yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

On 2018/1/18 at 10:23 PM, kachokie said:

Hi y'all! I just got accepted to OSU for PhD in Linguistics. I'm a single female and trying to figure out where might be a decent place to live, that's safe. I'll be looking at about 20,000 per year in stipend probably, so I'm flexible. I'd be open to living solo, studio, one bedroom, or in a 2 or 3 bed room as long as they have separate baths (I have a cat and don't want to shove litterboxes upon others lol). Where are good places to be looking? What prices should I be expecting? 

TLDR; Need tips on places to live safely as a young female. 

Honestly, the grad housing on campus could be worst. The buildings on Neil Ave. and at Gateway are quite new, and because you're in the Linguistics department, if you lived at the one on Neil you'd be literally a block and a half from Oxley Hall. The main downside is that it's exceedingly expensive (~$800/mo and up) for what you're actually getting with the apartment. I lived in grad housing for a year when I started here, and minus the cost, it was pretty pleasant.

Off-campus, I'd suggest Harrison West, Victorian Village, Grandview, or Clintonville. Harrison West and Victorian Village are both right next to each other, and on the lower end you can expect to pay about ~$900/mo for a two bedroom (I split a $1000/mo townhome with my spouse in this area). Clintonville is a bit north of campus, but it's right on the Olentangy River bike trail, which makes for a super pleasant commute if you like biking. I've also had a number of colleagues who have lived in Grandview, and they had nothing but nice things to say about it, though it's a bit harder to bike to campus from there since it's on the other side of a large highway.

I feel reasonably safe walking in all these locations at night, and each of them is on one of the bus routes.

17 hours ago, amayadoli said:

Honestly, the grad housing on campus could be worst. The buildings on Neil Ave. and at Gateway are quite new, and because you're in the Linguistics department, if you lived at the one on Neil you'd be literally a block and a half from Oxley Hall. The main downside is that it's exceedingly expensive (~$800/mo and up) for what you're actually getting with the apartment. I lived in grad housing for a year when I started here, and minus the cost, it was pretty pleasant.

Off-campus, I'd suggest Harrison West, Victorian Village, Grandview, or Clintonville. Harrison West and Victorian Village are both right next to each other, and on the lower end you can expect to pay about ~$900/mo for a two bedroom (I split a $1000/mo townhome with my spouse in this area). Clintonville is a bit north of campus, but it's right on the Olentangy River bike trail, which makes for a super pleasant commute if you like biking. I've also had a number of colleagues who have lived in Grandview, and they had nothing but nice things to say about it, though it's a bit harder to bike to campus from there since it's on the other side of a large highway.

I feel reasonably safe walking in all these locations at night, and each of them is on one of the bus routes.

Really?? I am an international student and will be starting my graduate program from this fall. And I thought I better choose on campus housing over off campus. As an international student, it would be hard to find an off campus housing. As far as I can tell, most houses are even not furnished, which means I need to set up an house prior to my arrival on Columbus!!

That is why I thought it'd be literally impossible. So for an alternative option, I would like to stay on campus for a quarter or something and I will move out with the information which I would get by actually living there.

Is it a bad decision??

It seems like I already made a decision by myself, but I am literally open to any options. Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Always said:

Really?? I am an international student and will be starting my graduate program from this fall. And I thought I better choose on campus housing over off campus. As an international student, it would be hard to find an off campus housing. As far as I can tell, most houses are even not furnished, which means I need to set up an house prior to my arrival on Columbus!!

That is why I thought it'd be literally impossible. So for an alternative option, I would like to stay on campus for a quarter or something and I will move out with the information which I would get by actually living there.

Is it a bad decision??

It seems like I already made a decision by myself, but I am literally open to any options. Thank you in advance.

On campus is definitely easier! That was one of the reasons I chose it actually--I was moving back to Columbus from abroad, and I didn't have the chance to look for any off campus housing. The quality of it is definitely not bad since it was all built recently. But, if you're in the humanities/social sciences, the rent for on campus housing is basically half the monthly stipend. It's not bad for a year, but living there makes it basically impossible to put any money in savings. 

Another option, if you don't mind living around undergraduates, is trying the University Village (http://universityvillage.com/). It's off-campus, and a good bit cheaper than on-campus housing, and there's a dedicated University Village bus that runs to and from campus from the complex. A lot of international students live here because it's easy to arrange from overseas, and the majority of the apartments seem to be furnished.

I went to OSU for undergrad so I have a basic idea of what neighborhoods are best, etc. However, at the time I lived in Dennison Place and rented. This time my husband and I are looking to buy a house, and obviously buying one affordable + very close to campus is going to be next to impossible. We're looking at the Maize/Morse and Forest Park East areas primarily. Does anyone have experience commuting to campus by either car or COTA from the burbs? Any tips? Is it a bad idea? (Fortunately my department is right next to the West Campus parking lots, so I'm not worried about parking). 

Hi I'll be starting at OSU this coming fall, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how actually living at Colony Square Apartments or living in the Neil efficiency apartments on campus is? Any help is appreciated.

Current OSU Students: Is the gym super crowded? I know there's multiple gyms/athletic centers that students have access too but with so many people is it constantly packed?

is it worth the while paying for another gym in Columbus for peace of mind/not having to wait forever for a machine?

1 hour ago, SomeoneThrewMyShoe said:

Current OSU Students: Is the gym super crowded? I know there's multiple gyms/athletic centers that students have access too but with so many people is it constantly packed?

is it worth the while paying for another gym in Columbus for peace of mind/not having to wait forever for a machine?

It's really about what time you go. 4-9 pm will be packed, the mornings are practically empty. If you google each facility, it will give you a basic idea of when not to go using the popular times feature. I also recommend going to the ARC instead of the RPAC/JON/JOS, as it's on far west campus where undergrads living on campus tend not to go. 

5 hours ago, AB121212 said:

It's really about what time you go. 4-9 pm will be packed, the mornings are practically empty. If you google each facility, it will give you a basic idea of when not to go using the popular times feature. I also recommend going to the ARC instead of the RPAC/JON/JOS, as it's on far west campus where undergrads living on campus tend not to go. 

Thank you! I'm living near the Necko neighborhood so I was looking at going to JOS - but I was worried it was going to be super crowded. My mornings are free though so hopefully it won't be too bad! 

Has anyone lived or know of anyone who has lived in University Village?  

Also, does anyone bike the Olentangy trial to campus? I was wondering if this was plowed during the winter months. 

Thanks!