Washington, DC and Maryland suburbs

Guest c2d2

I loved living in DC. I got my masters from GW, just finished in December, and lived south of Logan Circle. Rent is pretty high in the city, especially if you want a studio or your own apartment. I paid 1350 a month including utilities to have my own master bedroom in an apt with 2 other people. The place was furnished, which was great, and the lease was month to month, so I wasn't forced into a year long lease with a credit check and all of that. Plus the landlord had set up a nice social community so I often went to potlucks, study sessions, and oer events in the building. Where I was living I could walk to any metro line within 15 minutes. Actually, if you want to know more about the housing situation, I can put you in contact with my former landlord if you pm me.

You don't need a car in the city. I think it would be a nightmare having one just because people in DC don't know how to drive. Red lights and stop signs are ignored by commuters and taxi drivers. But DC is incredibly walkable. I lived 1.5 miles from GW and found myself walking most of the time if the weather was decent. The circulator bus is the best bet though, since it costs 1 dollar with a smarttrip card with transfers within 2 hours. Plus the line to AdMo runs til the bars close on fri and sat nights.

Nightlife in DC is great. No matter what your style is, you can find something in DC. I joined a kickball league too and made several friends that way. NAKID kickball...and no we do not play naked. Definitely gives your something to do on a Sunday after bottomless mimosa brunch.

Edited by Anthronerd

I'm considering both UMD-College Park and Catholic University of America. I have attempted roommates and it's really... just doesn't work for me. Granted, that was undergrad and we were both living in the same room. I would like a one bedroom or a studio but not sure if I'll be able to afford one.

I also will have a car so driving isn't that big of an issue minus parking at College Park is a nightmare (even in the summer when I visited). Any suggestions for neighborhoods? Or better yet, if I wanted a studio somewhat near (less than an hour commute) Catholic or College Park, what would it cost me a month, abouts?

It depends what your goals are, so maybe you can post those or feel free to message me. If you want to be able to go out in DC in terms of nightlife, having a good time, etc., then there are very different neighborhoods than if you want to be near one of those two schools. The general rule is that off the Metro line is cheaper than on, but, again, that will come down to if you want to go out in DC or not. Nothing should really be an hour commute to either of those places if you are on a Metro line, unless you want to live in Virginia, which I wouldn't suggest at all. (For example from say Columbia Heights to College Park is probably 30 minutes and it's about the same by bus or Metro to Catholic)

The area around Catholic will be cheaper since it's not as nice as College Park as well, so that' something you have to decide on as well. As for prices, well it really depends on neighborhoods. But anywhere from 1200-2000 a month somewhere in DC would be about normal depending again on neighborhoods.

@Double Shot -

I want to be able to not have to drive more than 10-15 minutes for a nice size grocery store. Entertainment I'm not so worried about since I'll have a car and can get away from the city if I want. That, and I'm not a big nightlife person. I do want to be in a relatively "safe" neighborhood since I imagine there will be many a night I'm coming home when it's dark.

I also want to have a non-sketchy apartment with laundry facilities somewhere in the building. Parking would be awesome since I'm terrible (read: I basically can't) at parallel parking but I understand that's pretty unreasonable in the city.

I've heard College Park apartments - actually the whole Maryland side - are really run down and not very worth living in.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, cool that narrows it down quite a bit then and this is assuming you want to go to MD (I can answer CU specific questions if you have those too).

If you aren't concerned with getting into DC itself all that often to go out then the thing to do is to be somewhere north of the city. The building specifics should be very doable though I don't know particular ones, so I can't help with that, and the MD side is packed with malls and other complexes so that grocery stores shouldn't be an issue either, but that's something to check with specific buildings. But the next things to weigh will determine cost:

1. Proximity to a Metro line. If you're on the MD side then either off the red or green line. There are a lot of apartment buildings clustered right on the Metro lines so that people can walk to them and work downtown. They tend to be more expensive (in fact often times as expensive as complexes in DC itself). If you are ok with being a 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk then the cost reduces significantly.

2. Inside or outside the Beltway. College Park is outside the Beltway, so you can live outside of it, which also reduces the cost significantly.

Most of the big apartment places also have parking lots/facilities so you should be fine in that sense. I wouldn't say that the whole Maryland side is run down at all, as it depends per neighborhood. Maybe the stuff that they usually rent to undergrads is, but there are a lot of nice places in the surrounding areas so take a look at them for sure.

Anyway, fire away with any other questions...

I'm considering both UMD-College Park and Catholic University of America. I have attempted roommates and it's really... just doesn't work for me. Granted, that was undergrad and we were both living in the same room. I would like a one bedroom or a studio but not sure if I'll be able to afford one.

I also will have a car so driving isn't that big of an issue minus parking at College Park is a nightmare (even in the summer when I visited). Any suggestions for neighborhoods? Or better yet, if I wanted a studio somewhat near (less than an hour commute) Catholic or College Park, what would it cost me a month, abouts?

i wrote earlier that its impossible to find a studio or one bedroom for under a grand. actually, i recently moved into a one bedroom apartment in takoma park. it isn't luxury, but it is safe and inexpensive and i am happy here. MD definitely isnt all a dump. it is possible to find something affordable and nice if you look hard enough (on craiglist and the umd housing website)

Thanks everyone!

I now have a slightly random question. Of all the apartments you looked at, how many had gas stoves?

I'm terrified by gas and would need electric otherwise I wouldn't use the stove at all!

I was accepted to gwu's mst program so I would have classes at Foggy Bottom campus and a separate building ~30 mn walk east (13th and G, I think?) Right now we're not paying more than 800 for a two bedroom apartment, but I fully expect that sort of price to not be possible in DC or the suburbs.

Can anyone comment on the feasibility of this?

Could we find something that I can commute to class (walk or metro) from for the two of us, maybe with a dog for less 1000? We may need two bedrooms so one can be an office for my husband since he may be working from home. I'd like a more safer than not neighborhood and we would need to find parking for our car.

I was accepted to gwu's mst program so I would have classes at Foggy Bottom campus and a separate building ~30 mn walk east (13th and G, I think?) Right now we're not paying more than 800 for a two bedroom apartment, but I fully expect that sort of price to not be possible in DC or the suburbs.

Could we find something that I can commute to class (walk or metro) from for the two of us, maybe with a dog for less 1000? We may need two bedrooms so one can be an office for my husband since he may be working from home. I'd like a more safer than not neighborhood and we would need to find parking for our car.

Sorry to bring you bad news, but that price isn't going to be possible for a two bedroom. The cheapest 2 bedrooms with a parking spot anywhere that's in an established neighborhood would be at least 2000 or so. You might be able to find a place that's around a mile from the Metro in VA or MD for less, but then you'd have a long walk to the Metro or have to drive in (through bad traffic and need to park downtown, which is fairly hard to find or expensive). Or if you were ok with a long ride in every day you could live out near Falls Church or Vienna, but even those would be closer to 2000 than 1000 or sure. As a comparison, 4 years ago a two bedroom out there would still be 1,600 and I imagine the price has gone up since then.

If you want a 1 bedroom plus a den (for working), then that might drop it down to around 1500 or so, so that's what I'd aim for somewhere fairly far out on the Orange Metro line. If you are ok with a 1 bedroom, then you can probably find one for around 1500 in an area in DC itself, although it might have to be an English basement for it to be that low.

Sorry to bring you bad news, but that price isn't going to be possible for a two bedroom. The cheapest 2 bedrooms with a parking spot anywhere that's in an established neighborhood would be at least 2000 or so. You might be able to find a place that's around a mile from the Metro in VA or MD for less, but then you'd have a long walk to the Metro or have to drive in (through bad traffic and need to park downtown, which is fairly hard to find or expensive). Or if you were ok with a long ride in every day you could live out near Falls Church or Vienna, but even those would be closer to 2000 than 1000 or sure. As a comparison, 4 years ago a two bedroom out there would still be 1,600 and I imagine the price has gone up since then.

If you want a 1 bedroom plus a den (for working), then that might drop it down to around 1500 or so, so that's what I'd aim for somewhere fairly far out on the Orange Metro line. If you are ok with a 1 bedroom, then you can probably find one for around 1500 in an area in DC itself, although it might have to be an English basement for it to be that low.

I figured it would be something like that, thanks

I currently live in one the Maryland suburbs and planned to just drive straight down to College Park and pay for the parking permit rather than the metro. For the last couple years my sister has been able to make the drive in less than 30 mins (as long as she times her classes right to avoid Maryland's traffic hazards). However, I'm still on the fence about whether to move closer or not.

I'm just wondering what factors others take into consideration when choosing to commute to their campus of choice. Is finding affordable accommodations the most important factor? Or finding an area to live in that brings you as close as possible to the campus to minimize travel time? Which one of these holds more value for commuting grad students?

The DC/College Park situation comes down to what matters most for you, since MD is so close to the city. In my mind the question is: do you want your own place for cheaper somewhere in the suburbs or do you want to share a place in DC itself so that you can go out more and meet more people? Now personally being in DC to be able to go out would matter more to me and the commute time from say Columbia Heights on the Metro is about the same (30-35 minutes). If you're at grad school that's so close to DC and want to meet non-grad students who are your age, then living in DC would seem to be a better idea. But then again, that's my personal view.

Is there a good resource online that lists the "safer" neighborhoods?

We found a place that looks nice, it's a couple blocks from the metro, the rent is twice what we're paying now for the same size but it's a "limited equity cooperative" and that just has me confused. Can anyone explain this?

For that matter is "6th St, SE" actually capitol hill area or even safe for that matter?

Actually this is possible but you will have to live in the suburbs within a bus ride to the Metro. I live in PG County and I pay 1000 for a 2 bedroom (not including electric) I'm a 15 min drive away from the Red or Green Line. When I first moved to my apartment I didn't have a car so I'd take the bus to the Metro and I could get downtown in 35 mins. Getting to and from Foggy Bottom in the evenings was closer to a hour due to transfering from the Blue/Orange to the Red. It is definitely do able to find cheap housing in a safe location. In my complex in particular there are lot of professional adults and graduate students from Howard, Catholic, GWU and UMD College Park. PM me and I can send you details regarding a couple of complexes.

Is there a good resource online that lists the "safer" neighborhoods?

We found a place that looks nice, it's a couple blocks from the metro, the rent is twice what we're paying now for the same size but it's a "limited equity cooperative" and that just has me confused. Can anyone explain this?

For that matter is "6th St, SE" actually capitol hill area or even safe for that matter?

No idea what that means, but Google it and I'm sure you'll find an answer. 6th Street SE is very safe and might even be in the Capitol Hill Police zone, which would make it even safer. That being said, there's no online resource for what's safe and what's not because safe is a relative term obviously. Anything in NW will be pretty safe as will places right near the Hill, but that doesn't mean that everyone will feel safe everywhere. As someone who grew up in a city (and as a guy), I'm comfortable in most places, but if you're from a rural or suburban location then your definition might be quite different. Generally though any place on the red line in NW, blue/orange from eastern market west, and on the yellow/green from Petworth and south are mostly fine - though obviously some buildings aren't as nice as others.

Actually this is possible but you will have to live in the suburbs within a bus ride to the Metro. I live in PG County and I pay 1000 for a 2 bedroom (not including electric) I'm a 15 min drive away from the Red or Green Line. When I first moved to my apartment I didn't have a car so I'd take the bus to the Metro and I could get downtown in 35 mins. Getting to and from Foggy Bottom in the evenings was closer to a hour due to transfering from the Blue/Orange to the Red. It is definitely do able to find cheap housing in a safe location. In my complex in particular there are lot of professional adults and graduate students from Howard, Catholic, GWU and UMD College Park. PM me and I can send you details regarding a couple of complexes.

I agreed above that this was doable for that price, but you need a car and you're in the suburbs rather than living in DC. Thus far less able to take advantage of DC life, which, in my mind, is one of the huge advantages of going to school in DC.

hi. I wanna bump this thread. hope somebody will help. I'm an international student planning on attending Gallaudet this fall. I haven't the slightest idea on getting around DC. I'll be coming with my husband and 6 mth baby, so I need a place of my own, and at the moment I estimate that I'll only be able to afford $900 or lower for rental. If someone could kindly advice me on my housing and transportation options. Considering my situation, do you think I'll need a car, since I've a baby?

I have been accepted to American and I was wondering if living with 1300 a month (rent+utilities+food+everything else) is doable. I wouldn't mind having a roommate but I would like to live near the school (I don't want to be in a subway/bus for more than 15/20 min!!!!).

Hi! congrats to everyone who has been offered admission this fall!

I've been offered admission to Gallaudet University and is seriously considering it. I am however coming all the way from southeast asia and i haven't the slightest idea on getting around DC or as a matter of fact anything out the city.

I'll be coming with my husband and a baby, so I need a place of my own, and at the moment I estimate that I'll only be able to afford $900 or lower for rental. If someone could kindly advice me on my housing and transportation options. Considering my situation, do you think I'll need a car, since I've a baby?

My priority is safety for my family, reasonable driving distance to Gallaudet (I presume that I'll need a car), affordable for me, preferably VA side (as I heard the sales tax is lower in VA). please kindly advice me. And I do appreciate any advice that anyone might have for me, considering that I'm coming from half way across the world with a baby.

thank you in advance!

I have been accepted to American and I was wondering if living with 1300 a month (rent+utilities+food+everything else) is doable. I wouldn't mind having a roommate but I would like to live near the school (I don't want to be in a subway/bus for more than 15/20 min!!!!).

Thanks. Andrea.

If you're ok living with another roommate (or a few other ones), then this should be doable. Plus, if you're fine living a 10-15 minute walk from the metro, but much closer to school via bus then just look somewhere up near the red line in northwest. The farther away from the center of DC you get the cheaper it will be. That being said, if you live up there getting places to go out for drinks, eat, visit museums, etc. will be much farther away. So that's the tradeoff.

Hi! congrats to everyone who has been offered admission this fall!

I've been offered admission to Gallaudet University and is seriously considering it. I am however coming all the way from southeast asia and i haven't the slightest idea on getting around DC or as a matter of fact anything out the city.

I'll be coming with my husband and a baby, so I need a place of my own, and at the moment I estimate that I'll only be able to afford $900 or lower for rental. If someone could kindly advice me on my housing and transportation options. Considering my situation, do you think I'll need a car, since I've a baby?

My priority is safety for my family, reasonable driving distance to Gallaudet (I presume that I'll need a car), affordable for me, preferably VA side (as I heard the sales tax is lower in VA). please kindly advice me. And I do appreciate any advice that anyone might have for me, considering that I'm coming from half way across the world with a baby.

thank you in advance!

Well it sounds like you want a car for your baby, which is understandable. That being said, I would advise against VA since Gallaudet is on the complete opposite end of DC, so even though sales taxes is lower you'll pay the same amount if you factor in time getting across the bridges and through DC (traffic is awful) and gas costs. You might be able to find something for around that price for a 1 bedroom or a studio near the school, but the neighborhood won't be that nice (I hesitate to say not as safe, but probably not, although that depends on your own level of what you feel is safe). My recommendation would be to look in Maryland to the east of the school and away from the metro line as that will drop down prices quite a bit and make your commute ok. I don't know the area at all, but try on Craigslist for Bladensburg or Landover. (These are literally guesses by the way, but I would still look around those areas of Maryland.)

If you're ok living with another roommate (or a few other ones), then this should be doable. Plus, if you're fine living a 10-15 minute walk from the metro, but much closer to school via bus then just look somewhere up near the red line in northwest. The farther away from the center of DC you get the cheaper it will be. That being said, if you live up there getting places to go out for drinks, eat, visit museums, etc. will be much farther away. So that's the tradeoff.

Well it sounds like you want a car for your baby, which is understandable. That being said, I would advise against VA since Gallaudet is on the complete opposite end of DC, so even though sales taxes is lower you'll pay the same amount if you factor in time getting across the bridges and through DC (traffic is awful) and gas costs. You might be able to find something for around that price for a 1 bedroom or a studio near the school, but the neighborhood won't be that nice (I hesitate to say not as safe, but probably not, although that depends on your own level of what you feel is safe). My recommendation would be to look in Maryland to the east of the school and away from the metro line as that will drop down prices quite a bit and make your commute ok. I don't know the area at all, but try on Craigslist for Bladensburg or Landover. (These are literally guesses by the way, but I would still look around those areas of Maryland.)

Thank you so much for your feedback. I wouldn't have any idea that virginia is on the other side and that maryland would be closer. They both appear to be nearby, judging from google map. lol. I can't be taking risk, so I'll want to avoid anything that has been mentioned as not safe or not so good area. Thanks again, I'll keep on searching.

If anyone else has any more advice for me, i'll be more than happy to hear it out :)

I have a quick question about neighborhoods... I will be attending Georgetown this fall and my partner will be doing a program at American, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with neighborhoods that might be accessible to both schools? I am really unfamiliar with DC and have heard that it's hard to find places to live that are easy to get to GT from to begin with, so I am wondering how impossible it will be to find somewhere that works for both of us. We have a fairly flexible budget and could handle living in the city of DC itself. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

For those in DC or have gone through renting there-

We found a handful of apartment buildings that we like but none have an apartment available currently. We would not move until June/July if we do move to the area (still haven't decided). Should we put in an application to be put on the waiting list or only apply in May/June to places that have open apartments?

DH has suggested using an apartment hunter since he used one when he lived in Houston but I don't know how useful they are in DC.

Also, my FIL has friends who could help us find a place Pentagon area (since FIL was stationed there in the past), since I have to be in the city regularly for classes would that area even make sense for us? I'm still hoping my mom's friend can find us a place in the capitol hill area near their church but that looks less promising.

I have a quick question about neighborhoods... I will be attending Georgetown this fall and my partner will be doing a program at American, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with neighborhoods that might be accessible to both schools? I am really unfamiliar with DC and have heard that it's hard to find places to live that are easy to get to GT from to begin with, so I am wondering how impossible it will be to find somewhere that works for both of us. We have a fairly flexible budget and could handle living in the city of DC itself. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Gtown is basically off by itself and not tied into the Metro system except via a 15-20 minute walk to Rosslyn. That being said, if you are both ok living off a Metro line and being away from the center of DC (i.e. families and more residential) look in Glover Park, Cathedral Heights or anywhere up Wisconsin Avenue really since you'll both be a quick bus ride to your respective schools.

For those in DC or have gone through renting there-

We found a handful of apartment buildings that we like but none have an apartment available currently. We would not move until June/July if we do move to the area (still haven't decided). Should we put in an application to be put on the waiting list or only apply in May/June to places that have open apartments?

DH has suggested using an apartment hunter since he used one when he lived in Houston but I don't know how useful they are in DC.

Also, my FIL has friends who could help us find a place Pentagon area (since FIL was stationed there in the past), since I have to be in the city regularly for classes would that area even make sense for us? I'm still hoping my mom's friend can find us a place in the capitol hill area near their church but that looks less promising.

Most people don't use an apartment hunter and there's no real need for it in DC, since that will just cost extra money. As for the places you like, you could be put on a wait list if there is a place that you visited and you really love. That being said, if you wait until May/June/July that's when people really move a lot so there should be a ton more openings across the board. Plus, you'll have trouble finding a place this far in advance anyway.

Pentagon City will be a tad expensive for places, but you can look in Crystal City which is just a little father out and there are a bunch of complexes there, but not much else since it's a pretty boring suburban sprawl (though the apartments are fairly reasonable and have pools in the complex). If you have a week or so to come out and look at places, then you should be able to get a place on Capitol Hill - though budget is a separate issue.