yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

Larry's is okay. I'm glad you at least saw a little of high street. Students and faculty are pretty nice here and that's one of the first things I noticed. For the first few days, I walked around with my campus map and people always stopped me to make sure I knew where I was going. Everyone was a little talkative during the first couple days of classes (as opposed to that weird silence you get before the professor walks in), which was nice. OSU has such a mix of students, there's a group for everyone.

yin-bodhi, thanks for all the info. it's been really helpful. i was wondering whether you know anything about the weather (or other stuff) in madison, wisconsin? is the weather (or other stuff) better than madison?

I don't have a clue, sorry. I guess you could look things up on The Weather Channel's site. There are also sites where you can compare cities. Good luck!

Okay, so there's a good chance I might be coming to OSU for my Ph.D.... can anyone give me a clearer idea of where exactly "Short North" and "Clintonville" are? Are there street names that designate these areas, or are those street names themselves? What side (north, south, east, west) of the city are these areas in, and where is OSU in relation to them?

Probably preliminary I know, but I'd like to have a sense of where I might be living if I go there.

Okay, so there's a good chance I might be coming to OSU for my Ph.D.... can anyone give me a clearer idea of where exactly "Short North" and "Clintonville" are? Are there street names that designate these areas, or are those street names themselves? What side (north, south, east, west) of the city are these areas in, and where is OSU in relation to them?

Probably preliminary I know, but I'd like to have a sense of where I might be living if I go there.

OSU is located just north of downtown along a main corridor (high st.--on a map you might see it as SR 23, but the actual SR 23 jags around a bit so it might look a little confusing). clintonville is just north of campus along high st.; the short north is just south of campus on high st. so, as you're traveling south down high st., you'll see: clintonville, then campus, then the short north. as far as street names go:

clintonville: from approx. charleston ave. on the north end to approx. olentangy st. on the sound end. (see a map here: http://www.clintonville.com/areamap/areamap.html)

campus: from approx. lane ave. on the north end to approx. 11th ave. on the south end. (see a map here: http://www.osu.edu/map/)

short north: from approx. king ave. on the north end to approx. nationwide blvd. on the sound end (see a map here: http://www.shortnorth.org/map.php)

hope this helps!

Thank you for your help! Anybody still attending or applying to OSU this year? I'm visiting the campus the week after next and would love to know what I should look for, see, etc. Also, anyone in the graduate theatre program at OSU?

If you get a chance (and it's not too cold), go on the campus tour. I went on the official campus one and really liked the campus. There's a stretch of shops and arts stuff near campus (can't remember the name but it's in this thread somewhere) that's also pretty cool. Oh, and there's a H&M in Columbus, I think.

Hi,

I am newly join in this site.Columbus earned its nickname "The Arch City" because of the dozens of metal (formerly wooden) arches that spanned High Street at the turn of the twentieth century. The arches illuminated the thoroughfare and eventually became the means by which electric power was provided to the new streetcars.

===================================

Rosey

I was wondering about the housing market in Columbus. Does anyone have advice on/has anyone bought a house and rented out rooms to other graduate students? Knowing I'll be there for 5 years or so (if that's where I decide to go), it seems like it could be a good idea. I'll have help with the down payment, so, ideally, the rent from the other rooms could cover the mortgage and slowly pay back the down payment. Any thoughts?

I was wondering about the housing market in Columbus. Does anyone have advice on/has anyone bought a house and rented out rooms to other graduate students? Knowing I'll be there for 5 years or so (if that's where I decide to go), it seems like it could be a good idea. I'll have help with the down payment, so, ideally, the rent from the other rooms could cover the mortgage and slowly pay back the down payment. Any thoughts?

You might try looking at the off-campus housing website (http://offcampus.osu.edu/) or craigslist if you want to split a house with other people. You'll want to look around Clintonville, Grandview, or maybe the Short North/Victorian Village as that's where most graduate students live. I think that you should rent an apartment for the first year you're in Columbus and once you've lived here a while and met some people (and become more familiar with the city) see if you want to commit to buying a house.

Can anyone comment on LGBT life in Columbus? I know that the area around OSU, particularly Short North, is where the gays are at, but what is the gay life like there? I am coming from Los Angeles, so anything must be better than this. Just curious.

And, if my stipend (with tuition waiver) is approximately 14,000, how well can I expect to get by? Particularly if I live in Short North or Clintonville?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance any can give.

Please also comment on whether it would be possible to support a spouse on a similar stipend (14K) :(

I did my MA at OSU and lived with my spouse there. He worked part time the first year and then quit the second year to focus on his own MA (at another school) more, and we got loans to help us through the second year. It really depends on your lifestyle - what you want to be able to spend money, what sorts of bills you have. As far as cost of living, everything is very reasonably priced - food, utilities, etc. You would be looking at rent around 500-600 for a nice one bedroom apartment. I've known people who spent less, but they were more tolerant of living in areas that could be a bit more sketchy or filled with undergrads. I lived in Clintonville, which is a really nice area. It's not as trendy at Victorian Village or the Short North, but I found that the rent for a comparable place was much higher there. My husband and I were not able to manage on just my stipend because we had credit card bills to pay. If you don't have extra stuff like credit card debt, a car payment, etc., you may be able to scrape by on the stipend. Let me know if you have other questions or if there are specific things about the city I can tell you.

If I go to OSU, my wife would accompany me on a F2 (dependent) visa and that strictly forbids her from working. So we have to support ourselves with just one stipend. I will get a formal offer on the 10th (and will get to know exactly how much they'd give me). My final decision is going to be heavily based on living expenses and if I'd be able to support my wife on my stipend (in addition to all the other factors like research interests, etc). So your advice is greatly appreciated!

How is the music scene in Columbus? I would also like to continue taking piano lessons alongside my grad studies. Are there good private music schools in the area (that aren't too expensive, say I'd be willing to spend ~$150-$200 per month)?

I think that if you don't have extra expenses and you need to pay for is rent, utilities, food, and the occasional fun activity, you will be okay in Columbus with a spouse on an OSU stipend. You can look at www.metro-rentals.com to get a sense of the prices of rentals, but I should mention that my husband and I found a cheaper place by driving around neighborhoods and just looking for "for rent" signs in front yards in areas we wanted to live in.

I don't know too much about the music scene, except that a friend of mine recently investigated getting violin lessons, and found a great violin shop that rented instruments and kept a list of independent teachers. Their business was doing quite well and there were a lot of instructors, so I'd imagine that the music scene is pretty good. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in!

I don't know if it would be more or less expensive, but you could take Music 101.01 (Piano for non-majors) to start with. Or, once you got here, you could always advertise for an instructor at the School of Music (largely confined to Hughes Hall). All the music majors I know at OSU specialize in other instruments (tuba, oboe, and violin), however, so I don't know anyone specifically who could teach you.

I don't know if it would be more or less expensive, but you could take Music 101.01 (Piano for non-majors) to start with. Or, once you got here, you could always advertise for an instructor at the School of Music (largely confined to Hughes Hall). All the music majors I know at OSU specialize in other instruments (tuba, oboe, and violin), however, so I don't know anyone specifically who could teach you.

Thanks for the info. I would probably need to start with slightly more advanced classes that piano for non-majors. I last lessons I took were at the Vienna Conservatory, I've been playing for around 10 years now (but a lot of my practice methods were imprecise which led to some little technical flaws, some of which I corrected in Vienna). In any case, I believe, with the information that you just gave me, that I could find an instructor at the school of music.

Hi all,

It looks like i'll be going to OSU. I am an international and i will not be able to visit early. Anybody knows of the graduate housing -the non-traditional neil apartments and the neil avenue efficiencies?

Hi all,

It looks like i'll be going to OSU. I am an international and i will not be able to visit early. Anybody knows of the graduate housing -the non-traditional neil apartments and the neil avenue efficiencies?

I've never seen the efficiencies, but the apartments in the Neil Avenue Building, from their floorplans, are just about identical to my boyfriend's Worthing Building room. I really like it there - for a dorm, it's pretty comfy and spacious. It kind of makes me wish I still lived on campus. Both buildings were built at the same time (they're the newest dorms on campus), so I imagine they're very similar. The kitchens in the efficiencies aren't as big from the look of things. That's the only real disadvantage I see. The Neil Avenue Building is on South Campus and close to the hospital and most of the biological science buildings.

There are other graduate complexes, but they're not nearly as nice (Jones Graduate Tower on North Campus in in serious need of repairs).

I did my MA at OSU and lived with my spouse there. He worked part time the first year and then quit the second year to focus on his own MA (at another school) more, and we got loans to help us through the second year. It really depends on your lifestyle - what you want to be able to spend money, what sorts of bills you have. As far as cost of living, everything is very reasonably priced - food, utilities, etc. You would be looking at rent around 500-600 for a nice one bedroom apartment. I've known people who spent less, but they were more tolerant of living in areas that could be a bit more sketchy or filled with undergrads. I lived in Clintonville, which is a really nice area. It's not as trendy at Victorian Village or the Short North, but I found that the rent for a comparable place was much higher there. My husband and I were not able to manage on just my stipend because we had credit card bills to pay. If you don't have extra stuff like credit card debt, a car payment, etc., you may be able to scrape by on the stipend. Let me know if you have other questions or if there are specific things about the city I can tell you.

Thanks for the info.. I'll get to know the exact amount today and I'll get back here and let you know so that you can tell me how easy/difficult life will be on that amount. My offer letter says that my funding is guaranteed for the first five *academic years* where one academic year runs from Oct1 to Jun30. Could anybody tell me about what activities graduate students who don't get funded for the summers engage in? I'm an international student and I might not be able to afford to pay for my flight tickets back and forth from home in the summer. I do hope I get to work on some project or the other and thereby have some summer earnings.. With a wife to support, every penny counts. Thanks for all the advice!

I am also considering OSU with no car. Right now I use a bike to get around, and I would be interested to know if this would work in Columbus. Also, are there farmer's markets or other natural food stores (e.g. co-ops) near the university? And what do you think of the public transportation?

During the summer there are a few to choice from. I typically go to Grandview on weekends, though I believe the North Market is open year round. There is a Whole Foods right by campus, and a Kroger in Grandview that has a decent selection of organic food. If you make friends w/ someone with a car, there is a Trader Joe's about 20 minutes away in Easton Town Center (aka giant Suburban strip mall).

As for a bike, I have a car but almost never use it because I live in Grandview right by West Campus. I am on the 84 bus line at Northwest and Chambers. There are a ton of grocery stores, fast food places, cleaners, etc in the area. You can either take the 84 to campus, just walk to west campus and take the campus buses, or ride your bike (about 15 minutes) when the weather is nice. The 84 takes you to the Lennox Town Center (PetCo, Target, Barnes&Noble, World Market, AMC movie theater, Old Navy, etc). You can also ride your bike the half mile to the Shops on Lane Ave (Whole Foods, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ann Taylor Loft, etc).

Depending on your stipend, roommates, etc, you could live in Colony Club (about 600 a month), Heritage (more expensive, not as nice, but allows pets), the Meridian (about 800-900 a month, but nicer), Drayton Court (even more expensive). I recommend looking on Craigslist or driving through though b/c there are a lot of For Rent signs in the area. Everyone that I know that lives in the area (somewhere between 5th and Lane to the West of campus) loves the location. Some apartments are nicer than others, but the convenience is amazing.

Hi all,

I'm moving closer towards accepting the PhD offer from OSU. Need some more information:

1) My first year stipend is likely to be around $12960 for 9 months + $1610 per month for the summers. They are also expecting a slight increase in that stipend amount of 12960 after some review that is to take place soon.

I do not know about the taxes that will be levied on my stipend. If there are international students from OSU who are on similar stipends, could you please tell me the approx amount you receive per month after taxes? I expect to pay around $500-600 towards rent. Another $100-150 for utilities. $100 more maybe for internet, phone, etc. I would also be taking private music lessons which will cost me some $150-200 per month. $400 for groceries. So I'm estimating my monthly expenses to come to around $1300-1400. Is this a good estimate? My wife will accompany me on a F2 visa and will not work. So she would be living on my stipend as well.

2) How much would a decent second hand car cost (post 2000 model)? Tell me about how car insurances work.. I really have no idea about the system in the US.

3) Are there nice places in or near Columbus my wife and I could travel to during the weekends for little pleasure trips?

4) Safe neighbourhoods for graduate students and families? I gather Clintonville is one such neighbourhood, from some of the posts here. Any other suggestions?

5) Any advice about other expenses I may have to consider. Any other advice for an international grad student with a dependent (spouse). My professor tells me about this great health insurance plan. 85% subsidized by the university and says it would cost me just $209 per quarter to pay for our insurance (both of us covered). Is this the only health insurance we'd need?

Thank you!