yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

I have no idea about the Neil Ave efficiency apartments. Sorry! I do know that it was really difficult for me to get an apartment without actually being in Columbus, but not impossible (some were willing to work with me if I had someone in town to look at the apartment for me; I also think you can apply at Buckeye Village without needing someone to be there). 

Also note that it's really only the #2 line that runs pretty frequently to/from campus, and only during peak hours. So it's a good line to live on. The other lines are not as frequent (every 15-30 minutes), which is disappointing but you can make it work.

I have a pet. Therefore, I need a pet friendly apartment. I am specfically looking at complexes. Any recommendations?

OK, I'm interested to know more about Upper Arlington area. Turns out it's very close to the lab, on Kinnear Road, I'm supposed to be working in.

Any info on rent comparison, proximity to decent grocery stores, the kind of people that live there, number of grad students there, etc. would be appreciated.

I think North Campus (officially called Old North Columbus) is a great area. There seem to be many more grad students on this side of campus. East campus is very frat-heavy, south campus is kind of mixed but also probably undergrad-heavy. Old North is also really making a comeback as the nice neighborhood, because South campus is getting very shady very quickly. So there's lots of cafes and bars and a cupcake shop along high street north of Lane and south of Hudson-ish. Also a great up-and-coming neighborhood is Clintonville, which is just a bit north of Old North.

The other good area for grad students is Grandview, although it's not walking distance (and not near your lab). It's the area directly northwest of OSU campus (across the river) and there are LOTS of fun things to do in Grandview (bars, cafes, there's a candle-making shop where you can make candles).

Victorian Village is gorgeous but very expensive. Also, the periphery of VV is not very nice, and getting less-nice by the week. Same for Short North, and I wouldn't live south of King until approx 2nd-ish. That area in between has been really falling apart (boarded up houses, lots of creeps at night).

So out of curiosity, if a Muslim woman were to walk around the city with a scarf on her head, how would the people react? Obviously there will be stares anywhere she goes, but would they treat her like an outcast or actually speak to her like any other woman would be treated? 

So out of curiosity, if a Muslim woman were to walk around the city with a scarf on her head, how would the people react? Obviously there will be stares anywhere she goes, but would they treat her like an outcast or actually speak to her like any other woman would be treated? 

There are lots of women wearing hijab in Columbus, especially near the university. It's not an oddity, and there is a large Muslim community. I mean, anywhere in the U.S. and even Europe you will get people who will stare, but you definitely won't be alone in wearing hijab and most people won't be rude or anything.

Edited by iphi

I loved in Columbus before going elsewhere for graduate school, and I thought the city actually had a sizable population of Muslims for the Midwest. I know that it's got the #2 population of Somalis in the US (#1 is Minneapolis). So it's not all that unusual to see women walking around with the hijab.

Certain neighborhoods, of course, are going to be more accepting than others. Anywhere close to campus you'll find people who are more tolerant and accepting--large LGBT population, international population, etc. You go farther out to the suburbs and you're also largely okay. You go farther out than that, though, and you are in Godly America.

I agree with the others. There are lots of Muslim women here, and it's not a rare sight at all. I know that I speak to them like anyone else! So I wouldn't worry about it much. :)

Landlord recommendations?  Just wondering who to avoid and what to look for in my apartment/house search!

Landlord recommendations?  Just wondering who to avoid and what to look for in my apartment/house search!

I don't have anybody in particular to recommend, but I will suggest that you avoid Olentangy Commons. That's where I currently live, and while you do get a decent amount of space for the amount of money you pay, their maintenance is quite poor. I'm planning to move as soon as my lease is up.

Edited by toasterazzi

Does anyone have thoughts on a location that is good for grads but also bike friendly when commuting to campus? I don't have a car and want to start off biking until I save up enough for a vehicle. Thanks!

Does anyone have thoughts on a location that is good for grads but also bike friendly when commuting to campus? I don't have a car and want to start off biking until I save up enough for a vehicle. Thanks!

Living near the Olentangy Trail would be a smart thing to do, then. The trail runs along the river of the same name and is designed specifically for bicyclists. It runs right through campus. You could live north or south of campus so long as you have easy access to the trail. From there, it's just a matter of what biking distances are comfortable to you.

Otherwise, the areas immediately north and south of campus would be decent places to live. East of campus is a little higher crime, though I'm sure some people have had success in that area. West of campus will feel a little more like a suburb, cost a little more, and likely be a fair distance from the locations on campus where you'll be going. Neighborhood names to keep in mind would be Victorian Village, Harrison West, Olde North, Clintonville, and the Short North.

Edited by JLRC

Living near the Olentangy Trail would be a smart thing to do, then. The trail runs along the river of the same name and is designed specifically for bicyclists. It runs right through campus. You could live north or south of campus so long as you have easy access to the trail. From there, it's just a matter of what biking distances are comfortable to you.

Otherwise, the areas immediately north and south of campus would be decent places to live. East of campus is a little higher crime, though I'm sure some people have had success in that area. West of campus will feel a little more like a suburb, cost a little more, and likely be a fair distance from the locations on campus where you'll be going. Neighborhood names to keep in mind would be Victorian Village, Harrison West, Olde North, Clintonville, and the Short North.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'll set my home searches in those areas. Might be stretching the budget in those areas after looking at the prices of houses but I'll keep searching!

Greetings!  

I am considering OSU, but I have a family (hubby and 5y/o daughter).  Any advice for where we might live?  We are in Cincinnati now.  Is it harder making connections than when you are unattached :) ?

Greetings!  

I am considering OSU, but I have a family (hubby and 5y/o daughter).  Any advice for where we might live?  We are in Cincinnati now.  Is it harder making connections than when you are unattached :) ?

There are lots of great schools and communities within close range of OSU! Try Upper Arlington and Grandview first. Farther away there is Dublin, Worthington, Bexley, and many, many other great places.

I will be finishing my undergrad at OSU this semester - I have lived in Columbus for the past 3.5 years, and in Ohio for my entire life (minus summers out of state for the past 2 years). Feel free to PM me if you have questions. It's worth noting that I know nothing about the "party life" at OSU so if you want info on that or the LGBT status of Columbus I am not the person to ask since I simply don't know.

I agree with iphi - a lot of those suburbs are very nice. Depending on how much you're willing to spend there are very nice areas to live in close to Columbus. I currently live in an apartment in Upper Arlington and the commute is definitely tolerable.

Hi, everybody. 

I am moving to Columbus for PhD this fall. I am searching for apts right now. 

Does anybody know anything about Colony Square Apts? It's pretty close to the school, so I am afraid it's full of undergrad students and partying 24/7. Does anybody have specific recommendations? I am looking into apt complex with management office, since I won't be able to visit before I move in (I am living in New Jersey right now). Like what most grad students prefer, I prefer quite apts that's not too far from the city/night life/fun etc. But, I don't want to live surrounded by undergrads/frats partying all day. Any suggestions? 

Thanks guys! 

will you have a car? It's a bit far to walk. I know of the place you're talking about. General rule of thumb for quietness: West campus is quieter than north campus is quieter than south campus is quieter than east of high on south campus.

So if you want quiet and want to avoid undergrads, west of the olentangy river (including colony club) is the best way to go.

I don't know what it's like to live in colony club, but it looks like an average apartment.

I am currently living in Runaway Bay apartments which is a bit farther, I drive in every day. It has been very quiet, especially compared to when I lived on north campus last year.

I toured OSU and checked out apartments there and I really liked Governor's Square. I think a lot of graduate students tend to live there so it's pretty quiet. I also hear good things about the on-campus graduate student apartments.

Hello everyone,

I have recently accepted an offer to attend graduate school at the Ohio State University starting in the fall. I have been searching for apartments in neighboring towns to Columbus, OH like Clintonville, Grandview, Victorian Village, German Village, Worthington, etc since my research found that these were the best neighborhoods to live in. However I am finding it difficult to find an apartment complex with a decent approval rating. I have found many places within my price range (less than $650 a month) but there are always a bunch of really negative comments about the place and low approval ratings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for apartment complexes that they have lived in or know someone who has and that they would recommend for a graduate student to live in? 

Thank you!

you should keep in mind that generally only people who had a bad experience will leave reviews. People who had decent experiences generally will not think to leave a review.

will you have a car? It's a bit far to walk. I know of the place you're talking about. General rule of thumb for quietness: West campus is quieter than north campus is quieter than south campus is quieter than east of high on south campus.

So if you want quiet and want to avoid undergrads, west of the olentangy river (including colony club) is the best way to go.

I don't know what it's like to live in colony club, but it looks like an average apartment.

I am currently living in Runaway Bay apartments which is a bit farther, I drive in every day. It has been very quiet, especially compared to when I lived on north campus last year.

Yeah I will have a car. Having said that commuting won't be a problem. I guess it would be nice to live close enough to walk, but then distance is not in the top priority for me (def something I consider though when I am searching for the apts). 

Thanks for you tip. 

Edited by JY_Lou

That's fairly close to where I live. The population is mostly younger professionals, not many undergrads are willing to live that far from campus (myself excluded since I am an undergrad!). Like I was saying above, it is a bit far to walk or bike (especially during the winter) so you will definitely need your car.

Edited by doomination

That's fairly close to where I live. The population is mostly younger professionals, not many undergrads are willing to live that far from campus (myself excluded since I am an undergrad!). Like I was saying above, it is a bit far to walk or bike (especially during the winter) so you will definitely need your car.

How about kinnear rd? Based on what you said, I am guessing it's still quite and filled mostly with grad/young professionals?? I found an apt named Stadium View right there. Location-wise, it's actually perfect for me. 

Thanks for the reply btw. You are being a big help :) 

I just looked at the location. That is probably close enough that you wouldn't need to drive if you were willing to live by the bus schedule. Since it is closer it will also likely have more undergrads but it should be quiet at least relative to father east.

No problem!

Edited by doomination