Dec 1st but it's worth checking for each one you're applying to even if you've applied before. 

I haven't interviewed before, but, my undergrad is in neuroscience and I was missing some "required" courses, like social psych etc. I've been working on them online, and they were "in progress" on my transcripts in prior applications, so I don't think I even made it to the consideration pile if I'm honest. I have a lot of research experience and publications/presentations from my research job, so I know that in other aspects of my application I'm competitive, but I'm hoping since I will meet all of the course requirements this year I will have a little bit more luck.

The good thing about reapplying though is that with each application season you become a little bit better at knowing what you need to prepare, what things programs are looking for, what schools have supervisors in your area of interest, and it's a little bit less stressful... it's still stressful, but you know that you've survived before and you'll survive again! 

On 10/17/2022 at 11:33 PM, sidxx said:

How is everyone feeling about applying? As someone who is reapplying, I def feel really overwhelmed already

I honestly feel like I almost shouldn’t bother. 1-2% success rate is insane. I have a 4.0GPA, 15 years of related experience, and two years of direct research experience with some presentation and publication. And I am 99.9% certain I won’t even get an interview. 

2 hours ago, bolthammer said:

I honestly feel like I almost shouldn’t bother. 1-2% success rate is insane. I have a 4.0GPA, 15 years of related experience, and two years of direct research experience with some presentation and publication. And I am 99.9% certain I won’t even get an interview. 

I find it really difficult to believe that you won't at least get an interview. I know people who have gotten in with worse stats than yours (3.75 cGPA, no pubs/presentations, minimal research experience). 

3 hours ago, Meringue said:

I find it really difficult to believe that you won't at least get an interview. I know people who have gotten in with worse stats than yours (3.75 cGPA, no pubs/presentations, minimal research experience). 

It seems to be a total roll of the dice who gets in or not 😕

I relate a lot to everyone's pain. I'm 27 (28 in January) and have never received an interview. I have 11 conference posters (8 in psychology), 1 pub (outside psychology), 1 submitted (outside psychology), and 3 papers in progress (in psychology), anticipating 2 of them to be summitted by January (too bad not Dec.1st). All the pubs I am first author on, and all but 2 posters I am first author on. Haven't received an interview ever, hopefully this year is it! I'm not getting much response from emails though... I have a cGPA of 3.48 and a A- average in my last two years. So maybe that's a huge NO that nobody is telling me. 

I think the most frustrating thing is that A LOT of labs take students from their own labs. I am seeing over and over and over again that labs are filled with previous honours students, and it makes me want to scratch my eyes out. So if you come from a small university and have no connections to professors in any clinical areas, then it's a lot harder. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I am a current clinical psychology student at UBC-Okanagan 🇨🇦, and I wanted to share this resource that we (the Psychology Graduate Students' Association, the Accessibility, Inclusivity, Diversity, and Equity in Psychology Committee, and current graduate students) have created to help prospective students with their psychological science and clinical psychology applications. 

This resource contains several personal statements and Tri-Council funding applications that were used by current UBC-O graduate students to gain admission into the program/ win national-level awards. We hope in sharing this document that we can reduce inequities in academia, and to increase the transparency of our program's application process. This resource is not meant to be used as an exact template or to be copied exactly, but rather to inspire students to write statements that best showcase their strengths and experiences!

Please share widely to any students you think may benefit from this resource 🙂

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uqy4vTOg1q74mk5evkCK_9JiR67xpNTEZjPBEb4qruA/edit?usp=sharing 

On 10/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, bolthammer said:

On 10/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, BillyBobJoeThorton said:

I think the most frustrating thing is that A LOT of labs take students from their own labs. I am seeing over and over and over again that labs are filled with previous honours students, and it makes me want to scratch my eyes out. So if you come from a small university and have no connections to professors in any clinical areas, then it's a lot harder. 

100% feel alllllllll of this pain. I have literally zero connections in psych in Canada because I moved to the UK for my master's and have been working here ever since... I didn't have the greatest GPA in undergrad, but I'm now 7 years out of undergrad and have a lot more experience and improved my GPA by taking extra courses and doing an MSc, but I feel like my application is still tainted by struggling and not knowing what I wanted to do, or what would be important in the future when I started my BSc. Which is stupid because how many people realistically KNOW what they want to do, and exactly what they need to get there at 18??? Now, I have a lot of conference presentations, 10+ publications, and I know if I applied to pretty much non-clinical PhD program I would be accepted easily - as would most of you - because we are all incredibly qualified and have great experience for research careers... it's just an insanely flawed system and way too many applicants for spaces, and it genuinely is just luck. That doesn't mean people getting in don't deserve it or aren't qualified, we are just ALL very qualified for a position that is supposed to train us to do research - which we are all already doing...

I've perked up a bit about applications and I feel a little excited again after speaking to a couple of people who have recently finished their clinical PhDs and have had good experiences and are happy in their new careers/internships - it was really uplifting after being so discouraged for a while. 

There has to be some sort of balance out there between being discouraged and ready to quit a losing battle and move on to other possibilities (there are so many great career options out there that are equally fulfilling, interesting, and some even better paid...) and also excited about the potential opportunities if our application happens to be the one selected... 

Edited by emsmith

5 minutes ago, emsmith said:

Now, I have a lot of conference presentations, 10+ publications, and I know if I applied to pretty much non-clinical PhD program I would be accepted easily

Sorry, I also want to just clarify, I am nearly 30 and work in an active research group - please don't compare yourself, this is not achievable if you are recently out of undergrad or have been working other jobs - I didn't mean for this to sound discouraging or boastful... I was trying to say it's important to recognize that whatever your experiences, you probably are a competitive applicant and you should recognize that - and other areas of research/other careers probably would appreciate your experiences more than this one. 

3 hours ago, clin.psyc.applicant said:

Hey everyone! I am a current clinical psychology student at UBC-Okanagan 🇨🇦, and I wanted to share this resource that we (the Psychology Graduate Students' Association, the Accessibility, Inclusivity, Diversity, and Equity in Psychology Committee, and current graduate students) have created to help prospective students with their psychological science and clinical psychology applications. 

This resource contains several personal statements and Tri-Council funding applications that were used by current UBC-O graduate students to gain admission into the program/ win national-level awards. We hope in sharing this document that we can reduce inequities in academia, and to increase the transparency of our program's application process. This resource is not meant to be used as an exact template or to be copied exactly, but rather to inspire students to write statements that best showcase their strengths and experiences!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uqy4vTOg1q74mk5evkCK_9JiR67xpNTEZjPBEb4qruA/edit?usp=sharing 

This is a great resource, thank you for sharing!

Hi friends, just thought I would say hi as I have followed these threads for the past few years but never posted! This fall is my third application cycle (applied in fall 2019, fall 2021, and now, fall 2022) and although I am hopeful I am also drained with the app process. I am applying to 6 schools and I find it challenging to stay on top of all of the apps with all of their very specific requirements. Some schools seem to have quite simple app processes with a statement of intent, transcripts, CV, references, whereas others have all these boxes to "streamline" the information from a statement of intent. 

I noticed today, for instance, that Dalhousie has removed 2 of their requirements to the clinical program. Yesterday when I checked there were 11 (including a CV and a JEDI/diversity statement). As of today there are only 9 and those two have been excluded. I'm glad I checked because otherwise the plan for today was to work on the diversity statement. 

I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck with this application season. Our dedication, perseverance, and passion for our field is unique - even just applying shows how much we care about psychology and the helping professions!

EDIT: I emailed Dalhousie and they are still requiring a CV and diversity statement, for some reason the website was changed by the Registrar's office. 

Edited by squirrelgirl
New Information

21 hours ago, clin.psyc.applicant said:

This was very helpful thank you!

On 10/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, emsmith said:

This is exactly how I'm feeling. This is my 4th time applying (although to be fair, I only applied to one school the first time - a mistake). The thing here is that I've already been working professionally for nearly 4 years now...and to be honest, I've got a pretty good gig going and fairly good career prospects if I stay here. It's getting less and less feasible to put my entire life on hold when ideally I would like to be reaching certain life milestones at this point, like a permanent residence or even a family. Really the only thing that's keeping me in the process is my passion for it, which comes at the expense of a lot. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I'm feeling a similar way, and it really is a grueling process. Hang in there - maybe this time will be the charm for both of us!

Hey all. I've got a question around appropriateness - my situation is that I applied to SFU last year for the forensic track and was next on the waitlist. The prof I interviewed with was lovely, courteous, and supportive, and made sure to tell me in emails that I was ranked highly and that he doesn't see how I could improve my application (just for context that there's good rapport between myself and this prof). I emailed him again this year to ask if he had space for a grad student again and he said he would be very happy if I put him down as a supervisor on my application. 

My feeling here is this - SFU for clinical forensic psych is my top choice and I would like so badly to work with this specific prof. I feel like it is my best chance at the moment and it's exactly what I would like to do. So I'm feeling very stressed out at the thought of applying again and not getting it - more so even than the other 3 application cycles. Would it be inappropriate to subtly inquire with this prof about whether he thinks it would be a good fit/whether my interview last cycle will be taken into account for this cycle? I just feel that it will be very hard emotionally to get too hopeful about this one and then have it not work out. 

I need some perspective here because I'm feeling a bit desperate and think I might need to snap myself out of it, haha :P

Hi everyone, 

This is my second year applying. I only applied to Western and Guelph last year. This year I decided to apply to as many as I can. In total I'm applying to 1 clinical and 7 counselling programs. I am really overwhelmed as I just started emailing professors. I was feeling really discouraged till now. My cgpa is about 3.7 and my last two years 3.9. I have published two papers and have some counselling related experience. I also feel the same way as everyone! So tired of applying.