Chicago, IL

basille

5 hours ago, andvoyages said:

Ahh thank you! I was kind of worried because I heard that grad students from Chicago schools have gone on strike to ask for more salary.

Thank you so much for the information! I'm trying to get somewhere closer since I don't know how to drive. ? I heard that the commute is good but I'm female and will be alone in the city so I still want to live somewhere closer to the campus so I don't have to commute late at night. 

One of the reasons UIC grad students went on strike was because the minimum yearly salary was $18,000, which is absolutely ridiculous in Chicago. I make about $25,000 before taxes right now, and it's doable.

Yeah, I get that. The times I've felt unsafe were walking through empty streets later at night, so being closer to campus or closer to well-trafficked areas could help.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 4:31 AM, Liquirizia said:

Ask and you shall receive. I grew up in Chicago area so I can try to help you.

I am just curious about the city overall. I am an international-potential student. I was accepted into a school in Chicago and it's one of my top choices, however, sadly it's not that easy to visit at this time. I want to know about transport, safety, scenery-or not, weather and living there I guess. I know that's too broad but whenever I google it's either too negative or too positive (which is understandable as people have different opinions) but I'd like a general idea of it as a city. Also I know it's very cold there- are seasons other than winter manageable? 

1 hour ago, Ememem said:

I am just curious about the city overall. I am an international-potential student. I was accepted into a school in Chicago and it's one of my top choices, however, sadly it's not that easy to visit at this time. I want to know about transport, safety, scenery-or not, weather and living there I guess. I know that's too broad but whenever I google it's either too negative or too positive (which is understandable as people have different opinions) but I'd like a general idea of it as a city. Also I know it's very cold there- are seasons other than winter manageable? 

Congrats on the acceptance! That is so exciting, especially for it being a top choice! 

I know it is hard not getting to visit the city. (Currently dealing with the same issue actually.) The experience gives so much precious information that doesn't transmit well over the internet. As you mentioned, the internet can also be quite polarizing. I will do my very best to give a fair answer. While I am a native, I've lived in other places (including abroad), which has informed my opinion of Chicago to be less biased.

As an international student, you should feel at home. Chicago is so diverse! You can find food from anywhere, friends from anywhere, etc. It's truly a treasure.

Transportation - honestly some of the best you will find across the US. It's called the CTA and the trains are specifically called the "L" because it runs in a Loop. The red and blue line runs 24/7 and they cover a lot of the city. The other lines run roughly 4am to 1 or 2am. The blue line takes you to/from to O'Hare airport. They are very reliable and come often. Transferring lines is generally very simple, occasionally you might have to leave a station to cross the street to get to another station, not typical though. The buses are great too. A lot of people are scared of them because they're "more dangerous." But that is just not true. They have lots of different schedules though. You can check it out: https://www.transitchicago.com/

Safety - ugh, this is a tough one. It is a city, and like any city there is crime. There was a brief interlude where we were the murder capital of the US, but honestly, if you avoid certain areas, take precautions/be aware of your surroundings, don't do stupid stuff (like get blackout drunk and wander alone at night), etc. you'll be fine. If U Chicago is the school you're going to, stick to campus. The surrounding areas can be a little dangerous at times. We can get into this more if you like. It's truly no different than living in other major cities though in terms of safety. Owning pepper spray never hurts (you).

Scenery - some of the most beautiful architecture the US has to offer. Lots of gorgeous skyline views. However, there is a serious lack of nature. We have no mountains or even hills. There is Lake Michigan which is a major attraction in the summer (but also beautiful in winter). You can enjoy the beach or kayak on the Chicago River. There is a nice bike/run path along the lake (Lake Front Trail or LFT). There are some nice parks scattered throughout the city. Lincoln Park being the biggest, I think. Not sure what other scenery you are interested in, but let me know.

Weather - it has the lake effect so there will be more snow than other parts of Illinois in winter. It has big temperature swings. It's very cold in the winter (sub 0F a few days, not often) and very hot in the summer (highs in the 90's F a few days, not so often). We joke a lot about how sometimes we skip fall or spring because it goes from freezing to warm in a matter of days without easing into the seasonal change. Overall, the weather is very manageable all year round. Winters aren't that bad unless maybe you've never experienced winter before.

General notes - Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the US, but one of the more affordable cities. NY and LA are notoriously expensive. You can find some cheap rent in certain neighborhoods. I lived in Rogers Park, and my rent was 750 for a 2 bdr. Groceries aren't absurdly pricey unless you shop at certain places like Whole Foods. You can find good prices at small family-owned grocery stores. It's a bike-able city, some areas less than others, though. There is plenty to do in Chicago in terms of activities/events. Lots of concert venues, museums, theaters, etc. Ice skating in the winter, Lollapalooza and the Taste of Chicago in the summer. Typical city stuff.

It's also a spread out city. It's shape is a big rectangle along the lake with an easy to navigate grid system. 

Please don't hesitate to ask follow up questions. I'm happy to help. ?

Edited by Liquirizia

7 hours ago, Liquirizia said:

Congrats on the acceptance! That is so exciting, especially for it being a top choice! 

I know it is hard not getting to visit the city. (Currently dealing with the same issue actually.) The experience gives so much precious information that doesn't transmit well over the internet. As you mentioned, the internet can also be quite polarizing. I will do my very best to give a fair answer. While I am a native, I've lived in other places (including abroad), which has informed my opinion of Chicago to be less biased.

As an international student, you should feel at home. Chicago is so diverse! You can find food from anywhere, friends from anywhere, etc. It's truly a treasure.

Transportation - honestly some of the best you will find across the US. It's called the CTA and the trains are specifically called the "L" because it runs in a Loop. The red and blue line runs 24/7 and they cover a lot of the city. The other lines run roughly 4am to 1 or 2am. The blue line takes you to/from to O'Hare airport. They are very reliable and come often. Transferring lines is generally very simple, occasionally you might have to leave a station to cross the street to get to another station, not typical though. The buses are great too. A lot of people are scared of them because they're "more dangerous." But that is just not true. They have lots of different schedules though. You can check it out: https://www.transitchicago.com/

Safety - ugh, this is a tough one. It is a city, and like any city there is crime. There was a brief interlude where we were the murder capital of the US, but honestly, if you avoid certain areas, take precautions/be aware of your surroundings, don't do stupid stuff (like get blackout drunk and wander alone at night), etc. you'll be fine. If U Chicago is the school you're going to, stick to campus. The surrounding areas can be a little dangerous at times. We can get into this more if you like. It's truly no different than living in other major cities though in terms of safety. Owning pepper spray never hurts (you).

Scenery - some of the most beautiful architecture the US has to offer. Lots of gorgeous skyline views. However, there is a serious lack of nature. We have no mountains or even hills. There is Lake Michigan which is a major attraction in the summer (but also beautiful in winter). You can enjoy the beach or kayak on the Chicago River. There is a nice bike/run path along the lake (Lake Front Trail or LFT). There are some nice parks scattered throughout the city. Lincoln Park being the biggest, I think. Not sure what other scenery you are interested in, but let me know.

Weather - it has the lake effect so there will be more snow than other parts of Illinois in winter. It has big temperature swings. It's very cold in the winter (sub 0F a few days, not often) and very hot in the summer (highs in the 90's F a few days, not so often). We joke a lot about how sometimes we skip fall or spring because it goes from freezing to warm in a matter of days without easing into the seasonal change. Overall, the weather is very manageable all year round. Winters aren't that bad unless maybe you've never experienced winter before.

General notes - Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the US, but one of the more affordable cities. NY and LA are notoriously expensive. You can find some cheap rent in certain neighborhoods. I lived in Rogers Park, and my rent was 750 for a 2 bdr. Groceries aren't absurdly pricey unless you shop at certain places like Whole Foods. You can find good prices at small family-owned grocery stores. It's a bike-able city, some areas less than others, though. There is plenty to do in Chicago in terms of activities/events. Lots of concert venues, museums, theaters, etc. Ice skating in the winter, Lollapalooza and the Taste of Chicago in the summer. Typical city stuff.

It's also a spread out city. It's shape is a big rectangle along the lake with an easy to navigate grid system. 

Please don't hesitate to ask follow up questions. I'm happy to help. ?

Thank you so much for the thorough response. It really means a lot that you took the time to write all this. Okay so I am from Dubai so of course 90% of other countries (or at least the ones I've been to) are too cold for me haha, so I think this is something I will have to live with, and I do come from a city, so I guess the scenery is more like a park to walk and spend time rather than a hills and mountains (even though that is also nice). It sounds great from what you've described, let's hope things work out. 

As for university campus, its actually School of the Arts Institute of Chicago, is the area around there safer (than U of Chicago)? 

Also good luck with your move, are you moving for school or a job or other reasons? Either way hoping all works out, I think it's a little challenging nowadays but hopefully things improve by the end of the year.

Thank you ?

4 hours ago, Ememem said:

Thank you so much for the thorough response. It really means a lot that you took the time to write all this. Okay so I am from Dubai so of course 90% of other countries (or at least the ones I've been to) are too cold for me haha, so I think this is something I will have to live with, and I do come from a city, so I guess the scenery is more like a park to walk and spend time rather than a hills and mountains (even though that is also nice). It sounds great from what you've described, let's hope things work out. 

As for university campus, its actually School of the Arts Institute of Chicago, is the area around there safer (than U of Chicago)? 

Also good luck with your move, are you moving for school or a job or other reasons? Either way hoping all works out, I think it's a little challenging nowadays but hopefully things improve by the end of the year.

Thank you ?

Of course! It's my pleasure. Ah, Dubai, that will be a bit of adjustment in terms of winter! I think a lot of winter is actually mental. You can get through it by staying positive and wearing warm clothes. The Scandinavians say, "There's no bad weather, just bad clothes." For me, that's very true. My suggestions would be wearing "long underwear" under your pants and wearing lots of layers - you can always take layers off if you're too warm. Better safe than sorry. Also, it can be windy in Chicago any time of year. So windbreakers make a great layer.

That's good the scenery suits you. Many of my friends come from mountainous places, and they always complain how flat Illinois is! 

Lucky for you, your school is in the heart of downtown. It's very safe there. You'll be very close to Millenium Park and the museums. It's a nice area. It's busy during the day with working people and tourists but gets fairly quiet at night. Perhaps you're biggest danger could be someone trying to pickpocket you. I feel like they usually target teenagers on their phones though.

Thank you! I'm moving for grad school, too. Haven't decided which school yet (still waiting to hear back on a few more). But regardless, I'm getting out of Illinois! Very likely to be the west coast. ? 

Wishing you lots of success in the move and in school!

On 2/25/2021 at 7:17 PM, Liquirizia said:

Of course! It's my pleasure. Ah, Dubai, that will be a bit of adjustment in terms of winter! I think a lot of winter is actually mental. You can get through it by staying positive and wearing warm clothes. The Scandinavians say, "There's no bad weather, just bad clothes." For me, that's very true. My suggestions would be wearing "long underwear" under your pants and wearing lots of layers - you can always take layers off if you're too warm. Better safe than sorry. Also, it can be windy in Chicago any time of year. So windbreakers make a great layer.

That's good the scenery suits you. Many of my friends come from mountainous places, and they always complain how flat Illinois is! 

Lucky for you, your school is in the heart of downtown. It's very safe there. You'll be very close to Millenium Park and the museums. It's a nice area. It's busy during the day with working people and tourists but gets fairly quiet at night. Perhaps you're biggest danger could be someone trying to pickpocket you. I feel like they usually target teenagers on their phones though.

Thank you! I'm moving for grad school, too. Haven't decided which school yet (still waiting to hear back on a few more). But regardless, I'm getting out of Illinois! Very likely to be the west coast. ? 

Wishing you lots of success in the move and in school!

Thank you again!! Really this is so reassuring if all works out and I love that saying, makes sense. 

Thank you so much for the time you put into helping me and giving advice to the stranger on the internet. Wishing you the best of luck with your move, studies and everything. Hope you hear some good news from these schools. Best of luck, you're a very kind person. ???

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 8:41 AM, UndergradDad said:

Looking at 3 different Chicago area Universities and wondering if any of these are in a safer area than the others?

They are:

Northwestern

Loyola

Depaul

Any input would be appreciated!

Northwestern - very safe (mostly). It's actually not in Chicago (unless you're going to their downtown campus in Streeterville area.) It's in a rich suburban town that feels very city-like called Evanston. I would watch out for where the Red Line ends at the Howard Stop - that part of town can be rough. Also, Streeterville is fairly safe, one of the more expensive parts of the city to live. 

Loyola - safe. This is in Roger's Park (plus a downtown campus for law?) - just south of Evanston. So be wary of the Howard area, as mentioned above. I lived in Rogers Park for a time and never felt unsafe, even though there were some random, brutal shootings of pedestrians. (A gunman just going up to a guy walking his dog and shooting him execution style). That happened in the park where I go running, but I didn't blink an eye. There was often police in the park thereafter. The areas closest to Loyola feel very nice and homey - it's a lot of students (not just Loyola students) mixed with regular Chicagoans of all backgrounds.

De Paul - Lincoln Park with a downtown campus. Lincoln Park is a very popular, fun, nice neighborhood. I'd say it's pretty safe. Can't go wrong. 

Please, take all this with a grain of salt. Chicago is a city and every neighborhood has crime. Some more than others, but crime exists everywhere. It's a simple fact. I could tell you stories of crime in each of the above neighborhoods but that doesn't mean you should completely avoid them. They're still safe. Bad things happen everywhere is my point.

However, if you're vigilant and know basic tricks to avoid becoming a target, living in any city (anywhere in the world), you'll be fine. For example, don't leave a bag sitting in your car in plain view - your window will get broken and the bag stolen, whether the car is parked (and you're absent) or you're present in the car driving and at a stoplight. Street smarts are make all the difference. 

TLDR: Northwestern & De Paul are very safe. Loyola is just safe.