MPH Programs in Canada

MPH_hopeful

Hey kid,

Technically, you are not considered to have graduated from an accredited school in that case, but if your school was accredited within 3 years of your graduation you still receive one of the main practical benefits, in that you are allowed to take the NBPHE test for public health professionals and get credentialed, which is otherwise restricted to graduates of accredited schools only.

Holy run-on sentence, batman!

Here's the statement from the NBPHE FAQ at nbphe.org:

" My School Was Accredited After I Graduated, Can I Still Take the Exam?

You can take the exam if you graduated up to three years before the CEPH–accreditation date of your school or program. (Example: University of Alabama at Birmingham was accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health [CEPH] in 1978. If you graduated in 1975 or thereafter, you are eligible to take the exam.) "

Are you certain that the CEPH accreditation is retroactive? I imagine you are...it just seems odd that that would be the case. I had no idea about that.

"Long time obsessive lurker here" too. I don't know anything about McGill's program other than their website, but I believe it has the best international reputation of any university in Canada (based on my friends in the US and Australia). They rejected meangry.gif And I'm still waiting on U of T. sad.gif Although I really didn't spend much time on their apps (McGill's was a nuisance) because I didn't really want to go to either place, but everyone needs a plan b, or c, or d... But another great university cool.gifoffered me a major scholarship, so it's all goodtongue.gif But as you say, McGill's is a revamping of another program, so there shouldn't be too many hiccups. Let us know your thoughts on where you might go??!!huh.gif Just curious about everyone's thought processes.

Long time obsessive lurker here. Thanks to everyone for the great information and discussion!

McGill: Does anyone know more details of the program beyond obviously what is available on the website? I hear they are pursuing CEPH accreditation, which is a nice perk I suppose, although I have no intention to move to the US. Does anyone know if their practicums are paid or stipended like at UBC? Also, does anyone know if you can TA outside of the department (assuming of course, that you have completed and excelled in those courses in undergrad). Obviously the school is great, but what are people's thoughts on McGill's new MSc.PH program vis-a-vis other programs? I know it's 'new' but it's basically a re-brand of their MSc. Epidemiology (non-thesis) so it's in fact quite established.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the info. Just getting a scholarship for a professional degree (anywhere, including UBC) is quite an accomplishment in Canada. Most go to PhDs or research masters. You must have quite the impressive CV?? Congrats (even if you decline it). Which uni are you leaning towards? I'm assuming you must have accepted or declined UBC's offer by now? They wanted me to let them know a month ago, but extended it a bit.

Thanks for your comments. I think I'm leaning towards McGill but still waiting for UofT's final decision. UBC and Vancouver would be lovely and I'd be up for a change since I did my undergrad at McGill. UBC extended their deadline for me as well, but their offer was still so much earlier than the other schools (Feb 28) that I ended up still having to accept because, well, it would have been stupid to reject the offer without an alternative. Of course, this puts me in a bit of a predicament now.

Edited by dr.p

We did it! Just got mine!

5 minutes before that, I got an email from UVic saying that they still haven't made any decisions. Did anyone else apply there? Did you find their bureaucracy totally insane?

I think it's a mixture of my final tonight and 2 papers to write this weekend lol along with my OCD tendency to check

Edited by Anastasia HF

Uh Oh! Okay. Now, I'm worried. Did anyone else from SFU get their formal offer of admission? What stream were you in? At least, you can rest now/concentrate on other things. I looked at UVic, but the fact that they limited one's CV to a few pages was enough for me not to bother. And it's brand new so that's another major downside.

We did it! Just got mine!

5 minutes before that, I got an email from UVic saying that they still haven't made any decisions. Did anyone else apply there? Did you find their bureaucracy totally insane?

Sorry to worry you! I was accepted to the Population Health stream. I'm sure others will come out soon. It was a totally generic letter. We just need to inform by April 27.

Uh Oh! Okay. Now, I'm worried. Did anyone else from SFU get their formal offer of admission? What stream were you in?

Not a problem. I'm just glad they've started moving on this stuff. I'm in the population health stream too, so I guess I'll be seeing you in September unless SFU changes its mind about mehuh.gif In which case, I'm in trouble since I've declined UBC.

Sorry to worry you! I was accepted to the Population Health stream. I'm sure others will come out soon. It was a totally generic letter. We just need to inform by April 27.

I applied to their occupational and environmental health stream, but I realized it isn't the stream that I wanted after finding out about where graduates usually work afterwards. I'm wondering if I should suck it up and try it since UofT is located nicely in central toronto with plenty of job opportunity and networking opportunity, or if I should accept the Queens MPH which is newer (and may still have leeway for refinement and improvement) program, but contain courses that I ultimately prefer over UofT. ... :S

Pebbles

U of T has had a program for longer ... Don't they make you specialize in an area like Epi or Health Promotion? Is that of interest to you?

I got my offer too, but it really didn't say anything different! Just said I had to accept by April 27th! Anything else from anyone else???

Don't worry! I'm sure they will send the rest out Monday! I'm the Global Health Stream and the offer wasn't even the official Dean offer- just asking us to accept or decline from the FHS.

Uh Oh! Okay. Now, I'm worried. Did anyone else from SFU get their formal offer of admission? What stream were you in? At least, you can rest now/concentrate on other things. I looked at UVic, but the fact that they limited one's CV to a few pages was enough for me not to bother. And it's brand new so that's another major downside.

Does anybody know of anyone that have been in the Occupational and Environmental Health stream of MPH at UofT? It seems like it is quite a small stream at UofT since everybody seems to be mostly in epid or health promotion.... :(

Pebbles

When I completed a work placement at the City of Toronto in the Occupational Health, Safety and Workers' Compensation Department... We had about 3-4 Occupational Hygiene Consultants (all graduated from the OEH MPH Program from UofT) who mainly provided consulting services to various divisions of the City.. so for example Toronto Humane Society... Toronto Water.. Social Services.. etc. etc. The pay grade was good... and the work they were doing was mainly reducing workplace injuries, as well implementing new programs to help reduce environmental exposures to workplace hazards.. The manager of the department was also from OEH, however, her role was somewhat different and mainly focused on 'big picture' stuff.. such as implementing new policy changes for the city regarding workplace hazards..

This is just one aspect I of OEH on a municipal level.. I'm sure there are other people out there who also received training end education from UofT's OEH MPH doing other things with their knowledge and skills.

Does anybody know of anyone that have been in the Occupational and Environmental Health stream of MPH at UofT? It seems like it is quite a small stream at UofT since everybody seems to be mostly in epid or health promotion.... :(

Pebbles

Speaking to some academic researchers doing public health and epi, they speak most highly of Toronto's program though. Just giving another perspective from academia side of things...

"Long time obsessive lurker here" too. I don't know anything about McGill's program other than their website, but I believe it has the best international reputation of any university in Canada (based on my friends in the US and Australia). They rejected meangry.gif And I'm still waiting on U of T. sad.gif Although I really didn't spend much time on their apps (McGill's was a nuisance) because I didn't really want to go to either place, but everyone needs a plan b, or c, or d... But another great university cool.gifoffered me a major scholarship, so it's all goodtongue.gif But as you say, McGill's is a revamping of another program, so there shouldn't be too many hiccups. Let us know your thoughts on where you might go??!!huh.gif Just curious about everyone's thought processes.

Thanks for creating this topic! I'm waiting to hear from University of Toronto for the health promotion stream. I was wondering if anyone knows when most acceptances go out? I applied for the global health focus so it might take longer. I also applied for McMaster's new Master's in Global Health Program. Does anyone know more about this program?

In general, UofT acceptances in MPH programs should be out around mid April. I know ppl who applied to epid have gotten acceptances; I applied to OEH and I received my acceptance two weeks ago. For the global health focus, I believe you have to be accepted into MPH first before they reevaluate your portfolio for the concentration. (That is what is currently undertaken for my application).

Pebbles

Thanks for creating this topic! I'm waiting to hear from University of Toronto for the health promotion stream. I was wondering if anyone knows when most acceptances go out? I applied for the global health focus so it might take longer. I also applied for McMaster's new Master's in Global Health Program. Does anyone know more about this program?

hello guys .... good to see so many MPH enthusiasts

I hope you guys can help me

I am an international student and have acceptances from UBC and SFU

SFU has offered me a scholarship as well

I am interested in the global health stream

where should I go

my preferences are

1) good reputation (at least enough to secure a job for as a fresh graduate 2) cost

3) less statistics

I have a clinical background

I completed a BSc in Biological Sciences with Distinction and a BA in Sociology with Distinction from the University of Calgary - Why do you ask?

I am in the exact same position as you (except for one "tiny" difference)-- I've been accepted at USask and SFU and am leaning towards USask but just waiting on the official acceptance from SFU to see what they will offer. I was actually in Saskatoon in February and spoke with the director and assistant director. They seem to really be pushing for accreditation for the program and so it is constantly undergoing changes--which can be positive (keeps getting "better") or negative (not very consistent). May I ask what you finished your undergrad in?

Hi Pebbles,

You've mentioned that you're currently finishing up your undergrad at Queens.. May I ask what program/degree you're working towards to?

Does anybody know where Queen's MPH students do their practica???

Thanks!

Pebbles

Do you have a position in the area of PH you want to work in? I took a year off after I completed my undergraduate while I applied to do a MPH and I wasn't able to get a position in PH... At least alot of the positions I was interested in you needed to have a Masters. If you have a position then it might be beneficial to take your degree online as your can build up your experience in the area, but if you don't have a position it might be better to go to a university. One question I would ask if if you do a practicum if you do the MPH online ... If not I wouldn't recommend doing as the practicum is essential to building skills required to enter the workforce.

Are you from Toronto?

I am also waiting to hear from U of T but my plans are to move out West especially having done my undergrad at U of T- I need change!

USask is far but I really think it would be more beneficial than an online program especially if you are not yet in the field. I am no expert but I think online programs benefit people who are already working and would like to pursue advanced degrees-- the online program probably provides them with a little bit more flexibility especially in terms of where they are situated.

Let me know if you decided on USask!

Definitely SFU if you want a better reputation and less statistics. Stats was the thing that turned me off of UBC when I spoke to the advisors there (I'm finishing my undergrad at UBC right now).

hello guys .... good to see so many MPH enthusiasts

I hope you guys can help me

I am an international student and have acceptances from UBC and SFU

SFU has offered me a scholarship as well

I am interested in the global health stream

where should I go

my preferences are

1) good reputation (at least enough to secure a job for as a fresh graduate 2) cost

3) less statistics

I have a clinical background

This is the 1st year that McGill is offering an MPH program so the only people that would have answers to yoru questions is McGill. Call the department and ask your questions. I have called in the past and the people that work there are usually helpful.

Long time obsessive lurker here. Thanks to everyone for the great information and discussion!

McGill: Does anyone know more details of the program beyond obviously what is available on the website? I hear they are pursuing CEPH accreditation, which is a nice perk I suppose, although I have no intention to move to the US. Does anyone know if their practicums are paid or stipended like at UBC? Also, does anyone know if you can TA outside of the department (assuming of course, that you have completed and excelled in those courses in undergrad). Obviously the school is great, but what are people's thoughts on McGill's new MSc.PH program vis-a-vis other programs? I know it's 'new' but it's basically a re-brand of their MSc. Epidemiology (non-thesis) so it's in fact quite established.

Many thanks.

I am completing a life sciences undergrad here at queens with a research component; i'm still not sure whether to accept Queens MPH program. It is a generalized MPH so it does not specialize into streams like UofT. They have courses that target different areas of PH such as health promotion, health policy, epid, etc.; however I want to see where students go for their practicum, because I feel that UofT students may get better practicum just because of their location. I just want to compare before I accept either.

Pebbles

Hi Pebbles,

You've mentioned that you're currently finishing up your undergrad at Queens.. May I ask what program/degree you're working towards to?

If I were you and you are not interested in working in Environmental and Occupational Health then I would go to Queen's. If you prefer the courses then go to Queen's!! That is how I decided between Queen's and USask - I prefer the courses at USask. It is a course based Masters so you want to get the most out of it. Plus, Kingston is a 3 huors train ride to either Toronto or Montreal so it is in a good location and I have talked to people from Queen's and all say that for a small city it offers all the ammenities that one would want.

I applied to their occupational and environmental health stream, but I realized it isn't the stream that I wanted after finding out about where graduates usually work afterwards. I'm wondering if I should suck it up and try it since UofT is located nicely in central toronto with plenty of job opportunity and networking opportunity, or if I should accept the Queens MPH which is newer (and may still have leeway for refinement and improvement) program, but contain courses that I ultimately prefer over UofT. ... :S

Pebbles