• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clinical Psychology Applications Fall 2023 Canada

bolthammer

17 hours ago, babooshka said:

My feeling here is this - SFU for clinical forensic psych is my top choice and I would like so badly to work with this specific prof. I feel like it is my best chance at the moment and it's exactly what I would like to do. So I'm feeling very stressed out at the thought of applying again and not getting it - more so even than the other 3 application cycles. Would it be inappropriate to subtly inquire with this prof about whether he thinks it would be a good fit/whether my interview last cycle will be taken into account for this cycle? I just feel that it will be very hard emotionally to get too hopeful about this one and then have it not work out. 

I need some perspective here because I'm feeling a bit desperate and think I might need to snap myself out of it, haha :P

I totally get where you're coming from, but generally I would say that an interview in a previous year doesn't guarantee an interview this year - Your potential supervisor might remember you and root for you, but I think it depends on the committee/other applicants/other factors within the selection process. 

I don't know if it would necessarily be inappropriate to ask, but I also don't know if it will help/give you a satisfying answer.

All that being said, I've never gotten an interview, so what do I know 😂

2 hours ago, emsmith said:

I totally get where you're coming from, but generally I would say that an interview in a previous year doesn't guarantee an interview this year - Your potential supervisor might remember you and root for you, but I think it depends on the committee/other applicants/other factors within the selection process. 

I don't know if it would necessarily be inappropriate to ask, but I also don't know if it will help/give you a satisfying answer.

All that being said, I've never gotten an interview, so what do I know 😂

Thanks for the perspective - you're right! I'm always curious about how much influence individual faculty members have. Crossing my fingers! Rooting for you getting an interview this year :)

21 hours ago, babooshka said:

Hey all. I've got a question around appropriateness - my situation is that I applied to SFU last year for the forensic track and was next on the waitlist. The prof I interviewed with was lovely, courteous, and supportive, and made sure to tell me in emails that I was ranked highly and that he doesn't see how I could improve my application (just for context that there's good rapport between myself and this prof). I emailed him again this year to ask if he had space for a grad student again and he said he would be very happy if I put him down as a supervisor on my application. 

My feeling here is this - SFU for clinical forensic psych is my top choice and I would like so badly to work with this specific prof. I feel like it is my best chance at the moment and it's exactly what I would like to do. So I'm feeling very stressed out at the thought of applying again and not getting it - more so even than the other 3 application cycles. Would it be inappropriate to subtly inquire with this prof about whether he thinks it would be a good fit/whether my interview last cycle will be taken into account for this cycle? I just feel that it will be very hard emotionally to get too hopeful about this one and then have it not work out. 

I need some perspective here because I'm feeling a bit desperate and think I might need to snap myself out of it, haha :P

Im not sure if the previous interview would be considered this time around outside of the fact that the professors may know you already and have a sense of you  (which never hurts). But I just want to say that you will 100% not get into any school/program you don't apply to! It honestly never hurst to apply and at least give yourself the chance if that is what your aspiration in life is! Rejection hurts.... but never knowing is worse in my opinion. You got this! 

I just want to say good luck to everyone! Remember, that just applying is in itself an accomplishment. These programs are not easy to get into and many factors are at play. It is not a matter of "if" you will get in but a matter of "when" you will get in! Continue to live life in the meantime and work towards your goals if possible. For instance, I completed my masters in 2018 and am currently near completion of registration as Psychological Associate with the CPO. I continue to volunteer my time in research where I can and engage in various clinical workshops and training. My goal is to be a clinical psychologist, so I will continue to apply, but I will also continue to strive in life in other areas. From what I see, we just go to be persistent! Which I get is not always the easiest, especially if you take rejection personally. 

This is my second time applying to Clinical Psychology PhDs. The first cycle I only applied to one school. This year I only applied to two schools. My interests are very focused and I will only commit to research I am interested in and go to school in Ontario as I have a family to consider as well. It definitely does not feel good to think that all this work could not lead to my goals, but I just got to hope that one year it will be the perfect match and cycle for me! Every year we apply we only improve our applications, especially if we continue with research and clinical practice. You Got This! Just keep going :)

On 11/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, PhD_Psych_Hopeful said:

I just want to say good luck to everyone! Remember, that just applying is in itself an accomplishment. These programs are not easy to get into and many factors are at play. It is not a matter of "if" you will get in but a matter of "when" you will get in! Continue to live life in the meantime and work towards your goals if possible. For instance, I completed my masters in 2018 and am currently near completion of registration as Psychological Associate with the CPO. I continue to volunteer my time in research where I can and engage in various clinical workshops and training. My goal is to be a clinical psychologist, so I will continue to apply, but I will also continue to strive in life in other areas. From what I see, we just go to be persistent! Which I get is not always the easiest, especially if you take rejection personally. 

This is my second time applying to Clinical Psychology PhDs. The first cycle I only applied to one school. This year I only applied to two schools. My interests are very focused and I will only commit to research I am interested in and go to school in Ontario as I have a family to consider as well. It definitely does not feel good to think that all this work could not lead to my goals, but I just got to hope that one year it will be the perfect match and cycle for me! Every year we apply we only improve our applications, especially if we continue with research and clinical practice. You Got This! Just keep going :)

Thanks for the kind and supportive words! :)It really is sometimes a matter of perseverance, and the road can be pretty tough. Hoping everyone is taking care of themselves this year! 

I am a bit surprised at how few posts there are this year...wondering if there might be fewer applicants. I went over to the discord server and it doesn't seem like there is much going on there either. Really curious to know how this year will pan out.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:44 PM, babooshka said:

Thanks for the kind and supportive words! :)It really is sometimes a matter of perseverance, and the road can be pretty tough. Hoping everyone is taking care of themselves this year! 

I am a bit surprised at how few posts there are this year...wondering if there might be fewer applicants. I went over to the discord server and it doesn't seem like there is much going on there either. Really curious to know how this year will pan out.

It's so quiet around here! I feel like last year and the year before there were pages and pages of posts. I wonder why that is?

Hi All! Below is information about a great opportunity to hear from current clinical psychology PhD students about how to interview for grad school. Details are posted on the CU Boulder website: https://www.colorado.edu/clinicalpsychology/graduate-program/prospective-students

Join a zoom panel/Q&A on how to interview for clinical psychology PhD programs on Thursday, December 8, 2022 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. MST. Current CU Boulder clinical psychology PhD students will be providing interview tips before opening it up to Q&A.

You can join at this link: 
https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/91000748976

54 minutes ago, clinicalpsychhopeful5 said:

Is anyone else confused about McMaster RCT? When I reached out to three potential supervisors in October, they all said they would be reviewing applications for 2023, but when I tried to start my application, the website says, "Currently there are no spots available in the RCT program for the 2023/2024 academic year". 

I haven’t seen where it says that! I already applied and had no difficulties. Also went to an open house for a couple supervisors so they must certainly be taking students.

14 hours ago, clinicalpsychhopeful5 said:

Is anyone else confused about McMaster RCT? When I reached out to three potential supervisors in October, they all said they would be reviewing applications for 2023, but when I tried to start my application, the website says, "Currently there are no spots available in the RCT program for the 2023/2024 academic year". 

I also just noticed that this morning when I was working on my application for the RCT program. I have spoken with several prospective PIs and they have all said they would be accepting students for the 2023-2024 academic year, so I'm very confused. 

Though I'm certainly not starting all my applications now, I'm trying to last minute add McMaster to my list of schools. Does anyone know if the list of McMaster potential supervisors is accurate for 2023 admission? It seems very similar to last years list and I'm not sure if the "invitation" is for incoming year or application year.

Edited by Prodigital

19 minutes ago, Prodigital said:

Though I'm certainly not starting all my applications now, I'm trying to last minute add McMaster to my list of schools. Does anyone know if the list of McMaster potential supervisors is accurate for 2023 admission? It seems very similar to last years list and I'm not sure if the "invitation" is for incoming year or application year.

Yes, I think it is for the most part. Anyone in particular? I could let you know since I emailed a bunch

3 minutes ago, sidxx said:

how is it going for everyone? did you submit any apps yet?

submitted all 5 of my apps last sunday/monday! everything for CGS-M was submitted on tuesday. Feeling an immense amount of relief that I dont have to focus on these apps anymore! Seriously, I started my SOP back in June lol. It's my first time applying so im excited to hear back in jan/feb hopefully 🤞

16 minutes ago, sidxx said:

jheez, how did you get everything done so quickly?

a few of my schools wouldnt notify referees or allow them to upload their LOR until i submitted the application altogether.... to give people enough time before Dec 1 deadline, I just got them all over with. Very very stressful though lmfao. How's it going for you? :)